Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am the proud owner, err no I am the proud servant to Daug the bassett hound. Daug is a 2 year old female AKC bassett.

First the name Daug. I had a bassett for 13 yrs, before he passed away. After that I decided no more dogs. 10 years later my sister in-law surprises me on my birthday with a bassett puppy. I couldn't think of a good name, so I just called her Daug. After awhile she started answering to it, so Daug became permanent.

Now a question that has bothered me ever since I owned my first bassett, I have asked Daug and she won't answer it so maybe someone here will. Why do bassetts (or hounds) have the second eye lid? The red/pink covering that comes up from the bottom of the eye, and covers the entire eyeball. It can be somewhat creepy at times....

If the camera and the bassett cooperate tonight (50-50 chance) I will get some pics to post.
Tom

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome! This is a wonderful place full of great, helpful people. You can't tell because of a computer glitch but I've been a member for 6 years and find this place to be invaluable.
By all means, send us the picture of the eyelid.
We want to see the pictures of Daug anyway as we're pretty partial to basset hounds around here.

I hope I'm wrong and the 2nd eyelid may be benign but it can be an indication of glaucoma and increased pressure in the eye. It probably won't be glaucoma and it'll cost you money but, trust me, if it's not the peace of mind will be worth it (for me anyway :wink: )
I absolutely don't want to scare you but go anyway.
Glaucoma is a problem with basset hounds and unfortunately, I know about it first hand. My super wonderful hound, Francis, has it and it's been a trial for both of us, but he's been a trooper.
Once again, welcome!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First a picture of Daug....

And the second eyelid can be seen in this picture. It is a pink skin that both of my bassetts had (have). Daug will go to sleep with her eyes open, and this pink skin will raise up and cover her entire eyeball. I think all bassetts have this, and was just curious as to what purpose it served?

·
Registered
43 Posts
She is a cutey!!! Welcome
All i can tell you about the eyelid deal is: Shortly before my Toby died, his one eye kind of sunk into his head from loss of fat and the eyelid was very prominent Since this happened practically over nite i ran to the vet really freaked out, He just said, oh it's the second eyelid that it was to protect the eye Don't know if that helps or not When Simon is asleep his eyes look pretty gross to me (I am very squeemish) but the vet keeps telling me he is fine Just have her checked out for your pc of mind since bassets can have problems

·
Registered
43 Posts
P.S. The vet told me, it had to do with the shape of the eye and that shape is why they seem to get alot of "sleepers"
But bev is right they can have eye trouble

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Welcome to you and your 'Daug'. :) She is a beauty.

As stated before, this board has been invaluable to so many of us, as far as sharing experience, laughter, and sometimes, sadly, tears.
We all share a great love of our bassets.

I think Beveryl Anne gave you some good advice. I currently am owned by bassets No. 5 and 6, and have never seen this in any of my hounds...I think it would be wise to check it out. If there is a problem, it would probably be much easier to correct it now, than later. If their isn't, then you will have paid for some valuable peace of mind.

Sandy

·
Registered
511 Posts
My two have this too, but the only time I see the inner eye lid is when they sleep with their outer lids open, or when I watch them fall asleep, the inner lid closed just before the outer lid does. It is freaky sometimes when they lay there with "white" eyes.
Doing a quick web search, I found there are reasons for this inner lid, from extra lubrication to protection from sand and dirt. But if it also shows early signs of eye problems, because it covers the eye if it is irritated for any reason.
So it doesn't hurt to have her checked out.

·
Registered
807 Posts
As far as I know all dogs (and BTW cats) have the third eye lid aka as nictitating membrane.

Nictitating membranes are found in crocodiles, lizards, birds, frogs, most species of sharks, and some species of mammals. In humans, the nictitating membrane is the apparently useless pink lump in the inner corner of the eyes; it is permanently folded into that corner and no longer functions, apparently rendered redundant by evolution some time in the past.

Other than to protect the surface of the eye, this membrane has no role in
vision itself.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
What is a Nictitating Membrane?

"When animals evolved to live out of the ocean, they had to develop a way to keep their eyeballs moist in dry air and free of particles in dusty wind. Predators, especially, cannot risk blinking their eyes repetitively, lest they miss a scurrying mouse or hopping frog. The nictitating membrane allows them full vision as well as the benefits of blinking.

...The nictitating membrane of other mammals, like cats, dogs, and horses, only protrudes if they are ill. A visible haw could be a symptom of dehydration, tetanus, low body weight, or an abscess near the eye. "

AKC Basset Hound Breed Standard
"The eyes are soft, sad, and slightly sunken, showing a prominent haw, and in color are brown, dark brown preferred."
so not to worry about illness because of visible haw ( third eyelid, nictating membrane) in daug

Cherry Eye... Third Eyelid Eversion In The Dog
Is fairly common in the breed.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have never seen the third eyelid to the extent it is in this picture. So I looked it up. There's some good information on the Daily Drool, about Glaucoma, and it stated that it MAY be a sign. So it's a good idea to have it checked. If it's caught early enough, it may save their eyesight. From that article:

What are the signs?
The only way to know for sure if your pet has glaucoma is to have the intraocular pressures measured by a veterinarian. Signs of glaucoma can include a red or bloodshot eye and/or cloudy cornea. The 'third eyelid' - looking like a pink membrane, may be seen.

There's a lot of people on here with more knowledge about it than me, but I would have the test done, just to be safe, not sorry. :)

Sandy

·
Registered
782 Posts
I never, ever saw it in Francis until his pressures went up from the glaucoma. That's why I was nervous about his question but Francis's was more pink and prominent than Daug's.
She's a beauty.
Welcome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts