Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I found a Basset tied to a street sign at 2 am Friday morning. She has a collar but no tags and was afixed to the sign with an 8 foot piece of rope. I called the local police, sheriff, local radio station, and the 3 humane societies within 75 miles. I left a description of her and my name and phone number...so far no one has called. :mad:
I already have a min pin and 2 cats but this basset is SO sweet and loving I don't know if I can see her going to another home. I call her Hariette. I have no idea how old she is, she's not a puppy but she's not greying. She's smaller than other bassets I've seen. She's tri colored and has 1 blue eye. She seems to be housebroken and she can "sit" and "come here". She appears to be in great health and doesn't act like she's ever been abused (or even yelled at). It looks like her ears are a bit red but they don't stink. I gave her a bath today and she was fine with that. Someone obviously loved her (until the other day). It makes me sad to think someone would dump such a loving dog. On monday I'll take her to the local vet clinic to see if she has a microchip or if the receptionist recognises her (it's a small town). Now for my questions:

What can I use to clean her ears?
Can anyone recommend any websites for basset health and care info so I can get a "crash course" in these dogs?

I've had dogs my whole life but I've never had a basset before.
Thanks
Jess

·
Registered
186 Posts
thats so mean how could someone do that? for my dogs ears i just use an ear cleaning solution i got at petsmart and a cotton ball. god bless you for rescuing that sweet dog. if you get to keep her you will learn how great and loving bassets are!

·
Registered
878 Posts
How anybody can tie up a Basset Hound to a pole late at night or at any time of the day just saddens me so much and how good of you to take it home with you. If it was me I'd have done the same and I would keep it too.

Hopefully the person who did this dreadful thing can be traced and be punished because it's a despicable thing to do when there are so many dog homes and rescue centres who would take care of a Basset Hound.

I use Otoclean from my vet (with cotton wool) or (buy it cheaper online) to keep my Bassets' ears clean

Otoclean Ear Cleaner 16 x 5ml Bottles - £7.58

and you have to make sure you dry them out afterwards with some cotton wool because they can remain moist and warm and bacteria likes those conditions! When my Bassets are laying down, I often flip their ears back to expose the inside to the air.

This is a good website/forum to get help as there are a lot of good Basset Hound breeders on here. Join up and post a message or question and help will be at hand!

http://www.champdogsforum.co.uk/ ------ http://www.champdogs.co.uk/

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
If you are looking for a more homemade recipe a 50/50 mix of distilled white vinegar and rubbing alcohol The vinegar is antimicrobial and the alcohol has drying effect on ear canals making it a less hospitable place for yeast and bacteria to grow. Witch hazel is a less irrating alternative to alcohol as well.
Fwiw I find cotton pads much esier to use than cotton balls for ear cleaning. Also warming the cleaner to body temp like you would do with a babies bottle seems to make the ear cleaning experience more pleasant for most dogs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you are looking for a more homemade recipe a 50/50 mix of distilled white vinegar and rubbing alcohol The vinegar is antimicrobial and the alcohol has drying effect on ear canals making it a less hospitable place for yeast and bacteria to grow. Witch hazel is a less irrating alternative to alcohol as well.
Fwiw I find cotton pads much esier to use than cotton balls for ear cleaning. Also warming the cleaner to body temp like you would do with a babies bottle seems to make the ear cleaning experience more pleasant for most dogs.
I heard from one site that alcohol should never be used to clean ear (especially when squirt inside the ear).. is that true? or do you think it is a bit overstatement? I found conflicting info about this so I kinda want to make sure I did not accidentally harming my puppy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. MikeyT, I am looking for something a bit more homemade since I'm not sure how long Hariette will be staying and the min pin has never had any ear issues. I'd rather not go to the pet store to buy a bottle of something I'll only use once...seems wasteful and the pet store is a 40 minute drive from here.
I have also heard conflicting information on using alcohol.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
heard from one site that alcohol should never be used to clean ear
alcohol in particular Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is a major component of most ear cleaner. It can be irrating to sensitive ears if there is such a a cut in the canal or an active infection. Also alcohol is mildly Ototoxic. That means it can do damage to the middle and inner ear. But this is never a problem if the eardrum is intact however in severe or cronic infection it is likely the ear drum is compromised and therefore more caution needs to be used. But even alcohol free ear clears general contain polypropolyene glycol which is ototoxic aslother ingredients that may be as well. Also keep in mind that acetic acid (vinegar) is thought to be ototoxic as well. It is important to use ear cleaner for that purpose clean ears and discontinue and get a veterinary diagnose and treatment if an infection is suspected.

Ototoxicity

Ototoxicity in Dogs and Cats

Ototoxicity

The Importance of Ototoxicity

The round window as access route for agents injurious to the inner ear.

Otitis
"Commercial otic drying agents should be avoided in inflamed, chronically diseased ears because most contain isopropyl alcohol and varying concentrations of benzoic, acetic, salicylic, or boric acid. Each of these products individually can be extremely irritating to an already traumatized epithelium."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts