Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New study offers hope for paralysis patients
Dogs with paralyzed hind legs regained the ability to walk after getting a shot of a chemical cousin of antifreeze that helped repair nerve cells in their damaged spinal cords, scientists reported...

The treatment only worked on dogs given the injections within about three days of their injury. Some dogs not given the injections eventually walked again, but those getting the new treatment had a dramatically higher recovery rate...

In the study, 19 paraplegic dogs were injected with polyethylene glycol, or PEG — a nontoxic liquid polymer composed of long strings of the same type of molecules found in antifreeze.

Within eight weeks, 13 of the 19 canines, about 68 percent, regained the use of their hind legs and were able to walk, some almost as well as before their injury...

Although exactly how PEG works remains unclear, Borgens said it appears to act as a sort of “molecular Band-Aid” that forms a temporary seal over breaches in nerve cells in the spinal cord, aiding their healing process.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If this finding holds up in the long run, that's pretty exciting news for Basset owners, given all the back injuries we see.

A

·
0 Posts
My advice: don't let your bassets jump up on the bed or couch. I'm sure that genetics, plus this, caused Molly's problems. I can't otherwise explain an obedience totled, agility legged Senior hunting hound rabbbit ch. hurting herself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts