Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about getting a basset hound after babysitting a friends puppy. How can I decide whether it will be a good match with my personality and lifestyle? I really would hate to get one, And then puppy not to be happy or get what it needs from me every day...I live alone, have no kids & walk and hike outside a lot. I do some traveling every month...Anybody with suggestions I appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If you 'do some travelling every month', is now the right time to be taking on a puppy - or even a slightly older one..... or would the Basset be travelling with you? I think my best advice would be to find a reputable/experienced Basset breeder and by appointment, if you can with how things are at the moment (Covid 19), go visit and ask all the question you will have. And be warned, in the UK at any rate, many good breeders have curtailed their breeding plans through the virus situation - and those who are still breeding, are BYBs cashing in on a situation and charging horrendous prices. Again in the UK.

On the other hand, Bassets are THE best - but not for everybody!!

·
Registered
13,013 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
If possible, I’d recommend that you find a basset rescue and foster first. They are love bugs but they’re characters and they aren’t for everyone. If you want a dog to hike with you, your basset would probably love to go. I take mine on a 3 mile loop in the state park nearly every day. However, they want stop and smell EVERYTHING, so if you don’t want to stop every few feet, I’d recommend another breed. If I want to hike longer than 3 miles I usually leave him home - not because he can’t go longer but because it takes forever. All the bassets I’ve had have been great travelers so if you are driving and can take your dog with you on your regular trips that might work or maybe you can find a very good dog sitter. They get really attached to their people. I can’t sit down without him wanting to sit on my lap. In fact all 60 lbs of him is on my lap as I type this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts