Basset Hounds Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
We 'finished'/made up (depending on where in the world you are LOL) those of our hounds who had mis-matched eye RIM colour too!

Nice stacked photo although for me there need not be any slope from withers to croup so I'd not be stacking with the back legs quite so far back? Promising!

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
"for me there need not be any slope from withers to croup"

speaking from AKC breed standards top line is suppose to be straight and level so no slope

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you! I had another experienced basset breeder say the same thing about his back legs being too far extended in this stacked picture.
It’s tempting to show him but my 13 yo son plays soccer on weekends and that is our priority during this season of our lives. But I have decided that after we finish some basic obedience training classes, that I am going to consider AKC Scent Work. Our local kennel club does the training and the competitions are held there also, so that would be very doable for us. I really love the idea of this for his breed and I think he would enjoy it and we can still bond together and have fun competing on another level.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
It’s tempting to show him but my 13 yo son plays soccer on weekends and that is our priority during this season of our lives.
You could be involved in both, if you use a professional handler, but that would probably mean he goes away to be campaigned! You might see whether his breeder would be interested in either showing him, or having her handler (if she uses one) take him? If you are not into showing his breeder would be the person to talk to about whether, if you went to showing him, she felt he was worth showing - it's expensive these days, and you do need to develop a thick skin for when you 'come out with the rubbish', remembering you always bring the best dog home with you. LOL

I'd agree that anything that means working with him, would increase the bonding and as long as you are sensible about whatever you do, be fun!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts