Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I woke up Monday morning I didn't have a Basset Hound. When I went to bed last night I did. Here is the short version of the story.

My Father-in-law has worked in radio all his life. After he retired he almost went bonkers so he took a job pulling the morning shift at a small AM station about 25 miles away. For several years this worked out well for him. Then the owner of the station died and left everything to a son who has been in and out of jail most of his life. He said that he wanted to start over so my father-in-law stayed with him to help him. Now the boy is in jail again (boy. . . 52 years old.) My father-in-law is even holding three salary checks that bounced. We think he will go away for a long time this time.

Anyway, his girlfriend gave him a Basset for Christmas last year. She was called and asked to take the dog but she refused. My Father-in-law got the dog just so it wouldn't be abandoned and starve. He has one dog and does not need another one so I took him. I think he is about a year old and 50 pounds. Today I went to the vet on the rabies tag. The man owes her hundreds of dollars for shots, baths, neutering, worming, etc. She was good. Even though she is losing that money she still gave me copies of his records and told me what she knew about him. Heck, I felt sorry for her so I bought his heart worm medicine from her.

When we got him home yesterday we gave him a bath. He still stinks but we are getting there. I picked ticks off him and brushed his coat. Last night when I fell asleep on the couch and woke up a little later he was asleep on the floor in front of the couch. We made him a bed at the foot of our bed and he slept there all night. NO ACCIDENTS, so I guess he is house broken.

Right now he would rather get attention than eat but I am sure as he settles in that will change. Anyway, today I own a Basset Hound, not a breed that I ever paid much attention to, but that has won my heart in one day.

I am sure that I will have questions which is why I looked for and found this forum. I know that many of you will help.

Mark

As soon as I get some decent pics and figure out how to post them I will introduce you to Beau.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I took Beau to the Vet today to get him bathed, dipped and a pawdicure. The doctor found that he had an ear infection and has given me some drops for him. Maybe that will make him feel better. The only other immediate concern that I have is that he is not eating. Maybe when the infection gets better his appetite will pick up.

I am going to try and get some pictures posted this weekend so you all can see my baby.

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for your encouraging words. Yesterday he developed a cough and still was not eating and was quite lethargic. I took him to the vet today and he found he still had a fever even though his ears were better. He also found some enlarged lymph nodes. He ran a bunch of blood tests and everything was in the normal range except for his liver enzymes which were just outside the normal range. That is probably caused by the mementamax he is on for his ears. He decided that it was probably an upper respiratory infection and gave him a shot and some antibiotics for me to give him. I brought him home and then had to go make a hospital call about 75 miles away and hated to leave him. I called home mid afternoon and my son told me that he had eaten some. When I got home I fed him and he gobbled it all down. I think we are going to survive.

Again, that you all for your comments and support. HE'S PLAYING WITH ONE OF THE OTHERS DOGS SQUEEKY TOYS. YAAAA!

Mark :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.