Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
360 Posts
Mine was like this in the beginning too. I got him from a shelter. I don't know if that has anything to do with it ...or if it's the naughty nature of the Basset Hound. They are adventuresome :lol: It was difficult in the beginning but I will tell you that it gets better, without a doubt. I can't say my Belvedere won't take off if he sees a squirrel or kitty crossing his path but he never tries to get out of the backyard.

I'd say just work on securing areas of your fence a bit at a time. Perhaps line the bottom of it with bricks or stones that will discourage him from pushing or digging out. As you've found out, they are single-minded when it comes to these things ...and then there's the social aspect of this. They want to go visiting! So take him often and make sure everyone in the neighborhood has been introduced to him. They will be on the look-out and will bring him back if he gets out. That was my first order of business when our little guy was in that phase. Keep his collar on him, with a clear address and phone number as well.

Work on getting a secure area for him. That's the best advice I can give. This is what they do :D

PS ...Both of mine require privacy to do their business. It rarely will happen on our leash walks. They have a chosen area of the backyard, which is out of view of any window or door.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.