Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have recently aquired a female basset that I have named Clara and I have fallen head over heels in love with the sweet girl. Clara also gave birth to 8 beautiful puppies 10 days ago. I am familiar with bassets and I am also familiar with puppies BUT , could someone give me some charactoristics of newborn basset puppies? I know that they are born with short ears but I am not sure when they start growing longer. I am trying to determine whether or not these 8 babies are basset hounds? I have fabulous homes for them all when the time comes and Clara will be spayed when she is ready. I could use some help and I figured that you all are the perfect experts to ask. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! The markings match mine , well 2 of them. The other 6 are black with little tan eyebrows, mussels and feet. They have white toes and white bottom lips and a little white on their chests and bellies. I am more concerned about thier ears, they are not very floppy for being 10 days old. hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
186 Posts
thats one of the first pictures i have of toby when i got him at 4 weeks old. i imagine in a few weeks their ears will get bigger, but i'm no expert on the topic so i really don't know for sure.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Here are two (of ten) of my friends basset pups before their ears grew long. I don't think they
are long until the pups are about four weeks old!

Here's one of the above pups at five weeks... ears are much longer at this age!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Here are my pups when I went to visit them at five weeks of age... had to wait another four weeks for them!

Basset pups are so lovely and squidgy at this age aren't they!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
there's no cuter puppy than a basset puppy. their eyes melt my heart! and idk if this is normal for all basset puppies or if toby is just "special" but he used to always trip over his own feet because they were so big. precious!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am on holiday for the long weekend and am without my own computer to download saved pictures. I will get some up ASAP when I return home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts