Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say Hello to Everyone. This is my first time on the Basset Forum, and I'm in hopes to get some good advice on how to help my 20 month old learn to listen! I have a beautiful baby girl who is so strong willed that it scares me. I'm not new to having animals, but am new to Bassets ~ Wow, is my Bella a handful! But, I do love, love, love her! Not too many people share in my feelings, so I will need some help later on (when I get used to this site and figure out how it all works). Thanks!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome. Do you have any pictures of her?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome! We love pictures so post many. Your Bella and our Byron are about the same age. Byron has selective listening and is also a handful. We may have a lot in common.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe this stubborness is typical of Bassets (my girl any way). My girl does what she wants when she wants too. Some of that is my fault. When I got her (about 1 1/2 years ago) I knew she had a bad puppyhood so I was extremely nice to her and didn't discipline her at all. Well now she is a brat, adorable, but a brat. I love her though. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just wanted to say Hello to Everyone. This is my first time on the Basset Forum, and I'm in hopes to get some good advice on how to help my 20 month old learn to listen! I have a beautiful baby girl who is so strong willed that it scares me. I'm not new to having animals, but am new to Bassets ~ Wow, is my Bella a handful! But, I do love, love, love her! Not too many people share in my feelings, so I will need some help later on (when I get used to this site and figure out how it all works). Thanks!
[/b]
I'm also new :) welcome!

My Boris is so active! I try so hard to get a good picture of her but she can't keep still. She's great!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bassets have a will of their own. You may want to check into obedience training. Never tried it myself, our bassets have us trained pretty good. :D Leashes are a must when going out for walks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a picture of my Bella as promised. Can't seem to put her in my profile just yet, but hopefully soon.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Just wanted to say Hello to Everyone. This is my first time on the Basset Forum, and I'm in hopes to get some good advice on how to help my 20 month old learn to listen! ![/b]
You just need to give her a reason to listen. Most bassets are motivated by different things than other breeds so they have the reputation as being hard to train but you will find most that own them find them highly intellegent. Most bassets find food highly motivating. Consider reducing her meals by 1/3 to 1/2 and use that food to train during the day.

some articles that should be helpful

hard to Train?

LEADERSHIP BASICS

REWARDS, LURES & BRIBES
What is the difference between a reward, a lure and a bribe? Explanations & tips.

DEPOSITS INTO THE PERFECT RECALL ACCOUNT
LIST OF REINFORCERS
DISTRACTIONS FOR YOUR RECALL

book
Shaping Success

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bassets are very intelligent and indendent thinkers. You can just watch the wheels turn as they decide if something is worth doing or not. They are food motivated and treats work well. Just remember to watch for weight gain and you can even use part of their kibble for treats.
Obedience classes of some kind are great. They not only train you how to work with you hound, but they are also great socialization for your hound. PetSmart, PetCo, 4H, etc. often offer classes, from puppy on up. We took Bogie through the AKC Canine Good Citizen classes, and we both learned so much. He's a joy to walk now, and great around kids, babies, and other dogs, and we take him everywhere. Bogie is a very high energy Basset and a handful, but the classes worked wonders. Good luck with Bella.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
We have a Bella, too. Do try food training, and a *decent* obedience class. Look for some one who uses positive methods, and who has trained a range of breeds. Many local obedience clubs put these on regularly. BubbaLeroy is right--if you can find a place that trains your dog towards an AKC Canine Good Citizen certificate, that's a real plus, and fun for you and your dog.

·
Registered
118 Posts
There seems to be an "Ah - ha" moment in the basset owner's life when it hits us - that bassets are not like other dogs & we all come to terms with that at some point. Only then can you find true peace!

José a loveable, gentle little(okay, "big) clown, who sheds and drools, and feels entitled to jump on anyone sitting on the couch. He won't stop anyone from breaking into the house (unless licking someone to death counts), he scratches to go outside, then in, then out... just to keep you on your toes. He must sleep covered up in his comforter & if forced out of bed in the morning he will do his business then go right back to bed until about noon. He would gladly let any stranger take him anywhere. He loves all other dogs & cats but sadly looks so confused if he gets barked at or if a cat runs away from his wet nose. In short, bassets are love machines, put on this earth to teach us the virtue of patience.

They aren't like other dogs. In comparison to "normal" dogs:
*Fetch is played only if they feel like it. Sometimes José will run after the ball I throw. Once in a while he might even bring it back near me (never giving it to me). Sometimes he just watches me throw it & looks at me like he is trying to figure out what is wrong with me.
*He can't catch a treat if you throw it. Poor guy gets bonked on the nose or backs away to avoid it. Exceptions can be made with carrots, as he watches me cut them after a while I can just throw a piece to him & he will catch it.
* He needs a leash constantly & acts as if the name you're screaming out to him is something he has never heard in his 5 1/2 years on this planet.
*He will jump up on the nightstand & get the wrappers/dishes/leftover coffee that my husband left there. He gets yelled at to get "Down", leaves the room, then walks back in & jumps up again. It's not like he doesn't know, he just doesn't care.

Wouldn't trade José for the world!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The above description of Jose' and the above video are perfect "stubborn Basset" examples.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Need More Help! Hello again and thanks everyone for the wonderful advice. Bella sure does love her food (which is becoming a problem). Every time she goes out and comes back in she thinks she deserves 2 treats (a soft one and a bone). And, of course, being as well trained as I am ~ I give in! Another problem with Bella is that she just won't stop barking. It seems no matter what I do to try to get her to stop............she won't! I have another dog in our house. Her name is Daisy and she is a 7 year old Boston Terrier. Bella picks on Daisy (just in play) but Bella is so jealous over me even petting Daisy that she barks. Actually, Bella barks over everything. She truely does love her food and treats so how can I use this tool to my advantage to stop the barking???

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts