Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like Malaseb Flush is no longer being manufactured. Not happy about this, because it's one thing Murray could actually tolerate to cleanse his underarm yeast outbreaks. The Malaseb Flush is a Miconazole base with Chlorhexidine.

He can't tolerate anything with ketoconazole, or alcohol. What the vet finally came up with were Douxo wipes, 3% Chlorhexidine.

Any other hounds out there with super sensitive skin ? If so, what do you use?

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
It looks like Malaseb Flush is no longer being manufactured. Not happy about this, because it's one thing Murray could actually tolerate to cleanse his underarm yeast outbreaks. The Malaseb Flush is a Miconazole base with Chlorhexidine.

He can't tolerate anything with ketoconazole, or alcohol. What the vet finally came up with were Douxo wipes, 3% Chlorhexidine.

Any other hounds out there with super sensitive skin ? If so, what do you use?[/b]

You may want to try the malacetic wipes from dermapet however given the active ingredients it is definately as strong as miconazole or ketoconazole for treating an active yeast infection. they can howeever control/cure minor infection and with routine use act as a preventitive measure the active ingredients are 2% boric acid and 2% acetic acid so it is posible to make it yourself at home as well.

Susceptibility of Selected Otitis Externa Pathogens to Individual and Mixtures of Acetic and Boric Acids Benson CE
suggest that the boric acid levels of 2% are high enough to inhibt Candida (a common fungal infection along with Malassezia) but not high enough to kill it. which required 3.5% boric acid.

Efficacy of an Acetic Acid/Boric Acid Ear Cleaning Solution for Treatment and Prophylaxis of Malassezia sp. Otitis Externa
the 2% solution is effective in treating Malassezia when administered once a day but did not prevent reoccurance when used once a week.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike-

I use Dermapet's Malacetic Otic (2% acetic acid and 2% boric acid) for Murrays ears- it works great, and is the only thing that doesn't cause severe inflammation and irritation. We went through a lot of trial and error before we found this product.

The vet actually suggested the malacetic wipes you mentioned as another option, and if the the Chlorhexidine wipes start to cause a problem, I'll try the malacetic wipes next.

It's frustrating to have to go through trial and error again, after all these years of using something that works.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Malesab Pledgets are very hard to find these days. I work at a Vet's office and the Malesab Shampoo has been on backorder.[/b]
According to my vet, and a vet supply company I talked with,the company that makes Malaseb is "in transition" - even though Malaseb Flush is listed as a backordered item, it will no longer be made.

The vet you work for might want to check with their supply source about what's happening with this company and it's other products.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You can't get any veterinary products from the company that makes Malesab. The use of the word transitioning is a bit misleading. From the FDA website:

FDA Takes Action Against Teva Animal Health Inc.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced a consent decree of permanent injunction filed today, that prohibits Teva Animal Health Inc., its president, and two principals from its parent company, from manufacturing and distributing adulterated veterinary drugs. The injunction, once entered by the court, will prevent the defendants from manufacturing and distributing veterinary drugs until they achieve compliance with current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) and obtain FDA approval.

“Good manufacturing practice standards are the backbone of product quality and the instrument on which the FDA relies most heavily for assurance that veterinary drug products are safe and effective,” said Bernadette Dunham, D.V.M., Ph.D., director of the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine.

During inspections between 2007 and 2009, the FDA found significant cGMP violations at Teva Animal Health's facilities, located in St. Joseph, Mo.

Under the terms of the consent decree, Teva Animal Health cannot resume manufacturing and distributing veterinary drugs until adequate methods, facilities, and controls are established and an independent expert inspects the facilities and procedures and certifies that they comply with cGMP. The FDA also will also inspect Teva Animal Health's facilities as needed before authorizing the company to resume operations. If, after resuming operations, the defendants fail to comply with any provision of the consent decree, cGMP, or the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, the FDA may order the company to stop manufacturing and distributing veterinary drugs, recall the products, or take other corrective actions.

“The FDA will not tolerate the manufacture and distribution of adulterated animal drugs,” said Michael Chappell, the FDA’s acting associate commissioner for regulatory affairs. “Veterinarians and pet owners can be assured that the FDA will investigate and take regulatory actions against companies that produce animal drugs under conditions and controls that are inadequate to assure their safety and quality.”

In the event of future violations, the consent decree also subjects Teva Animal Health to payments of $20,000 for each day the defendants fail to comply with any provision of the decree and an additional $25,000 for each shipment of veterinary drugs in violation of the decree, up to $7.5 million per year.[/b]
I don't see any updates but if you go to the Teva Veterinary website, you just get a homepage but can go no further. http://www.tevaanimalhealth.com/
Of course they are still making tons of money off their drugs for humans!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Now, that's very interesting, Barb. Thanks for bringing us up to date.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess I will have a problem getting the Chlorexiderm as well since that company also makes that. Crap. That's one of the few products that does seem to help Yogi's feet and underarms.[/b]
My vet suggested Douxo pads- they come 30 pads to a little round container, are 3%Chlorhexidine, made by SOGEVAL - I haven't used them yet, so I can't reccommend them from personal experience. I'm still using the small amount of Maleseb I have left.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Are those pads something you need to get at the vet?

I do have almost a full bottle of Malesab left, looks like the date on the bottom of the bottle is 10/09 though. I would be happy to send it to you if you want it. I only used it once or twice. Gah, the smell of that stuff! The Malesab does not work for Yogi at all. Only the Chlorexiderm.

Another thought, many companies online sell these type of products and may still have them in stock so it might be worthwhile to check them out such as allivet, entirely pets or drs foster and smith.

How is Murray doing with the thyroid medicine? Is it helping his skin clear up at all?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are those pads something you need to get at the vet?

I do have almost a full bottle of Malesab left, looks like the date on the bottom of the bottle is 10/09 though. I would be happy to send it to you if you want it. I only used it once or twice. Gah, the smell of that stuff! The Malesab does not work for Yogi at all. Only the Chlorexiderm.

Another thought, many companies online sell these type of products and may still have them in stock so it might be worthwhile to check them out such as allivet, entirely pets or drs foster and smith.

How is Murray doing with the thyroid medicine? Is it helping his skin clear up at all?[/b]

Here's a link to order it online: http://www.entirelypets.com/douxochlorhexidinepspads.html , along with the product description. Thankyou for offering to send the malaseb to me :p , but I think I'm going to start him on these pads, because long-term I'll have to find a solution anyway.

Murray had a good summer with allergy related skin problems, but with the leaves falling now he's started to bite at himself- I knew it was too good to be true!

I hope Yogi won't be bothered by leaf mold this year like Murray is!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Yogi did really well with his skin issues the last few months, in fact he hardly needed any extra attention for his skin issues at all. :) I was so happy to actually be able to just give him a normal bath with regular shampoo! Of course I knew it couldn't last, leaf mold is now upon us! :rolleyes: He's been biting his feet and I actually had to soak them the other day so he could get some relief.

He really needs a full bath which I am hoping to do this week since it is supposed to get somewhat warmer. He would have been shivering like crazy with the horrible rainy weather we have had for the last four days and while I am finally able to use a hair dryer on him, he's not keen about letting me dry the neck area which takes the longest to dry.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Yogi did really well with his skin issues the last few months, in fact he hardly needed any extra attention for his skin issues at all. :) I was so happy to actually be able to just give him a normal bath with regular shampoo! Of course I knew it couldn't last, leaf mold is now upon us! :rolleyes: He's been biting his feet and I actually had to soak them the other day so he could get some relief.

He really needs a full bath which I am hoping to do this week since it is supposed to get somewhat warmer. He would have been shivering like crazy with the horrible rainy weather we have had for the last four days and while I am finally able to use a hair dryer on him, he's not keen about letting me dry the neck area which takes the longest to dry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.