Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Basset lovers !

We picked up our first Basset 3 weeks ago, named Wilson. He's now 14 weeks old and is adored by all of us. I've been checking this website for the past 3 weeks picking up some great tips, and just wanted to say thankyou to everybody for the help you provide others. But, finally we've gotten round to making a post ourselves and sharing a few things about Wilson.

About 6 months ago we were on the lookout for a Basset but couldnt seem to find any in the vicinity so after exhausting our searches we got ourselves a lovely little Beagle. It was only after keeping an eye out for Basset Pups we finally came across Wilson a few weeks ago and jumped at the chance to add him to our family. Its strange, as the breed seems to be very rare up in this neck of the woods in England, even the vet said its been a very long time since they had seen a Baby Basset.

Everyday is a barrel of laughs with him around, he is such a character. Wilson and our Beagle who is still a Pup herself keep eachother well entertained. In fact i'd go as far as saying Millie (The Beagle) gets a little fed up with being pesterday frequently and gets up on the couch out the way. We're just wondering how long its going to take Wilson to work out how he can get up there too.
He was in need of both his vaccinations when we got him so its taken untill these last few days till we could get him out for a few short walks. Its taken some persuading as he wasnt too keen at first. But now he's getting the hang of it he is loving it. Although when it comes to maybe a 2nd walk in the day he's less keen, prefering usually to try and sneak back off to a cosy bed to sleep. When out on walks he's so interested in what his nose is up to he constantly stands on his ears and trips himself up, its very amusing to watch. Is this a common thing, or is it a skill he will learn as he gets a bit older and bigger?

Anyway, i'll stop waffling on. Just wanted to say Hello and let you know what a little angel (Or maybe a little devil) we have gotten into our family now. He's slowly getting housebroken and sleeps the whole night with our older dog, an English Springer Spaniel, beside our bed. I do think having two other dogs has helped Wilson to settle in great and up to now we're not had any of the problems others seem to have. :)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
He's darling... Great little hound profile!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Wilson looks gorgeous and if you're a first time Basset owner, you'll find lots of tips and advice on here from us lifelong Basset owners! You'll need lots of patience as hounds are different to 'dogs' and have a stubborn streak but are full of character!

A Springer will be so obedient, as Spaniels are so easy to train compared to Bassets!!!!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Congratulations! Wilson is a handsome young man.

Keep hanging around here; I'm a first-time basset owner (Boomer, 6 mos), and I've learned a LOT from the folks in this forum.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Oh my goodness he's so squishy! Love the pic! Welcome. Bassets are kinda like Pringles...can't have just one! Beware you may now be a lifelong Basset owner! =)

~Heather

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
A Springer will be so obedient, as Spaniels are so easy to train compared to Bassets!!!!
obvious from some one that never had a springer from U.S.A. show lines. I much prefer to train a basset and would have better success at it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
obvious from some one that never had a springer from U.S.A. show lines. I much prefer to train a basset and would have better success at it.
My sister has three impeccably behaved Springers (English liver and white) who walk off the lead almost all the time! The only well behaved dog in our house is our 13-year old Cocker Spaniel who has never put a foot wrong and he could stay in the house all day and would never pee.... but one of my Bassets would... the other wouldn't as she never fails to ask to go out or will stand looking at us and looking at the door!

·
Registered
79 Posts
He's absolutely adorable! :) Flash used to trip on his ears all the time when he was a pup. Wilson will grow into his ears before you know it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am going to say to you, what I say to every new basset owner. They may give you the impression that they are dumb!!!!! Don't you believe it!!!

They couldn't care less about pleasing you. But when it comes to something that they want, then they are the most crafty little creatures on this earth.

My big guy is nine now and is still a comedian. Saying that, he is the most loving dog I have ever had.

Love your picture. He looks a right little character.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thankyou for all the lovely replies.

And I have to agree already, he is a crafty little devil ! He spent the first 3 weeks playing with our Beagle, but... He's finally worked out how to get on the Couch and he's turned into an overnight Couch Potatoe ! Although he is soon to be banned from it as he is insistant on scratching his claws across it and clicking it. haha.

On the words about training, our Spaniel has been anything but easy to train, I guess every dog is different. The Beagle is the best behaved dog we've had. Took a little to housebreak her but now she is good as gold. Only thing is she is grumpy and lazy (Goes to bed with the children well before we do !) and you can see she isnt too impressed with being expected to play with Wilson, (Although he does insist !) and she's still only 8 months old !

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
They couldn't care less about pleasing you. But when it comes to something that they want, then they are the most crafty little creatures on this earth.
Amen! At 15 weeks, I certainly have a sneaky, crafty little one!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I caught Boomer standing on the kitchen table this evening; little stinker was after a roll of Mentos.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts