Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I woke up Monday morning I didn't have a Basset Hound. When I went to bed last night I did. Here is the short version of the story.

My Father-in-law has worked in radio all his life. After he retired he almost went bonkers so he took a job pulling the morning shift at a small AM station about 25 miles away. For several years this worked out well for him. Then the owner of the station died and left everything to a son who has been in and out of jail most of his life. He said that he wanted to start over so my father-in-law stayed with him to help him. Now the boy is in jail again (boy. . . 52 years old.) My father-in-law is even holding three salary checks that bounced. We think he will go away for a long time this time.

Anyway, his girlfriend gave him a Basset for Christmas last year. She was called and asked to take the dog but she refused. My Father-in-law got the dog just so it wouldn't be abandoned and starve. He has one dog and does not need another one so I took him. I think he is about a year old and 50 pounds. Today I went to the vet on the rabies tag. The man owes her hundreds of dollars for shots, baths, neutering, worming, etc. She was good. Even though she is losing that money she still gave me copies of his records and told me what she knew about him. Heck, I felt sorry for her so I bought his heart worm medicine from her.

When we got him home yesterday we gave him a bath. He still stinks but we are getting there. I picked ticks off him and brushed his coat. Last night when I fell asleep on the couch and woke up a little later he was asleep on the floor in front of the couch. We made him a bed at the foot of our bed and he slept there all night. NO ACCIDENTS, so I guess he is house broken.

Right now he would rather get attention than eat but I am sure as he settles in that will change. Anyway, today I own a Basset Hound, not a breed that I ever paid much attention to, but that has won my heart in one day.

I am sure that I will have questions which is why I looked for and found this forum. I know that many of you will help.

Mark

As soon as I get some decent pics and figure out how to post them I will introduce you to Beau.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Looking forward to seeing pics of Beau! He is lucky to have come into your life (and you too!) I think you'll find that although a somewhat quirky breed, Bassets are the best! :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Welcome! Bassets are a very interesting breed! That is so awesome that you've taken on this hound. Can't wait to see some pictures!

~Heather

·
Registered
48 Posts
Awww! Bless your heart for taking him in! There are no such things as accidents, so get ready for the best ride of your life. What did you name him?

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
We made him a bed at the foot of our bed and he slept there all night. NO ACCIDENTS, so I guess he is house broken. ![/b]
Not necessarily just like humans and all mamals, dogs produce less urine and in a more concentrated form when sleeping so they can go a lot longer without an urge or need to go. This says nothing about what happens when the dog is active. It is better to assume he is not housetrained and loosen the reigns when he proves he is rather than let him have acess to the whole house when he is not.

Housetraining Your Puppy
A 12 wk puppy who is busy playing may need to urinate every 15-20 minutes, whereas a resting puppy might go for an hour, and a sleeping puppy can go 8 hours at night. Activity makes urine! Activity makes urine! Repeat this 10 times, slowly. This is a very important lesson for new puppy owners.[/b]
Jean Donaldson's Top 10 Dog Training Tips
Start off "tight" and slack off later, rather than letting him run wild for the first few weeks and then clamping down when the behavior isn't so cute anymore.

Don't wait for him to develop bad habits, like chewing the furniture or urinating on the carpet, before you intervene. Assume this behavior is likely to happen, and act preemptively to manage it before it develops.[/b]

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
If he still smells after his bath, check his ears.

Bassets need their ears cleaned on a regular basis to prevent yeast buildup and possible infections. I use a solution called Dermapet that I get from my vet- squeeze a little into the ear, rub the base, then reach way down into the ear canal with cotton balls/sterile gauze to swab the solution out.

I do this once weekly to prevent problems- my vet says Murray has the cleanest ears he's ever seen on a basset!

There are other things you can use, and your vet can show you how to clean the ears if you're unsure-

Good luck, and welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I took Beau to the Vet today to get him bathed, dipped and a pawdicure. The doctor found that he had an ear infection and has given me some drops for him. Maybe that will make him feel better. The only other immediate concern that I have is that he is not eating. Maybe when the infection gets better his appetite will pick up.

I am going to try and get some pictures posted this weekend so you all can see my baby.

Mark

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Do you know what he was eating at his old home? Maybe mixing the old food with whatever you're feeding him now, and gradually increasing the amt. of new food over a few days will help ease him into a new diet- did you mention to the vet that he's not eating?

·
Registered
782 Posts
FJRev, TRUST ME, no basset ever, ever died of starvation when there was food around. He'll eat eventually, he's just getting adjusted to his new life. I'm so happy for you guys. Bassets are not for everyone but if you're the basset type then you're in for the craziest times of your life. My guy is almost 10 but I still get so much happiness and so many laughs from him, he's a joy.
Hope to hear more from you!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm sure he's still recovering from being placed in a new home.
I know both of my bassets have at one time or another gone through a "separation anxiety" phase due to changes in our lives.
They've recovered!
I'm sure Beau will, too, and he'll feel at home enough to start eating.

I mostly wanted to say THANK YOU for having a big enough heart to take in a new family member.
It always makes me feel good to know there are people out there who care enough to know that pets of all kinds need us.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for your encouraging words. Yesterday he developed a cough and still was not eating and was quite lethargic. I took him to the vet today and he found he still had a fever even though his ears were better. He also found some enlarged lymph nodes. He ran a bunch of blood tests and everything was in the normal range except for his liver enzymes which were just outside the normal range. That is probably caused by the mementamax he is on for his ears. He decided that it was probably an upper respiratory infection and gave him a shot and some antibiotics for me to give him. I brought him home and then had to go make a hospital call about 75 miles away and hated to leave him. I called home mid afternoon and my son told me that he had eaten some. When I got home I fed him and he gobbled it all down. I think we are going to survive.

Again, that you all for your comments and support. HE'S PLAYING WITH ONE OF THE OTHERS DOGS SQUEEKY TOYS. YAAAA!

Mark :lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks all for your encouraging words. Yesterday he developed a cough and still was not eating and was quite lethargic. I took him to the vet today and he found he still had a fever even though his ears were better. He also found some enlarged lymph nodes. He ran a bunch of blood tests and everything was in the normal range except for his liver enzymes which were just outside the normal range. That is probably caused by the mementamax he is on for his ears. He decided that it was probably an upper respiratory infection and gave him a shot and some antibiotics for me to give him. I brought him home and then had to go make a hospital call about 75 miles away and hated to leave him. I called home mid afternoon and my son told me that he had eaten some. When I got home I fed him and he gobbled it all down. I think we are going to survive.

Again, that you all for your comments and support. HE'S PLAYING WITH ONE OF THE OTHERS DOGS SQUEEKY TOYS. YAAAA!

Mark :lol:[/b]
Yippee!! Hip Hip Arrroooo!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats..! I just rescued my third basset. I thought he was fine at first but then discovered he had giardia.. After many expensive treatments he's finally well.. at times I thought what am I doing, but with support of my husband, we kept with him.. He's wonderful and has brought so much joy having a young basset.. You will discover the same.. they are the best!

best of luck. and always search or ask here... everyone is so helpful and will provide humor when needed!

beatwig

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.