Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!! New here. Hoping to add a basset hound to our family in the near future. We really want to save a dog rather than purchase a puppy from a breeder.

We are in Connecticut. We have lots of dog experience, although not basset hound. I have been doing research so we know what we are getting into (i hope!) lol. We are looking for a basset that has some energy. My current dogs are very, very, very lazy and need some encouragement to go out and play!!

Here are my spoiled pups now...

Our dogs are definitely part of our family and not just dogs. Currently we have a 5 year old Golden Retriever and a 3 year old Newfoundland.

We are looking for a puppy or young adult, female only. Doesn't matter if she is a mix as long as she has long ears. :) (that is my daughters only request). I have been checking shelters and petfinder daily. If anyone knows of any places I should check, please let me know.

Can't wait to join in on the basset hound fun!!

amy & the gang

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
why a Female? do you know the personality and behavioral tendencies as the apply to the sexes in basset. The reason I as is often time the behavior tendecy that people are looking for in a basset are more common in the males than the females. Basset are a matriarcle society the female general run rough shod over the male. Leting them know if they are allowed to breath or not. Females tend to be pushy and brasher than males which tend to be more laid back. Of course the personality of a particular dog is possible to fall outside the norms

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I've tried 4 times to send an application to NEBHR and my laptop decided to backspace so everything is lost just as I get to the end of the app. I was just about ready to hit send this last time and it did it again. Ughh. I will wait until tomorrow when I have the desk top on.

As for why I want a female... I have a male and female now. Their traits are exactly as you described above. My golden is the boss around here. My newf lets her get away with everything that she wants, but they are very respectful of each other. I hope by getting a puppy or young dog they will treat the new dog the same way and the new dog will learn from them.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Good for you wanting to rescue, I have three I have rescued a basset, Pit Bull and a Basset/redbone coon hound mix and a bullmastiff I got from a breeder.

I have had four full blooded Bassets in my life and I don't think I will ever be with out one. They are such wonderful dogs I highly recommend them. Stick around and you will learn more about them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot!! I have an application in on a basset baby in Indiana. My fingers are crossed that they pick us... :))

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on rescuing your new baby,and deffiantly want to see pictures too!!.Crocket is our first basset hound also we rescued him from our local SPCA.he was stuck in the shelter for 3 years of his life no fault of his own his owner died of cancer and family didn't want him...such a sad storey!!.we adopted him 5 months ago and he is 5 years old.he is by the best dog we have ever rescued,and he came to us already potty trained,doesnt chew the only thing we noticed with crocket it takes a little longer to train commands he is a stubborn,stubborn baby.with our other babies we rescued and the babies I foster(german shepherds,rotties and pitbulls)they were alot easier to train then Crocket is...lol.But he is such a cuddle bug and loves to watch lifetime movies which is alot diffrent from our other rescues and fosters due to there high energy and always on the go.Thank you for saving a rescue baby!!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
We want to thank you for considering adoption. :)

I got Boomer as a puppy, and rescued Biscuit in January. Hindsight and all that, I would go with a rescue again.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi, I've rescued 4 times and pupped from a breeder once. I too think that rescue is a great way to find a wonderful basset.

Plus if she comes housetrained, huge bonus for you:)

Let us know how it goes, there's a bunch of basset-loving know it alls here :wub:

·
Registered
552 Posts
My golden is the boss around here. My newf lets her get away with everything that she wants, but they are very respectful of each other. I hope by getting a puppy or young dog they will treat the new dog the same way and the new dog will learn from them.

Hi! Your post got me all giddy and excited! Back home in Washington, my family has a 4 year old Golden girl named Sookie. She is such a beauty and a complete angel, although she's also spoiled rotten. She made the PERFECT big sister to my little Olive, so I'm 100% confident that your girl will be the same for any new pup!

As for the Newfie, I met my first one a week or so ago and it was the most amazing moment ever! Well, besides the time when I was 13, going through a serious must-be-a-dog-breed-buff phase (that never really ended) and I met an adult Borzoi. That was magical. Back to the Newfie! His name was Atlas and he was the most gentle giant. He was perfect with Olive as well and welcomed her wagging tail and curious kisses.

I have so much confidence and excitement for the combination of dogs you've chosen and I really hope you keep us all updated on your furry family! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do love my furry family! We went to a local adoption event here and we came home with our little Alice. We aren't really sure what Alice is, but she has fit in here fantastically! I still hope one day to get a Basset.

Here is Alice when we first got her.

and 2 from today...

and one of Phineas, just because he's awesome!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Such beautiful dogs!!! Alice is absolutely adorable! And good luck with the rescue! Please post pictures when you finally get him or her.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Amy......I have an almost 1 year old little girl who I am trying to decide if I can give up. She is such a good girl (but very skittish around strangers). I have had her for about 4 months and am realizing that I probably shouldn't have gotten her. The reason I did take her is because the breeder I got my other Basset from was desperate to find her a home and offered to give her to me and I gave in. I just went thru a divorce and with 2 teenagers I don't have the time to really spend with her. She is a big snuggle bug and loves my other dog but she (my other Basset) is starting to growl and snap at her because she is jealous. I live in Central Vermont so we aren't too far apart. I will be honest....this is the hardest decision because I love my dogs but I am overwhelmed right now. Her name is Phoebe and she turns 1 in a month and she has been spayed and she is up to date with her shots. I hate the thought of her thinking I don't love her. Do you think that you might be interested in her. It would help me knowing that she is in a good home and being well taken care of....that is my biggest worry.

If you go to the Photo Gallery and look for (My Girls--Chloe and her sister Phoebe) you will see a few pics of her. She is a beautiful girl.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Amy posted over a year ago, I doubt she is still looking for a new dog.

Can you not return her to the breeder? Good breeders will take their dogs back if necessary.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ahh.....I didn't notice the date.....thanks for mentioning that to me. I haven't heard from the breeder for a few months (I send her pics so she can see how they are growing).....I am going to try again to see if I can get ahold of her but I doubt she will take her back. She mentioned that she is no longer going to be breeding because it is too hard to find them homes and she worries about them. I can't say I blame her because that is why I have been hesitant to find a new home for Phoebe. :(

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
congrats!! we are big on rescue dogs too...both of ours are rescues but am also a fan (thanks to this forum) of reputable breeders.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We want to thank you for considering adoption. :)

I got Boomer as a puppy, and rescued Biscuit in January. Hindsight and all that, I would go with a rescue again.
I have never had a bad rescue dog. I think they know they are saved and show so much appreciation! After loosing my Basset mix I was thinking about going to a breeder but I've decided to keep on rescuing! The Basset or Basset mix is what I'm looking for!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts