Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued a basset from the pound. They said he was about 3 months old, but I think he might be a bit older than that.

Took him to the vet on the way home and they said he looked like he was in good health (a bit underweight, the ribs are noticeable if you look and can easily be felt). I would guess he needs about 4 or 5 more lbs to be about normal.

Currently he weighs 21.6 lbs, assuming that should be about 25-28 lbs, what would be an age for a puppy at that weight? We are trying to figure out how old (as close to it as we can).

He's been home for 24 hours, only one accident (and that was my fault), slept in the bed last night and was perfect.

The cat is NOT at all happy about the new visitor but they will become friends I'm sure later.

The rabbits (we have 4, 2 pair) have sensed a new member in the house but have not met (and won't for a while). They are in different ends of the house, which makes going from the living room to the bedroom fun (it's like a sporting event getting over all of the different baby gates)....

I've never seen a breed that always wants soooooooooo much attention (not that I mind it at all), but boy does he always want to be at my feet. If I go to the bathroom he wants to go to watch or something.

(I wrote that on saturday morning but couldn't post it till i got approved)....here's an update with more info.....

I have some pictures if that will help (although they are all of him laying down)...

http://picasaweb.google.com/mpacker99/20080118

He spent his first day at home today while I was at work (I came home at lunch to walk him) and I was very pleasantly surprised that he had made no messes (okay well he tore up one of the mats that was meant for him to sleep on... but he was VERY excited and full of energy when I came home....took him 30 minutes just to settle down.

I just measured from the middle of his neck to the start of his tail is 20", his front legs are 6" long (it's hard to measure when he keeps chewing on the tape measure).

I've had many different dogs from Whippet, St. Bendard, Pom, a couple mixed, and dachsund. So I'm not new to dogs by any stretch, nor am I an expert. I've never been around hounds of any kind except to see one at a friends house. So it's definitely a learning experience.

So if anyone has any ideas on his approximate age (or if there is some other info that might help) I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm also curious as to what age for the basset it is to get neutered.

thanks...

·
Registered
782 Posts
It's hard to gauge exactly where a basset's weight should weigh as it can depend on bone size and things like that. Your vet's advice can keep you where you want to be with him. Welcome to our weird and crazy world, your little guy is adorable but what's his name??? :p

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
We rescued a basset from the pound.

I've never seen a breed that always wants soooooooooo much attention (not that I mind it at all), but boy does he always want to be at my feet. If I go to the bathroom he wants to go to watch or something.

I'm also curious as to what age for the basset it is to get neutered.

thanks...[/b]
He might be clingy right now because of all the changes he's been through- as far as neutering, I think I had Murray neutered at 5 months, but your vet can probably reccommend the best time-

He's a cutie- I can't wait to see more pictures!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Welcome! Your puppy is adorable! I had Yogi neutered at 5 1/2 months of age. I think the younger they are the quicker they recover. Hope to see more pictures of your puppy as he grows up!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Weight can vary, depending on the bone, structure, etc. Your pup does look young.

I suspect you won't see the 'real' dog for some time. I'd give it him a couple of weeks to start settling in, but it will probably take a lot longer than that.

And remember -- bassets are bred to hunt rabbits!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weight can vary, depending on the bone, structure, etc. Your pup does look young.

I suspect you won't see the 'real' dog for some time. I'd give it him a couple of weeks to start settling in, but it will probably take a lot longer than that.[/b]
NO.....i don't want him to change......i like him just the way he is...i don't want him to settle in ... :) I have never looked so forward to coming home (okay that sounds kind of strange)... but we my wife and I come up it perks both of us up even if we have had a bad day...we both get on the floor and roll around with him like we were 10... i hope he doesn't change too much...

And remember -- bassets are bred to hunt rabbits![/b]
yes....so far he hasn't met the bunnies....and we aren't sure he is going to for a while...right now he's forbidden (by multiple baby gates, as we have found one isn't enough) from getting to certain sections of the house (the rooms with bunnies in them)..... :)

i would not have guess i could have been this happy with him so quickly..he ranks right up there with the whippet i had for most amusing and eager to please!

more pictures will come this weekend ....

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
As for age your vet should be the best help. basset vary greatly in size so that is not an acurate measure. With pups in this age range the teeth are a better indication, all puppy teeth, some puppy teeth some adult, all adult teeth.

As for the weight keep in mind a little under weight is better than a little over for what you descibe I would not even be sure he is underweight at all

see Corpulent Canines?

As for the age to nueter typical six months but it can be done safely and effectively at 6-8 weeks. Consult with the vet there are pros and cons to what age you nueter or nueter at all that can be effected by the general health and condition of the individual dog.

I've had many different dogs from Whippet, St. Bendard, Pom, a couple mixed, and dachsund. So I'm not new to dogs by any stretch, nor am I an expert. I've never been around hounds of any kind except to see one at a friends house. So it's definitely a learning experience.[/b]
:lol: Good to here form some one who had them agrees with me, dachsunds are hounds but really terriers :blink:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Welcome! Bassets are addicitve... and a bit different! We had golden retrievers for many years and after the last one passed away, I decided I wanted a "lap dog." We dithered between beagles and bassets... and finally a basset stole our hearts. We now have 3 bassets.... and they are lap dogs... but rahter large ones :lol: They are the best and we have so much enjoyment from them... well except for the dead bird in the middle of the night last night...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I HAVE A 7 MONTH OLD AND SHE WEIGHS ABOUT 25 LBS. JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY, IS A PUREBREED BASSET? I'VE NEVER SEEN ONE THAT DID'NT HAVE WHITE ON HIM, HE IS A CUTIE THOUGH.
ASHLEY

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I HAVE A 7 MONTH OLD AND SHE WEIGHS ABOUT 25 LBS. JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY, IS A PUREBREED BASSET? I'VE NEVER SEEN ONE THAT DID'NT HAVE WHITE ON HIM, HE IS A CUTIE THOUGH.
ASHLEY[/b]
i don't know for sure....the lady that runs the humane society said she was pretty sure (not that it matters at all to me)..he does have some white on his chest...not a lot ....but there is some.

we've not had ANY accidents since day 2.

the cat and puppy are getting along better now, that means she's hissing less.... he so much wants to play with her...

he climbs in her spot in the bed and then when she finally comes to bed she craws on my pillow, hisses at him and he moves to his "new" spot at the foot of the bed resting his head on my feet.

for some reason he knows he's not supposed to get "up" until I do, he just ignores my wife getting up and continues to sleep (when she and the cat get up, he takes the cats spot on my pillow).

tomorrow will be one week... will get more pictures this weekend, we are taking him out and about with us on saturday.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
ASHLEY[/b]
They do exist remember the breed standard call for any hound colors markings are unimportant. What I do find hillarious though is the claim that certain scent hound breed were purpose bred for a white flag on the tail, A little investication in coat color and how coat color cells migrate reveal that if white is to occur it is most likely at the extermities the tip of the tail, end of the muzzle, feet, and chest. It has nothing to do with breeding for the trait which happens to occur naturally.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome!
Just a note about the bunnies. My two (especially Midge) LOVE to chase the bunnies! We did bunny-sit a friend's pet bunny for a month. The bunny had a large cage and was used to excercising out in the house. Honestly my two girls couldn't have been bothered with it. They were curious, sniffed the cage, but pretty much ignored it while it was here. I guess domestic bunnies aren't nearly as interesting (and scent interesting) as wild ones.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Very welcome to the board!

As others has been saying, full grown bassets vary from 40 - 80 lbs,
so it's impossible to tell. His fur, lack of white and the length of his
ears reminds me a bit of a dachshund - maybe he's a mix. But he
looks very cute anyway! :p

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.no</span>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a question and I'm figuring this is the best place to get good advice...

Our new puppy is always wanting more food.....i've never really had dogs that you couldn't just leave them food out and let them get it when they want it. But I know it's very important to watch his weight... he's eating dry puppy food.

How much should I be giving him per day? I'm feeding him now in the morning, at lunch (i come home to feed him) and then in the evening...he sucks down the food in seconds.

I can feel the ribs when I rub my hand over his sides (about half way down his back) but it's not like they are sticking out.

I just don't want to over feed him but I want to make sure he's getting enough.

I was feeding him a 10oz 'solo' cup full of food per day...but now i've bumped it up to about 1.5 -2 cups per day....

please advise....

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
How much should I be giving him per day? I'm feeding him now in the morning, at lunch (i come home to feed him) and then in the evening...he sucks down the food in seconds.

I can feel the ribs when I rub my hand over his sides (about half way down his back) but it's not like they are sticking out.

I just don't want to over feed him but I want to make sure he's getting enough.

I was feeding him a 10oz 'solo' cup full of food per day...but now i've bumped it up to about 1.5 -2 cups per day....

please advise....[/b]
Younger pup I feed tree times a day. When they start skipping eating a meal I will then switch to twice a day, I don't feed once day to minimize the risk of bloat. I never had a scent hound that would not be over weight if allowed to free feed. This is not the case with other breeds. Keep in mind most scent hounds are not sated until the stomach is so large their feet can no longer touch the ground. A little gem passed down to me from an old school vet on scent hound in general that has a kernal of truth to it. The reason that they are diligent hunters is they are always hungry. It is very concievable that "hunting drive" is tied in some way gentically with never being sated or put another way always hungery.

Sound like the dog close to ideal wait. Not sure you can read the writing on the graphic I posted above but it is a guide for what the ribs should feel like. make a fist as in the diagram. If the rib feel like the back of your hand (pict 1) the dog is over weight, (notice you can still feel the ribs just not easily) next rub the knuckes if the ribs feel like this the dog is underweight [pict 2), finally the ribs should feel that same as when you rub over the fingers

here are some other links and method of assessing body weight

Purina Body Condition Chart Kep in mind the Ideal is no longer a 5 but between 4-5

Corpulent Canines
Dogs vary in height, bone structure, and muscularity, so there is no one correct weight for a dog of any given breed. The best way to determine whether a dog is overweight is to test 3 different parts of the body: the neck, the ribs, and the hips.

To check the neck, press your thumb and index finger deep into the side of the neck just ahead of the shoulder, and pinch them together. If your fingers are more than 1/2" apart, the dog is overweight. (Note: this is where old dogs tend to carry most of their excess fat, and they may actually be thin in other locations.)

To check the ribs, stand with your dog beside you, facing his butt. Place your thumb on the middle of his spine half way down the back and spread your fingers out over his last few ribs. Then run your fingers up and down along his skin. You should be able to feel the bumps of his ribs without pressing in.

To check the hips, run your hand over your dog's croup. You should be able to feel the bumps of his two pelvic bones without pressing down.

Some of you may be reading this and thinking, "I would never want my dog to be that skinny!" Think about the Olympic athletes. If you want your dog to be an athlete then it is only fair that you do what you can to help him achieve the body that he will need to perform and stay healthy and injury free for many years.[/url]

It is far heather to be a bit underweight than overweight. That said most owner underestimate the overweightness of their dogs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts