Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a link to the new vaccine recommendations that has been sent to the veterinary schools in the US? As I understand it, the number of vaccinations is much reduced, and practically nil after age 7. I want to review it with my vet, before I proceed with vaccines on my girls.

·
Registered
12,956 Posts
Does anyone have a link to the new vaccine recommendations that has been sent to the veterinary schools in the US? As I understand it, the number of vaccinations is much reduced, and practically nil after age 7. I want to review it with my vet, before I proceed with vaccines on my girls.[/b]
2006 AAHA Canine Vaccine Guidelines Revised 28 pages

the report you reference above is most likely an internet hoax and reads as such
"Dr. Jean Dodds protocol is now being adopted by ALL 27 North American veterinary schools. I highly recommend that you read this. Copy and save it to your files. Print it and pass it out at dog fairs, cat shows, kennel club meetings, dog parks, give a copy to your veterinarian and groomer, etc., etc. Get the word out. ~~~~

Vaccination NEWSFLASH
I would like to make you aware that all 27 veterinary schools in North America are in the process of changing their protocols for vaccinating dogs and cats. Some of this information will present an ethical & economic challenge to vets, and there will be skeptics. Some organizations have come up with a political compromise suggesting vaccinations every 3 years to appease those who fear loss of income vs. those concerned about potential side effects. Politics, traditions, or the doctor's economic well being should not be a factor in medical decision"

About Vaccination Protocols
To follow is her reply to me regarding what is being circulated via the internet (again). She has since asked me to assist with this unfortunate situation and that's why I'm asking that this post be forwarded -- to let everyone know that the other post contains false information:

“Dear Helen: No , This is the broadcast message sent around the world, or so it seems, LAST YEAR. It is not from me. I even got an e-mail from the AVMA last year asking where I got my information and data from ! Jean[/b]

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I did a google search and there are a lot of separate paper by vets on this topic. I don't know the vets whose papers are being published, but there seems to be too many of them for the subject to be a complete hoax. However, this is the internet and stranger things have happeend.

My vet gives the shots every 3 years - we've stopped annual vaccinations altogether. I tend to beleive that annual vaccinations - especially after the first couple of years - are not necessary and may even be harmful.

·
Registered
12,956 Posts
I but there seems to be too many of them for the subject to be a complete hoax. However, this is the internet and stranger things have happeend.

My vet gives the shots every 3 years - we've stopped annual vaccinations altogether. I tend to beleive that annual vaccinations - especially after the first couple of years - are not necessary and may even be harmful.[/b]

The hoax part is recommendation of no vaccines over 7 years. the AAHA recommendation is that which is being followed by your vet every 3 years for boosters, of core vaccines, Rabies and Distemper, canine andnovirus(ii) . Non core vaccaines which are to be used only in areas of know high infestation like lyme and leptospirosis. Many of these vaccaine are not against virus but baccteria and do not provide long term immunity 1 year at best, the vaccine for kennel cough even less.
however as more info is gained that is likely to increase. Dodds et.al. are working on a new challenge study to eventual present concrete proof of 5 - 7 year imunity of rabies vaccines currently in use to the USDA. There are also some new recombinate DNA vaccines that use no adjunct in the manufacturing process. It is the adjuncts in vacccines that are the suspected culprits in adverse reactions and injection site cancers. So these may be a better alternative. They are relatively new and more costly so not commonly stocked vaccine fro most vets but it is worth discussing with your vet.

Also of note the Dodds protocol hyped in the broadcast email is Dodds protocol only problem is it is for dogs that have previously demonstrated adverse reaction to vaccines which is estimated to be 1-2% at most.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts