Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first basset hound puppy he is 7 weeks old. My big question is, how much dry food to feed him and how many times a day.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Depends on what you're feeding him. Look on the bag as a guide and adjust to your dog. Often the manufacturer recommends more than is needed, so adjust to your dog's needs. I break it up over 3 meals per day at that age.

And congratulations on being owned by a Basset! Tell us all about him. And we LOVE pictures!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
The breeder didn't give you instructions?

Four times a day right now. At about 12 weeks you can switch to three times and at six months you can cut it to twice a day. If she's too skinny, offer her more, if she's getting fat give her less.

The amount depends on the food and on the dog. Some foods are very nutrient dense, you don't need to give as much.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Often the manufacturer recommends more than is needed, so adjust to your dog's needs.
Often the manufacturer recommends more than is needed, so adjust to your dog's needs.
most people don't have a clue on properly acessesing a dog weight. see
Dog Diet Do's and Don’t's
According to Dr. Tony Buffington, Professor of Clinical Nutrition, Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, your puppy can be fed a regimen of specific caloric intake compared to his body condition score (BCS), using a simple one to five scale, from overly thin to obese. Using manufacturer feeding recommendations as an initial starting point, feed your puppy to a score of two and maintain this weight until he's fully grown. Feed whatever amount is necessary to maintain a BCS of two during the growth period, realizing that dogs have varying growth rates and activity levels. Once his adult stature is achieved, you may allow him to reach a score of three.

2 = Thin - Ribs easily palpated and may be visible with no palpable fat. Tops of lumbar vertebrae visible. Pelvic bones less prominent. Obvious waist and abdominal tuck.​
3 = Moderate - Ribs palpable without excess fat covering. Abdomen tucked up when viewed from side.
You want to keep a pup on the slender side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts