Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paige had a litter of pups last April 9th, and we're wondering when to expect the next heat cycle. I've read and heard different things. One theory says she'll be in heat six months after her last heat (which is now! and she's not). A second theory states that she'll be in heat six months after the pups were born. Yet a third theory says she'll be in heat six months after the pups were weaned. Which is correct? :confused:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
The folks at USABreeders.com would probably be happy to answer this and similar questions.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll probably regret saying this, but if you don't know the answer you probably shouldn't be breeding. Do you you have a mentor? Does the breeder you got your dogs from have the answer's to your questions? Have you asked your vet? Take care, Belinda.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
:roll: Every bitch is different, but it's usually 6 months following last season, or when the pups are 4 months old.

...shutting my mouth.....

[ September 04, 2005, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good grief, sorry to have asked! :eek:
Yes, I have a mentor. Yes, Paige has been checked by our vet and approved to be bred. Our mentor, who is also the stud owner, told us one thing, and our vet told us another, and I've read yet another. Thought I'd ask the folks here, since you have lots of experience.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Originally posted by Sweet Paigey Lou:
Good grief, sorry to have asked!
This particular board is intended for use by conformation and performance breeders. There are plenty of sites for breeders who aren't interested in conformation or performance. See above link.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sweet Paigey Lou,
I thought you had a valid question. I also did not think that this would be the wrong forum for you to ask such a question. What did shock me, as a casual reader, was the attitude you encountered!

Is there no room in this world for OTHERS who wish to be informed breeders???
:roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Scratch & Sniff, those of us who love the breed are not supportive of practices that are detrimental to the breed and its welfare.

There's always room for responsible breeders. :) However, responsible breeders don't breed puppies that are less than two years old, despite all advice to the contrary. They don't breed bassets that haven't been screened for genetic disease. They don't breed their bitches each and every season. They don't use pet quality bassets to produce more pet quality bassets, because there is already an over-supply of pet quality bassets, many, many of whom who end up passed around from home to home or in shelters and rescues. :(

For more information on the ethics of responsible breeding, see Making a Difference:Being a Responsible Breeder.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Anyone who has been a member of Cyberhound for even a short time would know that such a topic usually produces emotional and heated responses. Such a post is often called "flame bait."

The Breeding and Conformation Forum is intended for
A discussion group for those interested in showing and breeding basset hounds for conformation. Brags are welcome!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really, really don't want to argue. And I'm sorry, because I wasn't aware how much controversey this would generate.

However, I must defend myself. Paige was not bred before she was two. She was screened for genetic diseases - all of them. She's only been bred once, and we have no intention of breeding her this coming heat either. In addition, Paige was taken to the vets for regular check-ups and exams, more often than necessary even. Her pups were vet-checked very regularly. And our vet, who is extremely experienced, said we did an awesome job to have had eight completely healthy puppies the first litter.

Please don't think each and every new breeder is in it for the money only. I spent hours and hours, I could never count the hours I spent, taking care of Paige and the puppies. I may have made a penny an hour, if that.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Originally posted by Sweet Paigey Lou:
Paige was not bred before she was two.
I distinctly remember a lengthy discussion about not breeding this bitch before she was two years old. Turns out she had been bred anyway (one sometimes wonders why ask in the first place).*sigh*

She was screened for genetic diseases - all of them
That also strains credulity, considering that there are close to 100 genetic disorders known to affect Bassets. :roll: Informed breeders generally obtain the following standard clearances: gonioscopy, von Willebrand's testing and OFA clearances. Some also check thyroid and for Basset Hound Thrombopathia. For more information, see the Basset Hound Club of America's Health Policy.

She's only been bred once
Well, yes. She's too young to have had more than one breeding.

Please don't think each and every new breeder is in it for the money only.
If a person isn't breeding for conformation, performance, temperament, or money, what does that leave? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
posted September 12, 2004 10:10 PM
Update everyone: We're bringing home our new Basset tomorrow. She's 14 months old and just a few hours from here. Her now parents call her Paige
If she was 14 months old in September, she was only 19 months old, or just over a year and a half, in February when she was bred.

She was screened for genetic diseases - all of them
I'm wondering how she was screened for HD and ED since OFA won't certify under two years of age. And for BHT, since only a few places can test for that.

[ September 05, 2005, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Speaking of hobbies, took the dogs tracking a couple of times this weekend...now there's a terrific hobby! :) Also received a new set of obedience jumps, made out of sturdy vinyl fence material. Looking forward to putting those into service this week. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think you have a good hobby and are very committed to it! :)
I had no idea from the beginnings of this thread that there was a history here. I see that now.
Please, keep up the diligent work and thanks for enlightening all of us! This is important stuff to know if you are interested in getting a quality basset from a breeder!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We love taking Paige to track too. And she enjoys being out with the family. My kids are now learning to do it with her, that's a treat - they're only 7 and 4!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I remember the earlier posts regarding poor Paige, as well as responses that were an obviously wasted attempt at education. This makes me both angry and sad.....

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I remember the earlier posts, as well.

I also remember looking over an offsite diary about the poor pup. Contrary to what had been posted here --- questions about breeding and whatnot --- it was posted on that diary tha Paige had been taken somewhere and intentionally bred.

Pitiful.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
It seems like many of the novice people who post about breeding their pets have already made a decision to do so. It's disappointing but no longer surprising when it turns out the pet has already been bred, sometimes even before the questions have been asked.

Remember that for every one that posts, 5-10 or more are lurking, and it's for those folks and their bassets that our educational efforts can make a positive difference. :)

[ September 06, 2005, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

1 - 20 of 44 Posts