Basset Hounds Forum banner

New Member Introduction

4K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Sandra & Floyd 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I live in south east Ontario (between Ottawa and Toronto) and share my home with Floyd, an 8 month old Basset we rescued this summer, and 3 Newfoundland Dogs Neptune, Zoë and Marin. We started researching Bassets 2 years ago when we were considering adding a smaller dog to our pack, and found that a Basset would be a good fit for our family. When the opportunity came up to adopt Floyd we jumped at the chance, and are so happy he found his way to us.

We are active in working dogs activities like Water Rescue and Drafting, and are interested in getting into tracking with Floyd and Neptune. We spend a lot of time outdoors and Floyd has proven himself to be excellent at hiking, keeping pace with the Newfs with ease. He's been a great addition to our family, and certainly the sight of a Basset marching along with his family of Newfs makes everyone smile wherever we go.

Look forward to getting to know you all.

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome Sandra and Floyd! I've enjoyed your beautiful photos for quite some time on the Daily Drool - it's great that a new bunch of folks will get to see them. Floyd together with your Newfies is an unbeatable combo! :) :)

#9 ·
Wow! What awesome pictures and a nice doggie family. I have never heard of "Newfs" before. How do they all get along? I am intrigued. They all look so cool together.

~Heather

#13 ·
I have never heard of "Newfs" before. How do they all get along? I am intrigued.[/b]
Newfs are amazing dogs......giant working dogs, similar in size and temperament to Saint Bernards. They were bred to work on the boats off the coast in Newfoundland, to swim to tow the fish nets, to act as lifeguards, then once on shore, to haul carts of fish to the local markets. They are an all purpose working dog, with webbed feet, a nose that fully closes under water and a thick double coat (like a polar bear), that enables them to swim but stay totally dry at the skin. My guys all swim in water with ice floating in it no problem. They are known as the Gentle Giants of the dog world, since they are gentle, kind, patient, loving dogs with a strong desire to please people. They are excellent water rescue dogs, so good in fact it is difficult to swim with them around since they pull you out of the water! Like Basset Hounds they are social, laid back and happy just being with their family. They are excellent search and rescue dogs being able to work in cold climates as well as excelling at cadaver recovery in water. I think it would be great to do tracking with Neptune and Floyd together.

I love the breed, they are such amazing dogs......I will always have a house full of Newfs, and I think a Basset is the perfect dog to fit with them. Their personalities go so well together, both so loving, affectionate and playful.....they are both such social, family loving breeds, they really work well together. A lot of fun!

#15 ·
Wow. :D

I was actually just reading about Newfies the other day because a friend of mine has a Newfoundland-lab mix, and I'd always thought Newfoundlands and Great Pyrennes were the same (yes, I know - d'oh).

And they're just amazing doggies! You're so lucky to have three of them. Dare I ask if you have sheep or ... ?

Floyd looks totally enveloped by his caretakers. These are some wonderful pics. He's a lucky pup to have such nice guardians. :)

#17 ·
Welcome to the forum. What a great group of fur kids, and such a wonderful picture.

#18 ·
Welcome, I haven't posted in a while but had to say great looking dogs. I have never heard of a Basset as being a "smaller" dog. :D Got a great laugh from that since most people look at Oliver and say how big he is :rolleyes: :)
LA and Oliver

#24 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

All of your dogs are gorgeous! How's the temperment of the Newfies to Floyd?[/b]

The Newfs are incredibly gentle and patient with Floyd. He nips at them, climbs on them, barks at them, steals their toys, swings from their jowels, and generally makes a royal pest of himself and they are nothing but gentle with him. On occasion Marin will vocalize at him to calm him down if he is very wound up but other than that, they are almost too tolerant of his naughty puppy behaviour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.