Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I adopted a 6 yr old sweetheart named Annie from a local shelter 2 weeks ago. I have never had a female dog before. Took Annie for her first vet trip today and she will need spayed (the shelter let me take her home without spaying because I lived 2 hours away). Also, she has obviously had who knows how many litters and has very large, lumpy pendulous breasts. The vet expressed some blood out of one of the teets today and suggested along with her spay to have both mammary channels removed at the same time. So besides her spay she would have 2 more incisions at least 10 inches long :( Just wondered what your opinions are. She seemed somewhat concerned about some of the masses, but wow hate to put her through such invasive surgery? Thoughts appreciated. I will post some pictures of her in the photos. Annie has been such a heart-warmer after losing my boy in March to lymphoma.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Unfortunately,with her being the age she is some of those masses may be cause for concern.Do you have any idea when her last litter was? They can develop mammary tumors easily. I'm just concerned you may have another heart break on your hands. I hope not.Good luck I hope everthing is ok.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope not Bubbad, that's what I said to the vet today.....don't want another basset baby with cancer :( hoping that is not the reason she was "dumped" by someone, I have no medical history on her unfortunately.......

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
First off, congrats!!!

I have no experience with pregnant or previously pregnant bassets so can't help there.

But Annie and I are very excited that you also have an Annie...and the same age!! We are gonna go check out your photos :)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Hi Annie & Bentley's mom--

We'd been missing u on the forum the past couple weeks and this explains it!
you must be really busy w/Annie-- so glad u looked into sharing ur home w/another basset again.

well, based on what ur vet and bubbad's saying, i'm guessing this is the most conservative treatment. if anything's wrong they'll find it and figure out what it is and the extent... and most if not all would be removed so that seems good... and if nothing's wrong, u remove the risk of mammary tumors, perhaps? (is the procedure like a mastectomy?)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Annie, I actually thought of your Annie when I saw her on Petfinder with that name!
@Wworm, seeing how I never had a female doggie before I wasn't sure what to expect. The shelter told me she had mastitis and likely some retained milk. But then when the vet said they should be removed and expressed blood out of her nip I got that sick feeling in my stomach :'( Have been researching online tonight and will probably be calling them with more questions. I'm wondering if it could be cancer if she should go to a vet school or surgery practice if it would be better prognosis (sigh) I really hope this is not the case but I never knew 1/4 unspayed females pretty high incidence.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
They can develop mammary tumors easily
and in dog 50% of mammary tumors are malignant as well. The risk for tumor is much higher in dogs that have gone through a couple heat cycles vs ones that have not hence the recommendation to have non-breeding females spay before the first heat.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Congrats on your Annie. I'm glad you decided to open your house to another basset. And poor Annie with her "feminine issues". I hope it's not cancerous. I hope that it is just backed up milk (or whatever the doctor thinks it is) and removing her milk ducts solves the problem or potential problem. Before we got our little girl Virga, I researched the pros and cons of spaying. I had heard that it's good to let them go through one heat (I think it's nonsense) but the huge majority of the research I found online states that even one heat cycle greatly increases their risk of female problems. And every heat cycle after it just makes their chances worse. I'm not saying that Annie has cancer at all! I'm just saying the risk wasn't worth it to us so we spayed Virga. I'm very sorry that Annie is having problems. Hopefully the doctor will figure it out and it's good news. Good luck with everything. Healing drool is getting slung your way from Doppler and Virga and we'll keep you and her in our thoughts.

·
Registered
973 Posts
For what it's worth Anabelle also had countless pregnancies before we got her and was dumped. She has a tumor on her chest but it is benign. Our vet was able to easily verify this by taking out some of the fluid from the mass. Not sure if this is an option for you or not.

We've left the lump there... doesn't seem to bother her.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Well, in my opinion the more you take out, the less there is there to become an issue later. She may have some long scars, but she should be fine and up and about in no time, and it will save you both issues later!
Poor girl. It may also just be some "boobie abuse" since you don't know how many litters she may have had. Even if it's hard, you are giving her a loving safe home right now and I know that makes her sooo happy. After all she may have been through no matter what this is best for her! : )

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How is the newest Miss Annie doing? Settling in at her new home ok? How are her bewbies??
Oh I love her, she is very sweet and comical. Has the most soulful sad eyes she likes to look deeply into yours especially when she wants something:) Has become quite a hunter in the last week or so, I'm calling her my "crazy bitch" because as soon as we step outside she is peeking in all the chipmunk holes. One hole is under the stoop to the back porch, and when we go back in she stares at the corner of the wall like it may be in there (hope not!) Remembering your "lizard scare" with your Annie, I am hoping I do not have a "chipmunk scare" potential ingestion nightmare:D

As for the "Bewbies" will probably be getting a 2nd vet look soon, they don't seem to be bothering her but they do look uncomfortable when she walks swinging side to side, and from the back end view she looks like a boy with "family jewels":rolleyes: Poor Annie, lol. Thanks for asking.......and I probably provided too much information hehe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts