Basset Hounds Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Is it true that over feeding them will make them grow to fast and cause bone problems?

I definitely plan on neutering (and microchipping) when do you all think is the best age?

Oliver....maybe.
I would microchip sooner rather than later. Keep an eye out for fundraisers for local shelters like your SPCA as they sometimes will do low-cost microchipping. It will be a heck of a lot cheaper than doing it at your vet. I'm pretty sure it only costs a shelter about $8-$12 per microchip so they will probably charge you only about $20. They also might have a certain day every week or month they do it.

I am not sure about online resources or basset specific resources for information, but I would recommend that anyone interested in learning how their dog thinks read Cesar's Way.

·
Registered
972 Posts
SO it's expensive but both my dogs are doing amazing on Organic Select food. Daisy always had poo issues, and Bowser was growing and still adjusting with his puppy system, and when we switched to this brand right away they both are going perfect and normal!

Bowser still LOVES purina though, he thinks it's candy lol (cheaper brands always put attractants in food, especially puppy food to make them eat)

ANyway, three meals a day is perfect. Start off at 3/4 cups of food each meal and increase to one cup each meal (3 cups a day). Puppies need all the protein and vits they can get because the little guy is going to boggle your mind at how fast he's going to grow the first six months...but he will need puppy food for the first year of his life. THen you taper down to 2 cups of food a day, split how you like in two meals or three, with adult dog food.

Anyway....I almost named Bowser Rufus. (his dad was Rufus T Firefly III) but We already had daisy so we stuck with the nintendo theme : )

Gunner is pretty awesome too though! I have a feeling he won't match up to any spunky name you pick for him...Bowser is laaaazy LOL

·
Registered
972 Posts
oh yeah

The microchipping was harsh to watch, for ME cuz that needle was sooo big! So we had them chip bowser when he was 4 months (on the day) when we had him under for being neutered. 4 Months is the earliest they will do the neutering, and we wanted it as soon as possible to prevent him from having his hormones changes his personality or make him want to mark.

And there will be shots he needs every 2-3 weeks up until then. They will do rabies shots now at 4 months also, so you can have everything done and up to date at that time and be off the hook for a while with vet stuff after that lol

When i talked to a three different vets about over feeding and the fast growth, they said to error on the side of making sure your pup has the food and protien he needs to grow, because he's going to grow no matter what. And its' going to be fast. I went with the higher protein content on the food and stayed away from the suppliments/vits because those are the things that will kind of overdo in the "over feeding" department. He'll eat and absorb what he needs to grow.
Bowser is the perfect weight, and actually when i first got him he was underweight at 7lbs and 6weeks old. He also came from a breeder who had a great house, great mom and dad dogs...but he came with worms, fleas, ear mites, ear infection, and MANGE.
ugh. I couldn't feed him enough to GET weight on him.

He's fine now though and at 6months old and 37.5lbs : )

Anyway, just pick a puppy food that doesn't have corn and "by products" in it. Make sure the first couple ingredients are MEAT lol and you will be fine!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts