Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Emma started dogie school last night and overall did a pretty good job. At nine moths she is still a little more into checking out the other dogs and playing then doing the training. We will see how it goes for the next seven weeks.

I am supposed to teach her a trick for next week. I am not sure on whether to go with the famous Basset "limp toddler" routine, or the "I can't believe you are doing that to me" look. Suggestions?

J

·
0 Posts
The first trick Jake learned was...I hold a treat in my hand and say to him "Tell me what you want!" As soon as he barks he gets the treat. If he barks too loudly I say "Shh! Quietly?". He then does a little woof, best described as "r!" and he gets the treat. Cute!

We went to school too. It was hard work. Jake achieved by week 10 what all the other dogs had learned by week 3. Ah, the joys of Hounds of independent mind...

Good luck!

J

·
0 Posts
Sabian's mom...judging by how long it takes him to get out of bed in the mornings...YESSSS!!!

However, the rattle of the food bowl suggests differently :roll:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Best of luck to you are you using treats as reward? Lily is in her 3rd Advanced class. She was very interested in all the other dogs in the first time we went to training (basic) She whines and talks alot during class still. If we have to sit still for too long while we get instructions for something she starts talking herself and I have to ask her to hush, our trainer is quite used to it by now though. lol.
Lily's first trick was to sit pretty or the beg position, because this trick helps to build up their muscles in their backs and hips and helps to prevent hip problems later.
Have Fun!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I taught Giselle to roll over when I ask "where's your belly?" She was a little pup when she learned it, still small enough for me to roll her over with ease. I would ask the question, roll her over, and reward. After 20 or 30 times of that, she would roll over on her own after hearing the question.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Here's a couple my dogs like, and learned very fast. One is 'give paw'--(shake). first step--say 'give paw' Flip their paw up, and give food as it goes up, second step--just put your hand near their paw, say 'give paw', and reward when they extend their paw . Third step--just 'give paw' and reward when they extend their paw. (no hand cue)Lots of repititions in 5-10 minutes--they'll have it down cold if you produce good enough treats.

Another one--'touch'--put your hand out to the side, right out of nose reach, flat, with a small bit of food hidden between your thumb and forefinger. Hold out your hand, and say 'touch'. They seem to instinctively reach out and touch it with their noses. Reward each touch. then move on to food for every two touches, three touches, etc. The key is not to give them treats when they bump your hand if it isn't open AND you haven't said 'touch'. I think teaching 'give paw' is easier, but touch comes in handy in lots of situations (when you want to ge their attention, for example), so it is worth teaching, too. Have fun--I've seen some great other tricks--playing dead in response to the command, 'bang' (hand shaped like a gun), but I've never tried to teach them.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Of course Bassets can acomplish something! I used to despair of Moe ever learning anything, especially after I met Toughy at the Basset Bash one year. I was incredibly impressed by his performance in some of the games. He was an entusiastic participant - quick and alert. The only time Moe was quick and alert was when a little boy got too close to him while holding a hotdog. :D It's not my secret to tell, but I bet you can make a good guess what it is. You shouldn't have to think too hard... Toughy is after all, a Basset!

Terry

[ January 11, 2006, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts