Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1 year old basset named sherman.
He is so sweet and loving and a little bit crazy.
I recently got a call from his daycare provider they said that he seems to
have some resource aggression.
I'm not exactly sure what that means and how to address it so he can go back.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
He does not share some items. Resource guarding is normal adaptive dog behavior. but it can lead to fights. Most daycare facilities especial cage free ones do not have the necessary personal to deal with normal dog behavior. Nor do the provide a place for dogs to escape the horde of other dogs if they so choose. Most day cares do more harm than good for the average dog.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
i have a 1 year old basset named sherman.
He is so sweet and loving and a little bit crazy.
I recently got a call from his daycare provider they said that he seems to
have some resource aggression.
I'm not exactly sure what that means and how to address it so he can go back.
This can be quite 'normal' for a Basset, or other pack breed. When within a pack, hounds will tend to defend what they see as 'theirs' and needing to be defended. And that includes places as well as things. You may not be able to stop this but the daycare place should be able to make sure such animals are not in a situation where they feel they have to defend (ie resource guard). I suggest you may have to find another daycare provider where this kind of behaviour can't happen. Your boy may be feeling insecure, having to go from his home into daycare although this usually works better than having to leave a Basset at home alone.

When Day Care is Bad for Your Dog – Dog's Day Out

Briefly reading the relevant points in this article, I'd suggest it's useful!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts