Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We are new to the forum, but have owned Bassets for 13 years. We are looking for advice and assistance with health, care and training. We have a large home and yard and use invisible fencing for containment. We lost our first Basset last year. It was not easy. We found a gorgeous puppy so our second dog wouldn't be lonely. We have realized that this new puppy is entirely too energetic for our now old lady. We are currently looking to add a third and it appears we have found this dog. Picts coming if this goes as expected. Pleasure to meet you all and look forward to cruising these pages and seeing your beautiful dogs. Thanks, Adam and Dawn
IMG_3336.jpeg IMG_7158.jpeg IMG_5546.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow Teazlesmon has not commented on toenail length, going soft on us .
We had just got that dog. She was dumped on my mom's property in Indiana. Weighed 22 pounds and her nails were about double that length. It was a long haul to get them to normal. She was about a year old as best we could tell. She also had a noticeable mark around her neck from a collar that was too tight. This dog was in rough shape. Vet told us a few days from death. Ended up being an incredible pet and friend. We lost her in October last year and I still am tearful thinking about her.
Keeping them a decent length is definitely a chore. We struggle with it. My wife gets very anxious about the task and makes it even harder.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
FWIW if you can your wife simply feed treats to the dog while you do the nails no restraint at all probably a better experience all around for the dog and your wife. Nothing
makes a basset more anxious than an anxious owner . How we had to do it with a rescue with know human/touch aggression problems a known biter and would cause damage,. Was able to do nails without a muzzle but still safer with one on. My Wife the groomer/nail whisper general preferers and E collar for biters and touch sensitive dogs.
Keeping them a decent length is definitely a chore
feel your pain we have 12

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW if you can your wife simply feed treats to the dog while you do the nails no restraint at all probably a better experience all around for the dog and your wife. Nothing
makes a basset more anxious than an anxious owner . How we had to do it with a rescue with know human/touch aggression problems a known biter and would cause damage,. Was able to do nails without a muzzle but still safer with one on. My Wife the groomer/nail whisper general preferers and E collar for biters and touch sensitive dogs.

feel your pain we have 12
Thanks for the good advice. That is exactly how we do it. It might be possible that her close proximity is causing the transferred anxiety! On the good news front, we will be receiving a puppy in a few weeks. He is the half-brother of our youngest dog. We are very excited. Counting the days!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts