Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 4 year old tri-color female that has never been pregnant. she is an inside dog, so i know she is not pregnant now. over the past week it looks like she is producing milk in her sack. if you sqeeze her nipples what looks to be milk comes out. is this normal, or should i be concerned?

please help.

-danny

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Sounds like she's probably having a false pregnancy. The only thing to worry about is to keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't get mastitis. If the breasts feel "cakey" anywhere bring her in to the vet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like she's probably having a false pregnancy. The only thing to worry about is to keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't get mastitis. If the breasts feel "cakey" anywhere bring her in to the vet.
what is mastitis, and what does "cakey" feel like?

-danny

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Mastitis is a breast infection. "Cakey" is abnormal, if you familiarize yourself with what "normal" feels like you'll notice if it's not right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
she has been "nesting" lately on blankets, and her pouch below her ribcage is drouping. it feels like what i think would be normal. does that sound normal for false pregnancy? what causes false pregnancies?

-danny

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
IT happens occasionaly after a heat cycle hormones get jumbled up, I could be wrong but I think if it happens in a bitch it is more likely to happen again that is false prgnancies happen more often in certain individual dogs for whatever reason.

False Pregnancy

Pseudocyesis (False Pregnancy)
To prevent a recurrent episode of false pregnancy, have your pet spayed. Reoccurrence of false pregnancy without spaying is common.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I was told all bitches go through a false if they are not bred just to different degrees(by my Vet) Esa went through one everytime she had been in heat. If your bitch is never to be bred get her spayed then neither you nor she has to deal with this again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts