Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
my name is HelenB and my joy is Miss Lady, she is 2 years and one very spoiled girl,
I adopted Lady August 2005, Lady my first Basset and believe me I'm learning everyday she alway's coming up with something new on me.
I'll post her photo later after I learn my way round little better, but I do have a question hope you may be able help, Lady has an odor ever now & then sometimes it's stronger then others I asked her Vet. she only told me that Basset has an odor. when this happens Lady will try & clean her self and whine. I don't know what to do fore her if there are anything I can do.
Lady my sweetheat she so loving and she loves those belly rubs.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
, Lady has an odor ever now & then sometimes it's stronger then others I asked her Vet. she only told me that Basset has an odor. when this happens Lady will try & clean her self and whine.[/b]

Given your description I would guess you need to check her anal glands.

MORE THAN YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ANAL SACS

"Domestic animals have largely lost their ability to empty these sacs voluntarily. Walking around and normal defecation serves to empty the glands but some animals become unable to empty their glands on their own at all. The sacs become impacted and uncomfortable. Dogs with impacted anal sacs usually scoot their rear on the ground in an attempt to empty the glands. Some dogs will lick their anal area and other dogs will chase their tails. Cats often lick the fur off just under their tails.

"Anal Sac Disease - Scooting"

"The secretion that comes from these glands is brown in color and about the consistency of water or oil. The secretion has a very disagreeable odor to humans.
...Anal sac problems are extremely common and can cause tremendous pain for your pet. Early treatment can save lots of money for and spare your pet of much discomfort."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You MikeyT, I did not know this I'll check Lady and see what i can do for her,
times she will be cross my lap and the odor starts she will jump down and start the licking and jump round after her tail and whimper, Bless her Heart.
Love the photo of your baby
again Thank You

1 - 3 of 3 Posts