Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Yes re having to have my vet all the time, to do his nails. Harvey was our first (and yes, I believe he would have bitten me!) and I never managed to get him to coperate so it was off to the vet for this to be done on a regular basis :(

After him I 'conditioned' my hounds to accept this being done. I started by sitting with them in the evening when they were sleepy, touching the back feet first and moving to the front, no clipper in sight. Once they were reasonably ok with this, I moved onto introducing the clippers - back feet. The moment I got a reaction, I stopped, trying again the next day. Once that went ok, I moved to the front legs. It didn't happen in five minutes with some, but for sure, I was always able to clip nails with those following the first. We had a routine, Friday evenings, nails and ears.

You may be right about a previous experience with your lad (nice boy btw) because my Whippet doesn't like this being done. I tend to put that down to her breeder whipping round her feet just before we brought her home, and perhaps not being as gentle as she might! I have managed to get her to let me do her nails, but even at approaching 13 years now, she isn't happy to have this done. Which is why to be honest, her nails have never been as short as I like. Her feet are a different shape to those of a Basset of course. She doesn't wear them down on the hardish ground she is normally walked on.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts