Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm a proud new owner of a beautiful basset hound and am glad to have found this site. I've always had Great Dane's in the past so this is a new venture for me and my wife. Atticus is 10 weeks old now and he spent his first night with us last night. Needless to say it was a rough night as all the puppies in his litter were released yesterday :(. Atticus cried all night long. Poor buddy is still crying, I can't get him to stop. Seems the only thing that will do is holding him on my shoulder. We are kennel training him and made it through last night but hoping to get encouragement from others that this will stop with enough persistence and patience. I'm trying to limit his area to part of the downstairs and gradually let him expand. He spent the first 10 weeks in a barn so he literally pops a squat whenever and where-ever, picked up a puppy pad to help when I cant get him outside. Please tell me I'm heading down the right path with this...... O.k. now that I got that off my chest I feel better. Any encouragement or helpful ideas are welcome!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Molly cried for 2 days after we brought her home. She was looking for her mom, dad, and sisters. It's normal, as their world has been upended. It will get better as he adjusts. Nonetheless, it's heartbreaking to hear them cry. Just keep him company and cuddle him, play with him. As far as crating him, I didn't crate Molly so others will have more advice on that. Bassets are very social and like to be near you. During the adjustment, I guess keep him where he can see you when he's crated.

Be strong, he'll stop crying soon! And congratulations on your new addition. We'd love to see pictures :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
atticus! love it!

I was almost named Harper Lee...

hug hug hug him.
but be careful... us bassets iz MAN-IP-Uh-Luh-TIVE

as I said before... BWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

·
Registered
761 Posts
We've crate trained both of ours so I can commiserate with you about the crying. The biggest help to getting Virga to calm down in her kennel was to move Doppler's into the same room with her so she could see, smell, and hear him. I think it made her not feel so alone.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, don't let Atticus (great name btw) out while he's crying. He'll quiet down eventually. But if you let him out while he's crying, he'll eventually figure out that crying gets him released and you'll have an even harder time getting him to adjust to the crate.

But if you don't have another dog, then what I've seen others suggest is to put the pup's kennel in the bedroom with you. So he can see, smell, and hear you throughout the night. Also, this will help you know when he has to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Which he will!

But you're definitely on the right track so don't worry about that. Good luck with Atticus! He'll settle down eventually.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome to you and to Atticus (love the name)

Love him, hug him, groom him, feed him, potty him, exercise and play with him, then love and hug him some more and then when you are exhausted put him in the crate and help yourself to a pair of ear plugs and get some rest! (crate close to you at night is a good idea). My children messed up the crate training, their consequence, a basset in their bed, then they left home, and she moved to my bed!

During awake time, we pottied every 20-30 min. EVERYONE in the house took a turn, with five people participating it wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Best of luck with your new puppy. As people have said, Bassets are very sociable and like to be near us. We were lucky not to have any whining or crying at all because we got two litter sisters who just snuggled up with each other from day one so I do feel sorry for a lone puppy who has spent 8 or 9 weeks with mum and siblings and then is removed from his playmates. I hope all will go well and you enjoy lots of lovely Basset cuddles and fun! xx

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
when it comes to crates there is the nistaken belief that dog natural assume them as a den and are happy to be their. It may happen but it is a rare exception. Taking the time to introduce the crate gradually and making it a fun place to be before you use as a containment device can save a lot of split ear drums an greif later on.

crate training

crate training

Creating a Nighttime Ritual

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Also keep in mind you already no the solution to the problem as you spelled it out in your post
I can't get him to stop. Seems the only thing that will do is holding him on my shoulder
If you had a crying baby and holding him on your shoulder stoped the crying what would you do? While there are still advocated of let them cry themselves to sleep in bavies and young childeren the are becomeing less and less because the procedure often is not helpful. What does work is corforting the child or puppy when they need it. Fairly quickly over time when they find the can easily get their need for attention met they become less need. Ignoring the dog does not change that dyinamic.

see Harmony Program
The Cure For Attention Seeking Behaviour Disorders

It is so simple – following the “crying baby” model for filling the need as soon as it arises, ASBDs can be entirely avoided as well as cured by giving focussed attention immediately and as soon as the request has been received.

This does not mean one has to put one’s entire life on hold or “run rings around the creature” – it is literally a simple little flash of attention at the right time and when first asked for it; the classic “a stitch in time saves nine” principle.

Rather than “rewarding” attention seeking behaviour, it never gets to escalate, the creature’s energy system remains balanced and the disturbed behaviours never need take place at all.

As the babies who are fed when they are hungry cry markedly less or not at all, creatures who receive attention energy (or love or recognition energy) when they ask for it, their attention seeking behaviours become markedly less frequent, markedly less dramatic and may cease altogether once the system has been in operation for a while and the creature has understood that not only can it get what it needs just the for the asking, but also it’s energy system has become more robust, more healthy, more resilient and won’t collapse when there is a time when attention is in short supply.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You may also try sleeping in an old shirt for a couple night so it smells like you and then put that in the crate with Atticus. It will give him some comfort and may help calm him. When rosco was little I bought a puppy shaped dog toy that was roughly his size so it seemed (to him) there was another dog with him in his bed to snuggle with. Hang in there! Things will get easier it just takes time.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
We've crate trained both of ours so I can commiserate with you about the crying. The biggest help to getting Virga to calm down in her kennel was to move Doppler's into the same room with her so she could see, smell, and hear him. I think it made her not feel so alone.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, don't let Atticus (great name btw) out while he's crying. He'll quiet down eventually. But if you let him out while he's crying, he'll eventually figure out that crying gets him released and you'll have an even harder time getting him to adjust to the crate.

But if you don't have another dog, then what I've seen others suggest is to put the pup's kennel in the bedroom with you. So he can see, smell, and hear you throughout the night. Also, this will help you know when he has to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Which he will!

But you're definitely on the right track so don't worry about that. Good luck with Atticus! He'll settle down eventually.

Definitely agree with all of that-- was true for us and Worm. Worm also came from a place where he was with 15-16 bassets and littermates, so quite a shock when he came home to just people : ( He cried and cried on the way home (and being naive about how to take him home, he ran all over the car, so I drove fast to get him home. It worked except that I got my first speeding ticket : ( )

the next day, he went to the car and looked like he wanted to get back in it, so he could go home to his buddies.. :confused: so confused.

And although he didn't cry that much at home, just for about 10-15 min every time we first put him in the crate, he looked so sad the first month. Not sure if we were just misinterpreting that sad basset face, but it looked even sadder than normal. but now, it's all good and he has settled in comfortably. I do agree w/Mikey that I'm not sure my dog, for example, prefers to be in his crate. He has learned to tolerate it quite well. but given the choice of being in the crate or with us, he picks being with us most of the time. i think Atticus will get used to it with time. He is sounding pretty normal so far.

Oh, I would give you a heads up about the puppy pads. not sure what you want to do for potty, but we exclusively have him go outside (we are in an apartment building). my dog growing up (another type of hound dog) was newspaper trained in the kitchen. but then when we went around with the black light, it turns out he'd peed all over the house in every room. i don't think we caught over half of them. reading about toilet training now, some caution against using newspaper and puppy pads inside, because it can get confusing for the pup to only be allowed to pee in PART of the house, but not other parts. I think it did confuse my last dog. And for my basset now, he knows he is not to go ANYWHERE in our home, and he's been good about that.... anyway, just another thought to share.

Congrats on Atticus, and let us know how it goes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts