Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby's daddy used to give Ruby a little bit of his ice cream and there used to be no problems. The last time she had some (vanilla) she threw it up.

We forgot about this as it was almost a year ago that it happened and last night she got to lick his empty bowl. Well, that is the very last time she'll ever get even a lick because she was acting like she wanted to vomit for over 90 minutes. Finally her innards settled down and we all were able to go to bed at midnight.

Snore........zzzzzzzzzzzzz..

·
Registered
813 Posts
Poor baby, and I'll bet she LOVES ice cream, too. We can't give George tuna casserole for the same reason. Right back up it comes. He can eat spaghetti, so it's not the noodles. It must be the tuna. Anyway, he doesn't get any anymore. Give her a pat on the head from us and assure her that ice cream actually tastes VERY BAD.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tuna Casserole? Ice Cream?? Any people food other than a teeny-tiny piece of cheese would be invitation to gastro-intestinal disaster for Francis. That stuff can't be good for dogs because it's not the healthiest food for people in terms of cholesterol and carbohydrates that go right to insulin overload.

·
Registered
78 Posts
you might want to try "Frosty Paws" found in the ice cream section....frosty paws are for dogs only and come in little ice cream cups...i usually quarter them instead of giving 1 big cup.....a little $$$$$.

·
Registered
773 Posts
A friend of mine had dog who couldn't eat ice cream due to allergies. But Dairy Queen was no problem for some reason.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
May be because Dairy Queen doesn't have the actual ice cream in it, it's all those synthetic ingredients?

Anyway, Winston and Henrietta could eat anything that human can eat. They are like garbage can. :roll:
But of course, we watch what they eat (just in case).

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Puppies are not, but most dogs are lactose intolerate. The do not poses the the enzyme to break down lactose. I would image lactaid or similar products used to ease lactose intolerance in humans would also work with dog but never saw the need to test the theory.

Dog Food FAQs: Supplements/Foods to Avoid/Allergies
Should I give my dog milk?
No. Most dogs are lactose intolerant. Lactose intolerance is a common form of maldigestion. A puppy has the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the sugar in milk called lactose. However, as a dog ages, he generally stops producing lactase. When your dog consumes milk products, the lactose is not digested and the symptoms of maldigestion occur.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I was thinking...that Ruby is lactose intolerant like me. She loves my soy cheese too and doesn't get ill.

She seems to be more like me every day...ha! When both of us get up from a sitting position, both of our arthritis acts up quite a bit and we both limp until we both get the kinks out.

Maybe I'll start "arrrrooo-ing" one of these days. As long as I don't want to go outside to do my business.

HA! :D

·
Registered
622 Posts
It may be a lactose intolerance, I'm not sure about lactose intolerance as an all that common problem , despite what "experts" say..I've never had a dog (and there have been many over the years) who had a problem with milk or ice cream. Reuben gets a little bite of ice cream most every night...the other guys milk left overs from a cereal bowl or my lunch milk

[ April 07, 2006, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: winnieslo ]

·
Registered
263 Posts
I found some neat ice "tube" trays at the grocery store last night...after the flat tire coming out of the gym at 9:30 at night...needed to go shopping...good thing I'm on a diet!

Any-hoo, they are made to put the ice tubes in bottles of water/juice. I also bought a tub of low-fat vanilla yogurt. I took about 1/2 tub and mixed it with water to thin it down, then poured it into 1 of the tube trays. This morning, took them out and popped out froze yogurt tubes. Peanut and Tarquin went NUTS! Now everytime I open the freezer, they are both sitting pretty waiting for another frosty tube! I'll try and post pics, of the trays and the dogs eathing them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts