Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Basset people on the east coast (okay, maybe Ohio too).

I'm posting this even though I know nothing really about the AHBA yet because I really want to not be the only freaked-out handler at the December 15 & 16 trial.

Plus, I need help slapping Dean around.

AND I will bring homemade double fudge dark chocolate brownies for anyone from the forum who shows up!

Who is in?

If you are on the fence, speak up and let me convince you :)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Hello Basset people on the east coast (okay, maybe Ohio too).[/b]

Wow and just a mere 8 hr one way to Elizabethtown, PA :blink:

looks like we are stuck with the Pilgrim Basset Club Fun Field Trial the Sunday after Thanksgiving

At the Paskamanskett Beagle Club in Dartmouth. MA where a large pack of basset spend most of the hour chasing themselves and being a general nussiance to Deans and a few others field working dogs,
Heck ever odd decade or so a hare is even flushed.

·
Registered
797 Posts
It's 8 hours from here up to the fun trial also -- see you there. I travel all over the country with the hounds.

Pinkwhip is riight -- she needs some help -- actually she and Murraysmom found out that this is a great chance for bassets to have some fun and for basset owners to meet. No experience needed !!!

For those of you in the area, there will be other hunts on Dec 8 & 9 in Ash Grove, MO -- for details check the hunt schedule at bassetnet.com

The fun hunt in MA is just that - FUN- one time when rain was coming, we turned about 40 hounds loose at one time. We had several nervous mommies asking if anybody had seen their hound, but we didn't lose even one hound

I'll be there on Saturday-[/b]

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
The fun hunt in MA is just that - FUN- one time when rain was coming, we turned about 40 hounds loose at one time. We had several nervous mommies asking if anybody had seen their hound, but we didn't lose even one hound[/b]

One year we did lose a couple humans though never see or heard from again :(

The funny thing is the most frantic of owner's looking for dogs find them at the gate to go out. It is the humans that get lost in the swamp not the dogs. :p

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm really interested in bringing the girls up. My only concern is that Midgie isn't full blood basset hound. What do you all think? Does she look bassety enough? These are a bit old, she's more wrinkley now.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I'll let the guys answer, but I just wanted to say she sure is cute! :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
As a breed inspector for the AHBA, my first reaction is to say no. The ears are short and the legs too thin. Perhaps seeing her in person might change my mind. I will be more lonient with neutered hounds --- we need the people and the hound can't be used for breeding . My responsibility is to protest the breed. There have been some obvious halfbreeds registered in the past.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks Betsy, we think she's a sweetie!

Sorry Dean, I was confused. I was thinking this was a fun hunt, not a trial otherwise I'd not have asked. Anyway, I still may bring Hazley up or I'll come and watch. I love watching dogs work!!

Barb

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Thanks Betsy, we think she's a sweetie!

Sorry Dean, I was confused. I was thinking this was a fun hunt, not a trial otherwise I'd not have asked. Anyway, I still may bring Hazley up or I'll come and watch. I love watching dogs work!!

Barb

[/b]
Yes, come anyway! Murray has been having a problem with his right front leg so he won't be participating either, but it would be nice to meet you, and I think you'll have an interesting day- watching the dogs work is alot of fun! Hope to see you there!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay so that's two other newbies, yes? Not enough yet to consume a whole batch of double fudge dark chocolate brownies.

How many people on the forum live in the mid-atlantic? Let's have a count of paws!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oh Pinkwhip, I'd give my eyeteeth for some double fudge dark chocolate brownies!! But unfortunately :( I have a wheat allergy and can't indulge! I know you won't mind if I drool though! :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm...perhaps I will provide a wheatless (flourless) chocolate cake as well. The kind that's really dense and gooey.

We are going to have so much fun! I having a custom sweater made for the Bun-i-nator so that she will be nice and toasty before the hunt and when she picks up her first place trophy :)

There are trophies, right Dean?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Hmmm...perhaps I will provide a wheatless (flourless) chocolate cake as well. The kind that's really dense and gooey.

We are going to have so much fun! I having a custom sweater made for the Bun-i-nator so that she will be nice and toasty before the hunt and when she picks up her first place trophy :)

There are trophies, right Dean?[/b]
The odds on the Buni-i-nator increase dramatically if Dean has a batch of brownies for the trip North this weekend. Knowing Dean the odds of that any of brownies surviving the 8 hour trip is remote :rolleyes:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Right about the brownies -- i didn't get this fat by starving ---
the hunt is a sanctioned hunt for the AHBA, but don't let that bother you.We welcome newbies and their hounds and even If Midgie doesn't qualify as a pure basset, we can take her out after the hunt. New inexperienced hounds not a problem for the running hounds ---besides, Pinkwhip will tell you, we like to laugh at nervous mommies.

If the double chocolate brownies are good enough and there are enough of them, we may for get the hunt and just eat

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi everyone! I was a "newbie" 9 years ago (Dean and Billy, can you believe it's been that long?), recruited by Dean on this forum. Molly was 1 year old at the time and at the first hunt she had the best "walk" of her life. Because that's all she did. And I was certain she would wander away and get lost, which she has never done. To make a long story short, in the past 9 years Molly has earned her AHBA Rabbit Championship, she's a Basset Hound Club of America Master Hunting Hound and I am an AHBA Breed Judge and am on the BHCA Hunt Test Commitee (the latter two by invitation). I am addicted to this relatively new sport in my life. If you're like me, once you hear your Basset open (voice) on a rabbit your life will never be the same. And I too wouldn't let the Basset mix enter the competition, but the cutie would certainly be allowed to chase rabbits to it's heart's content after the offical hunt is over. I'll try to come Dean. Directions and time and hotels? See ya, Belinda.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Large pack fun hunt in N Dartmouth, MA on Sunday -- otherwise you can stay with us for the Dec hunts-- will post directions later -- just got back from the VF show and have to get ready to travel tomorrow

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I"M SO JEALOUS!!! I'd give a whole lot to be able to come and participate!!!

Don't suppose you'd consider renting a plane, putting everyone on board and heading out to NM??? Think of all the new scents the houndies would fine - coyotes, road runners, prairie dogs.

I'll even suppy the brownies!

HAVE FUN ALL OF YOU - I'm with you in spirit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As of now they are calling for snow late Saturday in to Sunday. So Saturday should be fine we should get done around 1:00 or 2:00. Sunday we will have to wait and see. ether way the event will go on as planed. I hope you can make it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts