Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local humane society recently received a beautiful 5-6 month old male. He is so sweet. He was unfortunately neglected severly. He has a bad left hind leg the vet says will need to come off due to a severe break that healed wrong (his hock is fused and he trips incessantly).

Well the humane society was going to out this beauty to sleep because they could not afford the $150.00 the vet would charge for the leg, plus shots, pplus neutering. Okay, long story short, we took him.

I am a huge dog person but knows nothing about Bassets. I need to know if anyone else has had this dilemna and how the dog did? I feel so horrible about him losing his rear leg, but he was so beautiful, how could I let this boy die?

Please please someone help with some advice if you have any in this arena. He is already fitting into our home, we have many dogs and one more who we can love is fine for us, BUT..

We are just worried with our busy dogs how this little guy will do OR should we look here for someone to adopt him and care for him in a quieter home?

Tal

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
How he does in your busy household depends on his personality. Some dogs will thrive on it, others prefer something calmer.

As far as the leg goes, we used to have a lab mix who lost a front leg, he adapted just fine and was still able to run, catch his frisbee, even swim. I'd think a back leg would be easier as there is less weight on the rear.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've known a few tripods and they all did fine. I saw a dog on tv that lost 2 legs on the same side and STILL ran around like a lunatic. No worries...they adjust. :) It'll actually probably be more comfortable for him.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've known a basset who lost his entire front leg to the shoulder, and a greyhound that had his rear leg amputated to the hip...both did very well and even participated in rescue parades

Judy

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
We actually had the option to have our lab's shoulder reconstructed, but we decided against it because the recovery time would have been much longer (about 6 months) and the vet said it would never work properly anyways, he would be more restricted with the stiff leg than without one. Leaving the leg on would have been basically for cosmetics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Thank you. Well, Arthur came through surgery well. It was this pm, vet called at 5 and said he is already wagging and trying to scoot around.

I also saw the dog on tv born without front legs who walked around. Our Arthur is a toughie, I thanks you all for your stories, I shared them all with my family. It made us feel better.

We want to see Arthur so bad, but the vet said another day so he doesn't get too excited. I am crying now, because of what we have done. I know this was the only way, but it seems so cruel. I hate these people that did this to him. Please keep Arthur in your thoughts and I will email a pic as soon as possible. Tal

·
Registered
694 Posts
Oh, Tal.....don't feel bad! You saved him from certain death!! Having a unfunctional and cumberson leg removed will allow him greater mobility in the long run. He'll miss his leg more for the scratching of his cheek than for walking.

You will bring him into your loveing home and he will heal and a magnifcent bond will form.....he will always love you for saving him.

Give Arthur hugs and gentle belly rubs from me and my houndies tomorrow! :)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Keep your chin up. I promise you that his altered state will bother him less than it bothers YOU! I was crushed, heartbrokeen, when my Ananbelle lost her sight to glacuoma. She, however, was fine. She just accepted it, and went on wtih her life - full speed ahead!

·
Registered
40 Posts
You are a wonderful person to take in Arthur and take care of him. I know it seems hard right now, but I know Arthur will adjust. Ya know, I was told that animals adjust better to health situations than humans do, and you know what, that's absolutely true. Animals go with the flow; a lot of humans whine and carry on. You did the right thing! Enjoy your baby!

Angel's Mom

·
Registered
249 Posts
Tal,

Why in the world would you think it's cruel? You've probably eased his discomfort by tenfold!! Just remember, dogs don't have the same prejudices, thought processes, etc. that we do. He'll think nothing of being a tripod! :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Tal,
Arthur is one lucky pup to have found such a wonderful caring family. I admire your courage in taking Arthur home and deciding on his operation. I'm sure the decision was not an easy one, but I have a very good feeling about Arthur's recovery. What's important to Arthur is that he is loved. Congratulations. Maggie and Augie are sending healing drool your way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts