Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ..I'm new to the forum also just adopted a 8 yr old male basset his name is Stanley.We've had him now about 2 months.He is very loveable , moody, and funny as all get out.He has this thing about needing his belly rubbed ALL THE TIME or he'll throw a tantrum stomping his paws, whining the whole nine yards. I have a newcomer question we currently have him on frontline and hydroxyzine for the itching but he continues to itch his belly is red from irritation.We had him groomed a few days ago I've noticed an increase in his itching.I was thinking of giving him a bath. What type of shampoo do you all sugest using?Hopefully I'll have a some pics up soon of " my man".
Stanleyowns aka Dawn

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome to the site. I stop by every so often. Not nearly as much as many other friendly folks but enough to really enjoy seeing what the "regulars" are up to. Nice people and terrific bassets. I love to watch for Rusty and Stickers videos!! And pictures of Doris and Emma are always worth looking at!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Welcome! Definitely post some photos of the new guy.

As far as shampoos ...our vet suggested getting a 'soap free' shampoo, so that the Frontline will not be washed away. They are just like normal, sudsing shampoos but they are without an ingredient that washes away the flea protection. (I think it's some sort of sulfate?) We got ours at the vet but I've seen them at Petsmart and I saw another brand at a fancy dog accessory store.

Hope this helps. That first year as a new Basset parent is a tough one B)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Welcome! Stanley sounds like he's a normal basset. :lol: :lol: Digger will paw at me if I don't pet him right away, or if I quit petting him. The new puppy is almost the same way. Dozer is more of a loner, but will play when he wants to.
Some groomers use perfume on dogs, and it may be making him itch more if his skin is that sensitive. A bath may help. Someone on here with a similar problem may be able to help you more.
Don't forget the pics. We love pictures on here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi
Our Charlie (GA) use to have a rash on his chest and stomach. I thought he was allergic to the weeds in our back yard, but ended up he was allergic to wheat, and flour. After switching his food to lamb and rice with no wheat or corn etc in it he was fine. I felt horrible for the last few years of his life he was miserable and all it took was switching his food. You might want to check out what is in his food. I bought some small bags of different food until I found one that worked and when it did it was really quick from Friday to Sunday he stopped itching. Then one night we were having pizza and we gave him some crust and he itched all night.

Stephanie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got the rash taken of come to find out he was allegric to the carpet fresh I was using have shampoo carpets all thru the house he is doing wonderful now.Thanks all for the info it helped alot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts