Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! In two weeks we are adding a second basset to the family. We currently have an 8 yr old named Fred. Although he is 8, Fred is still very babyish, playful, and not at all grumpy. He has been an only dog for his whole life and I'm worried about how he will react to the new puppy (a little girl). Fred has always reacted well to other bassets when he's been around any. If anyone can give me tips for introduction or any success stories of older bassets and new puppies that would be great. I just need some reassurance. :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Fred sounds like he will be very happy having a new playmate, especially a girly Basset. In three generations of my Basset owning family, we have always found that a new puppy settles quickly with an older Basset already in the house to snuggle up to and the older dog takes on a new lease of life.

I hope you will all have fun times together!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
if there is going to be a problem it is usually between adult or adults and adolescents rarely puppies. That is because to and around 20 weeks of age puppies have what is known as "puppy license' to act as obnoxious as they want to adults without reprecussion. When the dog matures and the sex hormones star being produce the license is revoked and the puppy is disiplined for transgression in dog protocol. see the articles below and the importance of the stage in the dog learn proper social behavior with other dogs, and how interfering with it when no harm is acutally occuring can be very detrimental.

That said if you want to do an introduction it is best at a nuetral site.

Puppy license and adult behavior–STOP SEPARATING PLAY.

Social Hierarchies
The termination of this 'puppy license' is cued by rising testosterone levels in male pups at four- to five-months of age, which reach a peak around 10 months (4-5 ng/ml) before declining to adult levels (1-2 ng/ml). When puppies approached adolescence, they were continually harassed by adult dogs. Male adolescents were especially targeted by adult males. This stressful phase of social development is mercifully short, because the pups quickly learn to display active and exaggerated appeasement in order to allay harassment by adults, i.e., the pups learn their station in life before they become serious competition on the social scene
The Puppy License and its loss

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your replies! Fred was our very first basset so this will be our first experience with two. He's been the greatest joy and I can't imagine having another breed.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Perhaps you could take Fred along with you when you collect your puppy and they can get used to each other in the car on their way home!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Generally you are supposed to do an introduction in a neutral area where neither dog will feel the other is intruding on their home, like at a park. For us, we introduced Harley and Anabelle in the lobby of the shelter. When you get home, let your puppy go inside first before Fred.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Can't wait to hear about the homecoming.

Post some pictures if you can.

Do you have a name picked out for the new pup?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will definitely post pictures. We will be picking her up on April 1st so not too much longer! We've decided to name her Sophie. And again thanks for all the suggestions. If I've done it right I think I attached the picture we got from the breeder of our new baby.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts