Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 4 month old Basset and her name is Daisy. Daisy is a joy. I have read alot about Bassets in the past few months, but I missed something. I recently read that i should not let my puppy tackle the stairs because it can cause problems later in life. I recently started letting her take on the stairs because she is starting to get too heavy to carry in and out, we live in a bilevel so stairs are inevitable. Could i have hurt her by letting her walk the stairs. I don't know how long your supposed to carry them up and down the stairs. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
797 Posts
Bassets were bred to hunt!!!! They have to cover all types of terrain chasing bunnies. Any basset that is not overweight and out of shape can handle stairs without any problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
The problems is that bassets grow big and heavy before their bones mature and strengthen. While climbing up stairs is not usually a problem, when going down most bassets don't walk, but hop down with both front feet, putting a great deal of weight and pressure on the front legs.

My recommendation it to carry them down stairs for the first year, or at least as long as it's physically possible.

Although a mature basset is a pretty hardy animal, growing puppy bones are easily damaged.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read that up until they are one year old- They shouldn't jump up on furniture, or do stairs. Just what I have read. :) Tummy Boy's Mom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cat Dog

I would have had a lot of trouble stopping my basset puppy Suzy-Q from jumping and climbing etc.... She was a nut from the start! She not only climbs on the couch, she perches on the back like a cat would do. She isn't exactly a puppy anymore, as she is nearing two years of age; but she sure acts like one. She is my instigator, and gets what I call "the rips" every night, when she riles up the other dogs, and they rip around the yard, and the house, if I don't put a stop to their roughhousing. No couch potato bassets in my house!!! You are quite right about the landing on the front legs. I hope it doesn't cause problems later in life, but they sure are more agile than any non-basset owner would ever realize!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts