Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone! My name is Amber and my Basset is Kenna! My husband and I got Kenna when she was 8 weeks old; she is now 2 1/2 years old! She is a very active and loving Basset. She is VERY stubborn also! I was referred here by friend that said I would be able to get great advice from other Basset lovers!!!

Right now with the heat, Kenna is very itchy :( Its worst on her neck! :( I assume this is from the heat, but maybe it’s her dog food. We have ALWAYS fed Kenna Iams. Her tummy does very well with that. We have tried other foods and she always gets sick. The only other food that we have found she does good on is Blue Buffalo. Does anyone else use Blue Buffalo with their Basset, what are your thoughts????

Also, does anyone else have trouble with their Basset not liking water? Kenna HATES water! So bath time is a nightmare!!!!!!

We are looking forward to getting some great info from other Basset lovers!!! :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm itchy too. It's the heat. My predecessor bassets always scratched a lot during the summer months. Where do you live? It's REAL hot here in memphis right now. Spozed to be 104 today (that's temp... NOT heat index. Y-I-K-E-S)

I am very jealous of annie oakley whose california weather thingie on her blog always shows temps in the 70s. Grrrr

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We live in Iowa and it's been in the 90's with a heat index in the 100's! :( Kenna LOVES being outside to sunbath, but I just hate that she gets so itchy and she refuses to let me spray her with water. If I get the patio wet, she will not go outside, or she will lay in the grass! She's a stinker!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I am a new basset owner with twin girls 11 wks old. This forum is the BEST place for information about any bassety topic you can think of.

I am sure that you will have several responses re: the itchyness. I live in S. FL where it is hot all the time. The girls have not had any issues with itchness, except for the collars that they hate!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do either of your Bassets have issues where their "arm pits" get irritated and red?? Kenna has always had that and it is always in the summer/fall. We don't know what to do to help her.

This is what Kenna's neck is starting to look like. It's not as bad as her "arm pits" but going in that direction.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Esa falls asleep in the tub sitting up.I have used Aveeno's foot bath on my Grace(ATB) to help stop itching.If your girl hates baths that won't be easy but it did always ease the itching for Grace so I suspect it was something external that bothered her.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Do either of your Bassets have issues where their "arm pits" get irritated and red?? Kenna has always had that and it is always in the summer/fall. We don't know what to do to help her.

This is what Kenna's neck is starting to look like. It's not as bad as her "arm pits" but going in that direction.

Not so much the arm pits, but their bellies do tend to get red. The vet said that it was a minor staph infection and did not need antibiotics, just a little neosporin.

I have read in my many basset books that you may need to put a little bably powder or baby oil under their pits when they get irritated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is GREAT advice! Thank you! Her belly has had no problems so far this summer. We moved her from the grassier area in our yard and we don't have problems. Our vet told us her belly was getting irritated due an allergy to the grass :( Poor girl! She has all kinds of issues! :) I will try the baby powder though!:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Howdy! Welcome to the forum! And yes, there is a lot of useful information on this site and some very informative people as well.

I hope your Kenna does better with some baby powder!
Hank does pretty well in the heat but also itches A LOT because of the heat.. Sadly enough, this summer he has been inside most of the time.(weather has been 110+ outside here in my part of Texas.) He gets a bath every other day, sometimes 3 days, and I use oatmeal included dog shampoo because it's supposed to help their skin and it works for the most part

·
Registered
973 Posts
Both of my dogs hate water. Harley almost drowned as a puppy in a swimming pool. No idea why Anabelle hates it but I assume it has something to do with rainy days as a stray.

I don't think it is uncommon for dogs to hate water if they've never been shown that it's a good thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What would you suggest we do that would be fun for Kenna so she would take baths? She will sit there while I do it, but it is a fight to get her in there. Luckily Kenna is a smaller Basset, about 40lbs. So, we can pick her up, but she squirms the whole way to the tub.
We actually do use shampoo with the oatmeal in it. But baths every other day, i am not sure Kenna would like us very much!

Also, do all Bassets shed?? Kenna sheds something HORRIBLE!!!!! Of course it is worse right now, but I have no idea what to do about the shedding. We do brush her, probably not as much as I should, but she also hates the brush!

Kenna is a very picky dog! She also hates her toe nails clipped :( I have had to start taking her to the groomer to get them done, because I just can't hold her down to do it. My husband can, but I just don't feel that it is very nice to hold her down to clip them :( She just hates it so much.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Welcome Amber and Kenna :) We love pictures!!!

Annie doesn't care much for bath time either, it's a struggle. But it must be done. She just went through a MAJOR shed...as in I could stuff and sell pillows full of beautiful basset fur. No joke, I actually think she looks skinnier because of all the hair she lost. Mommy's little yeti :) Anyways, as for the itchy irritated armpits, we use Gold Bond Powder when they seem to be bothersome. It makes them into pretty pits again.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Right now with the heat, Kenna is very itchy :( Its worst on her neck! :( I assume this is from the heat, but maybe it’s her dog food
It is not likely the dog food The trunk and feet are more common areas for allergy itching to manifest itself and even then food allergies only acount for 10-15% of allergies in dogs.

Does she wear a collar? this can be a contributing factor. One it traps mosture. and dirt that support an enviroment that can cause yeast/fugus to proliferate. Yeast infection itch. Simply only using a collar when the dog is outside the house or a containment fence will help alot. Using spot cleaning with an antimicrobial wipe like derma pet malacetic ( vinegar and 1% boric acid(eye wash) your own hand made solution like vinegar or vinegar and alcohol. Ort have found original listerine effective as well. Using a antifungal medicated shampoo, Keeping the area dry with medicated powder, atheletes foot powders are also antifungal/yeast.

The only other food that we have found she does good on is Blue Buffalo. Does anyone else use Blue Buffalo with their Basset, what are your thoughts????
It really does not mattter how other dogs do on a particular food what does matter is how your dog does on it. If Bulue bullalo works for her then it is a good food, if not then it is not. Something to consider. Rather than feeding Iam or blue buffalo exclusively you could feed both. I an not say at the same time. but thae idea you should feed a single food for the life of the dog is simply dog food company marketing that is of no benefit of the dog. We do not know enough about human nutrition to make a claim of complete and balance it is why docs recommend moderation and varriety in the diet. With dogs we know even less about their nutritional need. providing variety is not a bad thing.

Also, does anyone else have trouble with their Basset not liking water? Kenna HATES water! So bath time is a nightmare!!!!!!
It is much more common for a basset to hate water than have one that like its or swims etc.

She is VERY stubborn
Never met a stubborn basset in my life. Just owner that did not understand the need to and how to motivate the dog. Unlike so called easy to train breed a basset get very little or no pleasure out of pleasing you. I have to laugh when an old school trainer says the dog should do x, y or z not for food, toy etc it should do it to please you. This is obviously a trainer that will be inept at training a basset. The key to traing a basset and getting it to do what you want is creating the impression in the basset mind that complying with your request is in its best interest,

see hard to train?

Stuborn Basset!
\

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate all of your advice! This is going to be very helpful! I will for sure try the Gold Bond.

Kenna is going to get a full grooming from Mommy tonight! :) She will be o so please! :) Maybe if I treat her before she wont be too upset with me! Usually after her bath she wants NOTHING to do with treats!

I do not think I will alternate Kenna's food from brand to brand, because she does have a sensitive tummy, I just think that will be too hard on her. I am going to do some research and see what each one has in them and what they are do for dogs. I know Kenna does well on both, just wanted to see if anyone else used the Blue Buffalo or Iams for their basset.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have TONS of pictures of Kenna that I will get up soon!!! :) I did not mention that Kenna is a red/white Basset! :)

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Yep they shed
Please basset are one of the few non-shedding breed the problem is not that the shed because the don't It is just the animal magntism of their fur coat every known supstance including teflon which nothing sticks to is hilghly attracted to basset hair. It is not that basset shed but that every know oppject letterially and figuratively reachs out and pluck the hair out of bassets.

Basical every week a basset must regenerate an entire new coat because of this effected. and somthing wierd happen at the spring and fall equinox that effect the magnetic field of the plant which causes basset to loose their coat on the order of one an hour.

We do brush her, probably not as much as I should, but she also hates the brush!
most of mine do not like a brush or comb, but do like a hound mitt but in my experience it removes very little hair. A shedding blade though it looks barbaric gets no complaints as well and is pretty darn effective at removing hair. and under coat rake but not a traditional rake with tines but one that have multiple hooked blades is well tollerate too. there is probable a specal name for this tool

oster grooming rake

but it is a fight to get her in there. Luckily Kenna is a smaller Basset, about 40lbs. So, we can pick her up, but she squirms the whole way to the tub.
The problem is the tub. If you use a walk in shower (just be sure the handheld shower attachment has enough hose to reach the shower floor) there is no heavy lifting. Don't have a walk in shower? Now you know what to ask Santa for Christmas!.

Kenna is a very picky dog! She also hates her toe nails clipped
A large percentage if not most basset have a touch sensitivity around their feet. The also have very thick and hard nails that reuire more than standard pressure to clip. While the part of the nail that one clips has no nerving endings the quick which is near by has thousands. Nail cliupping is not a pleasant experience for the average basset. So the trick to making doing the nails eaiser by getting more cooperation from the hound is to add value to the nail clipping experience, Add Value? yes by pairing naol clipping with something the dog desires nail clipping will pick up some of the value of the desired object. Lets say every time a nail cot clipped the dog recieve a piece of a hot dog. and this dog really liked hot dogs. and the only time it got hot dogs was when the nails were clipped. Over time provided nothing traumatic happen durring clipping the dog is going to start looking forward to having its nail clipped. It wil also learn that by being cooperative that the nail gets clip faster so the dog get the hot dog sooner. Well you get it thats the basic premise,

You can also make clipping less unpleasant by not squeezing the nail, make sure the clipper are sharp. File the nails by hand if you got hours and hours to spend doing them. Use a power grinder like a dremel. are all options

How I Dremel Dog Nails

Nail Trimming for Senisitve Dogs

In case you have not quessed by now Kenna is very typical for the breed.

Usually after her bath she wants NOTHING to do with treats!
well of course the most important thing after a bath is to get all that stink you just put on her off. The scent of soap etc is quite simply disgusting to a basset sensibilities so the need to run immeadiate out side and cover themselve in the delicate perfume of a dead and decaying frog or some poop or other erudite fraqrancy. After and only after that has been done can a basset begin to contemblate the delectableness of a food stuff.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Maybe if I treat her before she wont be too upset with me!
Time for behavior modification 101

there are two tipes of training Operant conditioning and Classical conditioning.
In operant conditioning a reward is dependant (operant) on the behavior of the dog Dog sit dog get treat, dog remains standing dog gets nothing.

Clasical condition is like the experiments of pavlov and is not dependant on the dogs behavior. Bell rings, food dish comes. In your case treat comes then bath if this happen enought the dog associates the treat with the bath and not necessarily in a good way. You just might find that when you go to get treats the dog goes hiding. It is far better to work it the other way round bath first then treats. By giving treats first the treat become associate with a bath does not effect how the dog feels about the bath but probable effect how the dog feel about the treats and not in a good way. Turn it a round Bath first then treat the bath is a precurse for the treats and picks up the value of the treats Order is very important here.

The only problem with treat after the bath is what is being reward is the end of the bath So the dog may try and experiment with way to get the bath to end sooner. not really what you want as well. I would suggest actual giving treat while bathing or perhaps after every major step. Dog in tub treat. Dog wet down, treat . dog soaped up, treat. dog rinsed, trea. dog rinsed second time, treat, Dog out of tubm treat dog dried in towel, treat.

The reason I bother in trying to explain why is simply this, for every dog you will need to tweek the how to obtain maximium efficiency in training. if you don't understand the why it make any tweek a crap shoot. If you understand the why it make a tweek more likely to work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts