Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, first post here. I've owned 5 Bassets over the last 30 years. I doubt that makes me any kind of expert but it has brought up many questions. This is my first opportunity to have a computer and the "dawgs" at the same time. My wife has now decided she'd like to try breeding our two Bassets we've recently rescued. Their previous owners, for one reason or another, couldn't keep them. I'm going to post a couple of seperate questions at this point that have raised my couriosity over the my years of ownership of the breed. Hopefully the questions will bring answers to some observations I've made. Glad to have found the board.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. I don't know if it makes you an expert, but I
do know that it makes you a lucky guy ;)

I don't know how much your wife have thought this breeding thing through.
I just have one question, do you have the dogs pedigree? I am strongly
opposed to breeding dogs without a pedigree. The breed of basset hounds are
not in such a situation that one needs to breed dogs withouth a pedigree.
Remember you don't have the slightest idea of the genetic history of the dog
one of the most important things when it comes to breeding.

If you do have their pedigrees disregard this comment, just makes sure that
they are good match, not just bred because their in the same house.

Anyhow, we _do_ need pictures of your litter critters. Pictures! Picutres! Pictures! *chanting*

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Welcome to CyberHound! :) I agree with Kaira--there are many good reasons not to breed rescue bassets. Their temperaments and health histories are unknown, and there's no information available on related dogs, which can be very important. And unfortunately in the US, shelters and basset rescue organizations already have plenty of rescue bassets available; there's no conscionable reason to deliberately add more puppies and dogs to this already unfortunate group.:(

Someone who truly loves the breed, who wants to breed correct, sound, healthy bassets, would do well to go to dog shows, meet other basset exhibitors/breeders and join their local basset hound club and the Basset Hound Club of America. This way, they can start to learn what's necessary to produce healthy, nice-looking bassets with great temperaments. :)

Most people who breed would like to be considered ethical, responsible breeders. Here are some links to discussions of ethical, responsible breeding practices.

Thoughts on Responsible Breeding
Checklist for the Responsible Breeder
Breeding/Information on Breeding
Backyard Breeder vs. Reputable Breeder
No Christmas Puppies
Finding a Good Breeder

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Points well taken. I'm still a bit leary of taking on the responsibility and want more information about breeding. It'll be another three months before Molly comes back in heat. Yes we do have the papers on the dogs though I've not seen photos of any of the previous litters. The female, "Molly," which we just got a couple of days ago; just had pups. The last of these were sold about a week ago. Both dogs are well marked, pronounced occiputs, straight backed, strong legged. "Funk," the male, wasn't well taken care of by either of his previous owners and even after a year and a half, we're still trying to get his toe nails cut back right. He's going on six and Molly is going on four years old. While we haven't had Molly long enough to assess her personality she seems very calm but rather timid, in that a quick movement or raise of a hand will make her hunker down. That may just be the "new" between us. Funk is very friendly and pretty smart for a dog that has had no training. He's great with kids. The jury's still out on Molly. The grands will meet her this weekend. I'm in the process of building a 75 X 30 kennel in the backyard. While I let the dogs inside daily, I'm not much on perminant indoor animals. Its hard enough to keep the house clean without having to clean up dog hair from two animals as well as a cat. OH! Yeah neither have a problem with "Elvis" our cat.

click on image to enlarge

1 - 5 of 5 Posts