Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We have been lurking for a while and decided we would start participating, it seems a lot of people have the same issues and we could share some of our experiences and not just get something from the board.

My son is autistic and we have spent years working through issues. I decided last year that it was time to tackle his fear of dogs. Being highly misled that Basset Hounds are calm dogs we decided on a Basset (it has nothing to do with that fact that I wanted one for many years, that is my story and I am sticking to it). After much research we purchased Luke from a breeder and he arrived in mid May, shortly after turning 8 weeks old.

He did not do well being left home alone during the day and we learned from more research that Bassets typically do better in groups (besides, they are like Lay's, you can never have just one). We decided to adopt a rescue this time and the First week of December we went to Tennessee and picked up Dixie. Instead of bonding with Luke like we hoped she terrorizes him. At first I was concerned until I read the article posted here about Adult/teenager relationships. Besides, he has it coming more often than not. He goes out of his way to irritate her, I have separated them several times only to see him return to poke her with his nose continually until she goes after him.

I am sure my wife would think I should have included much more, but there are plenty of future posts to share.

Anyways, introducing Dixie (5 1/2) and Luke (11 months).

The two of them meeting for the first time.

The first time either of them ever saw snow. Luke loves snow, Dixie seems like she would rather do without it.

Luke

Dixie

Tim

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Welcome! Dixie and Luke are both very beautiful hounds. I know what you mean about how the dogs play. Yogi is 5 years old and Gunny (GSD) is 2 years old. Gunny loves to devil Yogi and will continue to go back for more even after Yogi tells him off. Glutton for punishment, I guess! :lol: Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your two hounds.

Mary Ann and Yogi

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Welcome to the board. I think it is great you have taken an active role in doing everyting you can for your son. I have a student in my class whom I suspect to be autistic, but his mom swears he is just shy... :blink: but that's for a whole 'nother message board completely...

Anway welcome to the board and your 2 are fab.

~Heather

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where abouts in MD are you? I'm in Southern MD. Beautiful hounds! My Indiana is 14 months old... we just got him in November. Welcome to the board. Indy says Herro to Luke and Dixie...[/b]
We are in Glen Burnie, on the south side of Baltimore. We almost got our first basset from a breeder in your area but they did not have any available at the time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We are in Glen Burnie, on the south side of Baltimore. We almost got our first basset from a breeder in your area but they did not have any available at the time.[/b]

I went to college at Towson and did my student teaching in Howard county so I was in that general area for a while. Do you remember the name of the breeder? Before we got Indy we were looking into puppies and there was one breeder down here, but I was a bit skeptic of buying from them. Then as luck may have it my cousin in Delaware decided that our boy was too much for him and we adopted the cutie pie :wub: .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you remember the name of the breeder? Before we got Indy we were looking into puppies and there was one breeder down here, but I was a bit skeptic of buying from them.[/b]

No, I do not remember their name. They seemed all right to me, they would not adopt unless you met the them and the dogs first, that usually is a good sign that they are a good breeder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.