Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

Got to bring home our new baby this past Friday. His name is Oliver or Ollie. I wanted Beauregard, but my wife and daughter out voted me. He's just about 11 weeks old, and nice and vocal. Heres a pic of him, he's so funny!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
what an adorable little guy and i love the name. good luck....have patience...alot of patience. keep us informed on how he's doing. makes me want to get another one...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Too cute! This place is a lot of fun, you'll love it here.
Good luck with your precious boy!!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Hiya Ollie!

melikes your pic. very cute! melikes your name Ollie, too. umm, i dunno how to pronounse the other one. tho 'beau' is a nice nickname.

i was just playing with a labradoodle named Ollie last night. and i have a bulldog pal named Ali, roughly pronounsed the same. it's a good name for a dog :)

yeah, i do have an answer for everything, and worse yet, melikes to type on the computah lots. so you'll see me here lots.

--welcome again! Worm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guy, we had a welsh corgi by the name of Dragon, but we had to put him down. He developed canine degerative myelopathy and became a "front wheel drive" dog. I made a cart for him but he didn't like it at all. He was 13 at the time, and had a good full, fun life. Anyway back to Ollie, is it common for bassets to be so bull headed? Ollie is already "talking" back to me. I scold him for biting my shoes, couch, daughters ponytail, etc. etc. he barks and bays at me. Its so hard not to laugh at him when he does this. I'm sure me and the wife will have millions of more questions for all the experts here.

Thanks again,
Patrick

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Anyway back to Ollie, is it common for bassets to be so bull headed? Ollie is already "talking" back to me. I scold him for biting my shoes, couch, daughters ponytail, etc. etc. he barks and bays at me.
Yeah, pretty much. My sassy boy does that to me all the time. Heck, he was protesting the first time I held him at 4 weeks. Now at 7 mos, he still has a stubborn streak that I don't expect to go away ever. You just have to learn what motivates him to do what you want. I'm still trying to figure it out with Winston.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Anyway back to Ollie, is it common for bassets to be so bull headed? Ollie is already "talking" back to me. I scold him for biting my shoes, couch, daughters ponytail, etc. etc. he barks and bays at me. Its so hard not to laugh at him when he does this.

Thanks again,
Patrick
Very normal. You just have to be stubborn-er than them. I still laugh at Annie when she talks back. These darn dogs are soo much fun :)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yup, Boomer talks back to me, too. We have had some interesting "conversations".

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
I scold him for biting my shoes, couch, daughters ponytail, etc. etc. he barks and bays at me.
Pretty much telling you scolding is not punishment for this dog as is the case for most dogs. Even NO! is not punishment. In behaviorial terms punishment must lower the likelihood of a behavior form recurring. At best telling a Dog No! is a disruptive stimulus ie it stop the dog from doing what it was doing for a momemnt ,. This then gives you the opurtunity to train a more appropriate behavior. Ie dog chewing slipper No! dog stops shove a dog toy in its mouth and prise when he chews on that. The reason this works is not that No! punishes the slipper chewing but simply becasue reinforcing an appropriate behavior increase the occurance of that.

is it common for bassets to be so bull headed?
Never seen a bull headed basset born ever only pighead owners that don't understand them, Traditional training and pack hierarchy dominance model of dog behaviors have created a unwarranted assumpt on the part of dog owners that a dog should have biddability a willingness to please. It is true of many so called easy to train dogs especial those in the sporting group or heard group which were bred to work closely with humans and at their direction. Basset were not bred for this they were bred to work independant of human input so the could care less about pleasing us. If you want a basset to do what you want him to do you got to make it worh his while. Just like your boss at work there would be a lot of things you would not do if it were not for the pay check. With bassets there needs to be a paycheck or at least the expectation of one

Hard to Train
A look at "difficult-to-train" breeds and the reality of what shapes these canine minds

just an examble what the bull head breed is capable of when properly motivated

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
You just have to learn what motivates him to do what you want[/url]

list of reinforcer

also keep in mind that reward need not be things but can be activities as well. using one behavior to reinforce another is the premack principal a behavior that is more likely to occur can be used to reinforce a less likely behavior. One of the best examples of this is how I work at trining a dog to wait at door ways when going out side. Have the dog sit while on leash. Slowly open the door as soon as the dog moves close the door. Soon the dog learns it must stay seated until you release him inorder to go outside. So the act of going outside is reinforcing the sitting and waiting.

The Power of Social Interactions as Rewards

For most basset food is by far and away the most powereful reinforce this of course is not true of all of them just the vast majority. Many people have problems using food as a reward properly. The first is the dog becaomes distracted by the mere pr3esence of food which is understandable. But it is easily trained through with the additional benefit of teaching the dog impulse control in other situations as well that is why you will see tons of my posts with this video the following game is easy to do. but the rewards from practicing it are emense

the next thing I recommend owner looking for an easy simple training to get the dog to comply with what they want other than Body blocking
is to teach the dog to Hand target

Shaping your Target cue

teach your dog to hand target

·
Registered
761 Posts
Welcome to you and Ollie! He's a good looking fella! As for the talking back, yes. Very common. Bassets are very stubborn and you just have to be more stubborn than they are! Good luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello and welcome. Bassets are pretty stubborn, but patience and finding what motivates your particular hound is all part of training. My old guy would walk through hot coal for cheese, and so it was with this I trained him as a young dog and he learned pretty fast.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts