Basset Hounds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
What awesome people you and your husband are for doing this for Flash and your other fur kids. I hope she heals quickly and can start enjoying her wonderful new life you guys have given her. Flash is certainly one lucky Basset to have found you guys!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
She was spayed at the same time?I think I remembered you saying that,I would not have been happy with that answer at all.Some Bassets have a condition which affects their clotting factors and can cause them to bleed to death after any kind of surgery or dentals. What did the doctor say when you asked him .Obviously, she may not have that disorder or it would have been likely you would have lost her that night.After all she has been through I hope from here on it gets much better.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I've know women who bleed unusually after a stressful surgery. Did they have a catheter in her? They could have hurt her inside with it.
I think it's still unusual to bleed that long though. Although she has been through a lot. Gah, poor thing, a stick, etc.
How's her mouth, and the bleeding doing now? Poor thing. I'd make sure she's getting enough iron too if she's still bleeding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
She was spayed at the same time?I think I remembered you saying that,I would not have been happy with that answer at all.Some Bassets have a condition which affects their clotting factors and can cause them to bleed to death after any kind of surgery or dentals. What did the doctor say when you asked him .Obviously, she may not have that disorder or it would have been likely you would have lost her that night.After all she has been through I hope from here on it gets much better.
No, Flash was not spayed. The vet thought that would be too much in one surgery to get done and they wanted to wait till she was completely out of heat.

Once healed from her mouth, she goes back in to get a mass removed from one of her mammary glands which will be checked for cancer and when they do that, she will then be spayed.

About the bleeding, I was told it's normal after distress for a dog in heat to start spotting again, but if it persists longer than 5 days, to take her back in.
Waking up today, and checked her diaper.. she has less blood and it's browning which means she'll soon stop bleeding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Flash is doing great. She's quite annoyed at having her cone on 24/7 but she keeps trying to paw her mouth, so the cone stays on.

Once her pain killers kick in, she sleeps most of the day. Last night she had a little accident and peed in my closet. I wake up, slip and end in the floor and my closet is wood flooring. She's sitting there all doped up and was saying, "Mom, I couldn't help it!" Usually she whines when she needs out.. maybe I was in deep sleep or maybe she just didn't want to go out in the cold.
She's still following me everywhere and I usually don't mind but that cone is quite a painful jab in the calve. She rams that thing in my legs so hard I have cuts and bruises. I really can't wait till she is allowed to keep that thing off. She's scraping the walls and because she's so low to the ground, Flash is having a hard time understand to lift her head when she wants to get on the dog bed. Poor girl.
She's eating like an oinker! Doing better.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm so glad to hear Flash is on her way to being a healthy hound. Poor girl must have been suffering with her mouth. Yep! I know from experience with our last Springer just how much the cone of shame hurts when slammed into the back of your legs. Someone on here mentioned the No Bite collar not too long ago. I googled it for a friend and there is a website that tells you how to make one. Just wondering maybe this might work for Flash during the day when you are watching her -- a little break from the cone?

·
Registered
471 Posts
You truly are an amazing human being! There is nothing like a rescue dog, they know what you have done and appreciate it no end and will show you that every day.

So glad flash is doing so well and found you guys, she was sent for a reason!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thank you everyone for all the kinds words and help!!

Little Update, She has an appointment tomorrow at 8am to check out the bleeding. I want to be more safe than sorry. She's leaking about a dime size per 2 hours. I'm changing her little pad every 6 hours.

Never thought I'd have to deal with a menstrual cycle other than my own. New experiences!

And although her ears were flushed and cleaned before this surgery, the moments her cone is off when I'm watching her... she's relentlessly scratching her left ear..
SO, tomorrow we are getting this gal checked once again.

·
Registered
972 Posts
well it's good to keep getting this all checked up on! you guys are doing amazing. def. see if there is iron or anything she needs to take since she's bleeding so much. How's her mouth? And i'm tellin' ya...once you get rid of mites or anything in the ears...foot powder! it really keeps the moisture out!

·
Registered
972 Posts
you know, despite maybe being in discomfort and a little pain now...it's a good, healthy healing pain, and i bet she feels sooooo good despite! Can you imagine having all these aches and pains that throb and are infected? Then OUCH a few little pinches and the pain gets better, and better each day! Just that feeling has to make her feel so happy. ugh, makes me want to cry for her! But i'm so glad you guys are doing this. you really can't put a price on an animal's happiness. they are so trusting and loving despite everything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Update:

So Flash had a Vaginal Cytology which came back completely normal!!! It showed she was right in the middle of her menstrual cycle. More than likely, she had stopped her bleeding due to stress before her surgery which made me think she was ending the bleeding stage. Alll the changes in her life really could have caused her stress. Even though the change is good, it's been a dramatic change from living outside all her life in a dirt pen (10+ years) to being inside on an orthopedic dog bed. She has 6 other dogs constantly around her verse only seeing a male dog in heat cycles. Their is so much noise and stimulation around her, that I never really considered her stress level since her tail was always wagging! Now, I feel bad I exposed her too soon.

However, if the bleeding doesn't stop within the next week, the vet wants to start talking about removing her uterus since she has been bleeding since the moment we've had her.

X-rays showed she still has bronchitis and it's could just be that she will always have chronic bronchitis which some older dogs get during ageing.

Because of her age and condition, the vet is thinking of making the spay and the removal of her tumor separate surgeries since the removal of a mammary gland is a huge surgery and it's a hard recovery.

What do you guys think?

Flash also has an ear infection so she's on Gentizol Ointment twice a day.

But she's doing SO MUCH BETTER. I noticed she's having trouble keeping her tongue in her mouth so it slides off to the side since most her teeth are now gone. But she's actually been trying to play with my other dogs. I'll have to video it one day if it stops raining!
All the staff at the vet have fallen in love with her. Flash doesn't know how to quite show affection as most dogs do which is by licking so she just gets as close as she can, and simply stares at you. Until you pet her. Then she still just stares at you. When she gets bored she'll just walk away and go lay down.
Today was her first time actually jumping on me. I figured she was too old to jump... She proved me wrong. I was ignoring her (actually throwing the ball to my other dogs) and she decided she comes first. She's just too freakin' cute.

I really don't think she knows what a TV is. She get's very attracted to it when its on. Cocking her head side to side wondering what that noise is and pawing the table it's on.

Photo attached is of Flash her boyfriend, my 9month old pit mix Rocky. They have become lovers and best friends. Rocky is obsessed with licking her tumor and before we confirmed her ear infection, was constantly licking her left ear.. in fact, he's going it as I'm typing. His nose must be very sensitive as he's licking only the spots that are infected/needs attention medically. He used to lick her mouth which I tried so hard to discourage. Yuck. He has since stopped.

Anyway, I'll update in about a week when her next appointment is to discuss what would be best for her next few surgeries.

:]

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
what a wonderful thing you have done, and I would be the first to tell you , If I had been in your situation, I would have done the same thing........... I don't know how people can do this to animals and sleep at night, but we can only blame the people who buy from these "illegal" breeders,thinking they are getting a bargain....... My heart goes out to you, and a few prayers your way hoping that it all works out well for you...............

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
I really don't think she knows what a TV is.
dogs are much better at seeing motion than humans there are a lot of people that speculated that a tv picture at the typical 30 frames per second is like a slide show for dogs a series of still imagaes and not something htat concveys motion like is does for humans.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
If Flash doesn't stop bleeding in another week.. that means she's been bleeding for about 4 weeks which is not normal. So, the vet wanted us to consider taking her uterus out if she doesn't stop within the next 7-10 more days.

No matter what her age is, she does need to go under anesthesia at least one more time to take off her mammary gland with the mass inside it to test it for cancer.

I'm not questioning the vet. At all actually. I was just wondering if anyone had any input in what we should consider doing.

She went under for her teeth and did fine.
And she needs to go under for the mass removal... and if she doesn't stop the heat cycle by herself, the other option is to remove the uterus all together.

I was curious as to what you guys think?
The vet doesn't want to do both at the same time since they are both very delicate and lengthy recovery surgeries. Yet, two more surgeries at her age?

Advice? Input?

41 - 60 of 131 Posts