Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up our first pureblood Basset last weekend and my wife and I had a few questions. He's a cute 10 week old male who's name is now Rufus. He's gotten over the night-time whining pretty much and scratches at the door when he needs to go out to do his business (so far). Anyway, he was being fed Purina Healthy Morsels, but we're going to be switching him over the Wellness Large Breed Puppy kibble over the next week or two. We've never had a dog that was predisposed to bloat and was curious about proper amounts to feed him. He weighs right at 14 lbs this morning and I've been feeding him about 2/3 cup of the Purina 3 times a day. He tends to not drink after he eats as well. Although he sure can hoover the kibble up quick! He's looking for more for a bit after he's done, but after reading some on bloat I'm a little nervous about giving him more. He doesn't whine or anything for more, just keeps searching in the bowl. We try to get him to lie down for a while after eating which is normally not a problem, as well as not get him too riled up before. The idea of bloat really has us worried.

I'm sure we'll have more questions as we go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it.

Mikey T, those dogs are what my pup looks like now after a week, so hopefully we're on the right track as far as feeding goes. We are going to try shifting his food over to the Wellness Large Breed Puppy. He's got some itching problems and we've not seen any fleas or anything and it seems to be a better mix than the stuff he's on now. We want to try eliminating corn in his food and see if that helps. Of course it may be our bermuda grass as that stuff will hold mold spores. I hate that stuff and it needs to go anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW food allergies is a 10 week old puppy would be exceedingly rare. Also given the fact that food allergies only make up 10% of all dog allergies they are much less common, then the general public believes.

what is the puppies coat like - oily perhaps with dandruff?[/b]
Interesting info Mikey T. Good to know. There are lots and lots of contradictory statements out on the web, as usual. Being in the science profession I also know that scientific studies more often than not seem to skew towards whatever the investigators were looking for. Seems like trial and error are the order of the day. We bought a small bag of the Wellness today and will introduce it over the next week to see. I don't mind spending more if he likes it and does well.

The puppies coat is shiny and smooth, not oily at all and no dandruff that I can see.

What pet foods would you personally recommend and which ones would you bypass trying and using?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are more likey suspects to be investigated including flea bite dermatitis even absent the observable presence of fleas because dogs can be hypersensitive to a single bite.
Flea Allergy Dermatitis or Flea Bite Hypersensitivity [/b]

Bingo. We've been checking him for several days for fleas but have never seen any. Did the walk around the yard in tall white socks business, nada. Picked up a flea comb yesterday and pulled four off of him last night and one this morning. He seems to be scratching less already. Poor thing. He goes in for his 2nd round of vaccinations and first check with our vet Tuesday, so well see about getting him on something (Frontline Plus?). We vacuumed several times already and washed his crate padding and bed cover. Although I didn't "see" any in the yard, I'm sure they are there as we have rabbits in the backyard every morning.

My wife said when she picked up the comb there were about 20 people in the aisle with the flea products.

Any suggestions on what to use on the yard thats safe?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.