Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like Malaseb Flush is no longer being manufactured. Not happy about this, because it's one thing Murray could actually tolerate to cleanse his underarm yeast outbreaks. The Malaseb Flush is a Miconazole base with Chlorhexidine.

He can't tolerate anything with ketoconazole, or alcohol. What the vet finally came up with were Douxo wipes, 3% Chlorhexidine.

Any other hounds out there with super sensitive skin ? If so, what do you use?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike-

I use Dermapet's Malacetic Otic (2% acetic acid and 2% boric acid) for Murrays ears- it works great, and is the only thing that doesn't cause severe inflammation and irritation. We went through a lot of trial and error before we found this product.

The vet actually suggested the malacetic wipes you mentioned as another option, and if the the Chlorhexidine wipes start to cause a problem, I'll try the malacetic wipes next.

It's frustrating to have to go through trial and error again, after all these years of using something that works.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Malesab Pledgets are very hard to find these days. I work at a Vet's office and the Malesab Shampoo has been on backorder.[/b]
According to my vet, and a vet supply company I talked with,the company that makes Malaseb is "in transition" - even though Malaseb Flush is listed as a backordered item, it will no longer be made.

The vet you work for might want to check with their supply source about what's happening with this company and it's other products.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess I will have a problem getting the Chlorexiderm as well since that company also makes that. Crap. That's one of the few products that does seem to help Yogi's feet and underarms.[/b]
My vet suggested Douxo pads- they come 30 pads to a little round container, are 3%Chlorhexidine, made by SOGEVAL - I haven't used them yet, so I can't reccommend them from personal experience. I'm still using the small amount of Maleseb I have left.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are those pads something you need to get at the vet?

I do have almost a full bottle of Malesab left, looks like the date on the bottom of the bottle is 10/09 though. I would be happy to send it to you if you want it. I only used it once or twice. Gah, the smell of that stuff! The Malesab does not work for Yogi at all. Only the Chlorexiderm.

Another thought, many companies online sell these type of products and may still have them in stock so it might be worthwhile to check them out such as allivet, entirely pets or drs foster and smith.

How is Murray doing with the thyroid medicine? Is it helping his skin clear up at all?[/b]

Here's a link to order it online: http://www.entirelypets.com/douxochlorhexidinepspads.html , along with the product description. Thankyou for offering to send the malaseb to me :p , but I think I'm going to start him on these pads, because long-term I'll have to find a solution anyway.

Murray had a good summer with allergy related skin problems, but with the leaves falling now he's started to bite at himself- I knew it was too good to be true!

I hope Yogi won't be bothered by leaf mold this year like Murray is!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts