Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(
I knew bassets weren't known for their protective behavior, and the one time before that George has been called upon to be protective, we still had Rosie, who led the charge and showed him what to do. Still ...

The other day I took him for a short walk after work. I wasn't going to go very far because he's been awfully stubborn about heading home lately, but I figured the park was close enough that it wouldn't hurt to go that far.

In the park, along the back, some houses back up to the fence that separates the park from their yards. We had paused so George could sniff and pee, and man came up to the fence to ask what kind of dog he is. So I told him. Then he started telling me about his uncle who raises fighting roosters. I didn't want to hear about that, for pete's sake, so I urged George to move on, and then the guy asks me my name. I didn't want to tell him THAT, either, so I kept urging George to move on. Of course, he chose that moment to get stubborn. This man was seriously giving me the creeps, we were out of sight of anyone else, and George would NOT budge. In fact, he wagged his TAIL at the guy.

Finally I got him to go a bit further, and then tried to get him to head back toward the street, which of course he wouldn't do, and I happened to glance up and this man had worked his way between some really tall lilac bushes perpendicular to his own back fence and was peering at us through those bushes. He had to climb a fence to get to that spot in that length of time. Now I was REALLY feeling creepy, and again, tried to urge George to MOVE so we could get back to the street side and in view of all the people who were out in their yards, and George would not BUDGE. I fought him all the way back to the street and even had to carry him partway.

Mind you, I didn't expect him to attack the man or something, but every other dog I've had, of all breeds and no particular breed, has picked up on it when somebody is threatening me (even if I only imagine they're threatening me) and gotten protective and obedient. When we had a tornado siren once, the dog we had at the time was at my heels instantly, with her hackles up, when I said, "Basement! Now!" and snuggled up close to me the whole time. She probably didn't understand WHY I was frightened, but she knew I was and that was all she needed to know to get protective. That's just one example. George was totally oblivious to everything except that he didn't want to go home.

So we won't be taking any more walks without my husband (and I"m seriously considering a nice can of pepper spray besides) unless we stay in our own backyard or at least on our own street where I know almost everyone.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've got one of those ...Belly would have no idea if I was afraid unless I let out a scream. And it would have to be louder than my usual "get in here!!!" scream.

Now Dixie ...she will protect me. I'm just getting to know this side of her. She always puts herself between me and any stranger that we encounter. She has jumped over Belly's back to get in front of us. It's almost as if she thinks it's her job.

The cell phone advice was pretty good. I think I'll start doing that myself.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always do have my cell with me, but by the time I'd called for help and help had come, I might have been in big trouble if that guy really had mayhem on his mind. There are several sexual offenders in this area, though I don't think any are as close as that house. I'll have to look at the Web site again and see for sure. Our walking days are done, though. We're staying close to home after this. We have a very large yard and several empty lots within sight of the house which are also large, and he can just wander in circles in those unless Hubby can accompany us. As long as he gets exercise and gets to pee on every blade of grass he passes, he'll have to be content.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Copper is just the opposite, he thinks he has to protect me from everyone. When we go for walks he barks and get between me and anyone who speaks to us. He is just a big baby but he doesn't know that.

H

·
0 Posts
Well, finally something Homer is good at!! He barks and growls at just about all strange men and even a few he knows! I think I would always feel safe with him around. Of course he has many down sides as well, so don't feel so bad. I think it's wise not go walking alone anyway. and having your cell phone with you is always security.

S

·
0 Posts
That sounds scary! Sabian or Pearl would have been no help either. yvonne

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, first of all, I'm glad you got away successfully, despite George's best efforts to the opposite! :)

I would definitely start carrying a phone and pepper spray.... :D Or get a German Shepherd and name him "Rabies". :p

Daisy will bark her head off at passers-by, the mailman, etc., but if I take her for a walk and we stop to visit neighbors, or encounter basset-admirers, she will hide behind my legs and not exactly growl, but make sounds like she's trying to be brave and scarey but it's very half-hearted and unimpressive. She's very shy of strangers, she expects me to protect her! She's not even too happy about meeting strange male dogs; her hackles can really stand up and it almost scares me the way she bristles up. Once we get past the 'threat', she looks back over her shoulder like "Phew!" and hurries just a little faster....

I thought I had her well-socialized, and she's great with even extended family members and the people on our block (she always wants to play football with the high school boys down the street) but she's not so good at all with more distant acquaintances. I worry about it but I think we've been out of the swing of walking and vistining long enough that she's out of the groove.

I don't expect much out of BJ (our sheltie) either. He's scared of strange men, he'd be more likely to turn tail and run, I think! Good thing I live in a nice safe town and neighborhood!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Valerie, I would suggest try to avoid that route. Usually people who involves in **** fight, also involves in dog fight. They are looking at our dogs as a target, if you know what I mean (Sorry, not being judgemental - just being really careful). You don't want to take any chances.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts