Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Welcome, Peebs, to you and your two houndies! I'm glad you love your babies, but I am going to step up on my soapbox here. Please don't take offense! But are you sure you want to breed?

First of all, do your dogs have champion pedigrees? If not, why breed them? I believe only dogs who have something to contribute to the Basset breed should be bred. Also, are you prepared for the expense? It is VERY expensive to breed and raise puppies. Bassets often have to have C-section deliveries. Then there are the post-partum vet visits, puppy checkups and shots, the list goes on and on. I know, because my husband and I bred and raised Jack Russell Terriers for years.

Basset rescues are full of beautiful, purebred dogs who have been turned in because people are not prepared for the peculiarities Bassets have. Why add to the list of rescue animals? You never know what might happen to one of your precious puppies on up the road.

I own three dogs, one purebred Basset, Raymond, who is a rescue dog. Why did Raymond go into rescue? Because he had "cherry eye". I have the fabulous big fat Fredder, who came from a humane society. Why was Fred there? Because a lady let her Basset female breed indiscriminately, gave the puppies to whoever would take them, and Fred had been shot for wandering around, trying to find something to eat. And I have a chihuahua mix, who is a whole 'nother story, but was in the humane society because he was a pain in the butt to housebreak.

Please, please, spay and neuter your babies. Bassets take a long time to mature (2 years), and if you let your pups breed, they will be like children having children. I will step down off my soapbox now, but I hope you make the decision to avoid breeding them. Look at some of the rescue websites for Bassets. They will tear your heart...

Hugs from all here,
Cindy

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
That's good to know. I'm a bigmouth where breeding is concerned, because in our area so many animals (not just dogs) are allowed to breed and breed, and the puppies, kittens, etc. are just allowed to go their way, breeding, becoming diseased, and starving. While I know that's not the case with you, that's why I'm such a nut about spay/neuter! Welcome to the forum, and post pics of your sweethearts so we can all see them!
Cindy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.