Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I'm back in action now that school is winding down for a little while! I have an issue that I'm hoping someone can at least offer some insight on. For those of you that responded to my previous posts about Maddie being a frequent pottier, that problem has subsided some. She's much better about holding it for longer periods of time, as I've started crating her when I'm gone. She doesn't seem to have any problem with being in her crate and makes me feel better, as I know she's safe while I'm away.

Anyway, while the NEED to go outside has lessened to every two-three hours or so, sometimes she'll have little "leaks" as in, while she's walking around inside, she'll leak urine and leave a nice little trail a couple of feet long. It's obvious that she's not totally letting loose on the carpet (no big puddles at the end of the trail or anything) BUT these leaks are becoming quite frustrating.

Is this something I should be concerned with? Will it go away with time? Should we pay another visit to the vet? I have had her checked MULTIPLE times for urinary tract infections, and she's never been diagnosed with one. Could there be a bigger, or at least different, issue on my hands?

By the way, Maddie will be 1 on June 16th, so as far as I've read, she should be able to hold her potties for a pretty extended period of time at this point.

Thanks guys! Any help or advice is welcome!

Rachel and Maddie

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
sometimes she'll have little "leaks" as in, while she's walking around inside, she'll leak urine and leave a nice little trail a couple of feet long
as I have nemtioned a few time It is my belief (no solid evidence) that a big contributing factor in difficulty in house training bassets is they a slow to mature , gain spnintcer control of both the bowls and bladder. I have not seen a basset I wou;ld consider house trained younger than six months. Leaking is part of it.

There are some medical causes but they are fairly rare a uti could be involved but it is not likely the dribbling would occur shortly after going outside if that were the case. Anther medical cause with similar symptoms is if the tilt of the blader and the routing of the urethra are not correct the dog can go an feel it has emptyied itslf but urine remains trapled in low spots and leaks out later as activity moves it around.

There are some behavioral causes as well general calssifies as submissive urination and excitement urination the classic submissive urinator greets stranger or new individual human and/or dogs by turning belly up and leak urine. An excitement unrinator tends to leave a trail as it ethusiastically greats or comes running to great people. In moth cases it is something nearly app puppies out geow. It is not something you want to punish the dog for as it is likely to make the problem worese especial in with submissive urination. But if you know the cause you can anticipate the problem and reduce incidents such has having the dog great new peop;e outside at first. Work on making leaving and returning less exciting. etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply - it was very encouraging! And yes, I have also learned that potty training a Basset is a rather long process, in comparison to other breeds I have had. That being said, she's doing quite well and as you said, hopefully she will grow out of it soon enough!

It is neither excited or submissive urination. It literally just happens while she's in the house hanging out, maybe walking from a toy over to another toy. But it's not a big problem.. I just wanted to make sure this was at least fairly-common. If the concept of "common" even exists! :)

Thank you again for taking the time to reply!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
There is such thing as spay incontinence but it general occurs in older females however I have owned two beagles in which it began at about the age of two it is generally easily treated but the common symptoms is different usually the dogs leak while sleeping so puddles appear in their normal sleeping areas

FWIW the walking dirbblin pee IMHO is more common in males than females

1 - 6 of 6 Posts