Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up Higgins, an 8 week old Basset yesterday. He did great on the car ride home (2hrs). We are crating him and he whined for about 15 minutes when we went to bed but he did sleep for about 7hrs.

The issue we are having now is that he is whining every time we put him in his crate. He can see us from where the crate is but he seems so stressed out being in his crate.

I got into the crate with him and that seemed to calm him down and he went to sleep... sort of stressed out about the whining.... any suggestions?

Also, he wants to eat the wee wee pads :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
We have two Bassets from rescue but other than that I have not had s dog for thirty odd years. I don't have any answers, but what is reasoning behind crating a pup, and is it necessary? This is purely for asking why. :)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
This has always worked for me:

At night I've always slept with a young pup in a small crate with comfy bedding by my side of the bed. When the puppy has to pee he will fuss because he won't want to soil his bed, I get up, take him outside to his potty place, tell him to tinkle or whatever word you're using, praise, then carry him back upstairs to his crate. With young pups you'll probably do this more than once each nite.

This method teaches the puppy that when he fusses you will take him out to go to the bathroom.

When we are home the puppy is with us, not crated, and on a strict potty schedule- every hour or so. When active, young pups have to go more frequently.

If we aren't there, I set up a puppy proof area with a gate, papers on the floor for him to pee, and his crate with the door open with soft bedding and a toy like a stuffed kong which will keep him busy for hours. The kong, stuffed with dog treats, is given ONLY when he's left by himself so that it gives him something to look forward to when you leave.

This method has worked for me for many pups over the years. By doing this, the crate becomes a friendly comfortable place, not a lonely place where he pees. Also, by giving the stuffed kong only when he's left alone, it gives him something to look forward to when you're gone.

Good luck with your new pup and let us know how it's going.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Also, he wants to eat the wee wee pads
If you want the dog to be paper trained wee pads are fine but if eventual you want a "house trained" dg then using an intemediary step like paper training is only going to serve to confuse the dog, best to train the behavior you want from the beginning.

We are crating him and he whined for about 15 minutes when we went to bed
if the problem is at night see Creating a night time ritual

if it is more a generalized behavior or creating tolerance on the crate then the following should help
Crate Training

Crate Training

I don't have any answers, but what is reasoning behind crating a pup, and is it necessary?
A crate is a training tool and a safety device, as such us use is not necessary it is optional.

For those of that show dog it is a boadering on necessary as a mean of creating a secure place for the dog in random and unique setting. It is also a sfety device while traving as a dog in a secured crate is much safer than a loose one in an acident and even more so after one in which the dog is more likely to be aggitated an fright near a busy road, recipe for disaster.

It can be a powerful training tool. One trainer has developed basic foundation skill around the crate Crate Games for Self-Control & Motivation

A Crate can be a useful management tool in house training and preventing destructive behavior.

At the same time a crate as any tool can be abused. It can be used for too long creating social issolation which can do serious damage to a dog. There are also some myth about the crate which can hinder house training as well. The biggest being a puppy will not soil a crate. There is not a puppy on the planet that can hold it indefinately at some point it has to go, Once this happens the crate start to lose its value as a house training tool. Also pet store puppy and other raise in cage confinement have deficated in the crate on numerous occasions to the point that for some it becomes the actual preferred place to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts