Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is Luis and my wife and I just bought a basset pup this weekend. Her name is Havana and she's a lemon colored basset and is six weeks old. We are waiting on pins and needles to take her home in a couple weeks. On a side note, we don't have any grass in our backyard, just concrete. I would like to build her a litter box and train her to do her business in the box. Have any of you experimented with a litter box? Do you think I could train her to use the box as long as I clean it every day?

·
Registered
27 Posts
You may want to clean it after every poo. I don't know if anyone told you yet, but bassets are famous for eating their..... well you know. It's really gross. We have to pick up after baroo every time she goes or she will eat it and then she smells :blink:

·
Registered
775 Posts
My Dad recently got a Toy Poodle last year. He & his Fiance decided to litter train this dog. They thought it would be easy because of her same size. Total weight 5 pounds. They are both retired but love to go out shopping, movies, etc. They also live in NJ and thought when the cold, snowy weather comes they and they dog wouldn't have to deal with all that. What a great idea. Wrong! The dog was 10 months and still not a bit housebroken. She just refused to go in that litter pan unless they physically picked her up and put her in there. One day, they decided to take her outside to the grass. That's what she wanted the entire time. To SMELL the grass and different scents. I think dogs go by smell and I don't know about litter training. I think it's possible if you have the right materials but not for a Basset Hound :blink: :blink: I can imagine the smell and mess if she walks in it. Maybe someone with first hand experience can offer some advice. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have a friend who's mother's dog goes on puppy pee pads in the basement. I don't know how they trained her to do that. But my question is, if you wanted a cat, why didn't you just get a cat? Sorry to be cranky to a new member, but Bassets are hard enough to housetrain as it is. I think you're asking for a lot of trouble. Your dog will go nuts unless exercised A LOT, and that means outside.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome! When I got Baxter I bought him a dog litter box at PetSmart. I would line it with puppy pads, but he would eat the pads! Then I put the puppy pads in the box, put newspapers on top, and that seemed to work - for a while. He did learn to go in the box though. We had his enclosed crate (except for the front) in a flexible gate that we closed with bungie cords and his litter box was in this area. As he grew, (got him at 3 months and he's now just about 8 months) he began to go on the floor around the box and he would lay down in the box and rest! So, we removed the box and now we put down puppy pads and newspapers and he goes on that. The reason for all this is that there is noone home in the day to take him out. Our other 2 Labs are a lot older and able to hold it all day, but not a puppy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome to the board Luis!

Congradulations on your new addition! I can't wait to see pictures!

Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the idea is to build the dog a "litter box" outside as an alternative to having the dog do it's business on the concrete slab.....

I don't see anything wrong with that. I have heard of many people who train their dogs to go in a designated spot in the yard and i don't see how this would be any different. In fact i think its a very good idea.

If in fact you are refering to an indoor litter box then i would have to say i don't think that's the best idea.... basset's just arent small dogs. i think you would have a difficult time with it.

"if you wanted a cat, why didn't you just get a cat? Sorry to be cranky to a new member, but Bassets are hard enough to housetrain as it is. " ____ are rude comments really necessary? He is asking for our advice not our judgement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the board Luis!

Congradulations on your new addition! I can't wait to see pictures!

Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the idea is to build the dog a "litter box" outside as an alternative to having the dog do it's business on the concrete slab.....

I don't see anything wrong with that. I have heard of many people who train their dogs to go in a designated spot in the yard and i don't see how this would be any different. In fact i think its a very good idea.

If in fact you are refering to an indoor litter box then i would have to say i don't think that's the best idea.... basset's just arent small dogs. i think you would have a difficult time with it.
"if you wanted a cat, why didn't you just get a cat? Sorry to be cranky to a new member, but Bassets are hard enough to housetrain as it is. " ____ are rude comments really necessary? He is asking for our advice not our judgement.[/b]
Thanks for the vote of confidence Daisy! I will post pics as soon as I can figure out why I can't load my pics into my online host. I actually decided I'm going with astroturf or synthetic grass, as opposed to a litter box. I can pick up the excrement and wash the turf every day so Havana will have a clean place to do her business in each day.

Once she has all her shots and is big enough to get through the doggie door, she'll have full run of the back patio, as well as a comfortable spot in the garage to hang out in during the day while we're at work. We have a crate for her, so we'll get her crate trained and have a comfortable place for her to hang out in while we're at home.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome. We have a concrete area and grass but the kids aren't allowed in the grass unless supervised. Luther eats rocks! :unsure: Sammy eats poop. :eek: The concrete is great because it's easy to clean. We have a friend who trained her Jack Russell to use one of those grass squares so I would think litter training could be done. Mine are too big - I would need a huge litter box!

Bassets are the best and you are going to love being owned by one.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Welcome! You'll love your doggy door... except when the squirrels are hanging around :lol: ... I can't convince my hounds they don't have to save us from the chattering little creatures... They like to run outside and bark at them... for hours on end :blink: But it's a wonderful help for potty training. Our baby Cuddy (who had older hounds to help guide her) was housebroken by three months- She is now 5 1/2 months and I keep waiting for an accident- but she has held up well.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Welcome to the forum from South Dakota!! You will love being a part of the basset world once you get Havana home. Then your fur child takes over your life and becomes your friend, companion, and will bring joy and laughs to your home daily. Enjoy Havana and the forum loves pictures.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I was going to suggest the artificial turf - my hubby put in a putting green which is now the pooping green - potty place of choice. I know a couple of folks who use astroturf and they do just fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I dont know how the litter box idea would work. Ive had to hid my two litter boxes from Bruno cuz the lil booger LOVESSSSS kitty poo...Bruno is 7mths old and we are stillllll trying to house break him. Its very difficult when youve got an animal with a very definate opinion of what he wants to do. We actually have two spots set up outside for him to go potty. Our upper deck is blocked off for the winter months so he just has to run out the back door and run right back in. And then we have a lead set up off the lower deck so he can actually go down to the grass and play around and do his business. Unfortunatly (I hope you dont end up with this problem) Bruno never liked to go outside. He found a spot on our wooden dining room floor that became his spot to do his business. We have only recently been able to correct this problem. I actually posted about it on dailydrool.com another basset forum which helped immensly. I would check it out and post on there also to get some help with ideas. Both forums are amazing for new basset owners and are willing to help you out with just about anything you ask about....Good luck with your new basset

Tyler and Bruno

1 - 16 of 16 Posts