Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

My name is Aja and I have just joined the forum. I joined so that I could learn more about this fantastic breed.

I was hoping that you guys could help point me in the direction of location excellent books, websites, and just general information about the breed. I am very interested in learning about their health issues, and what is being done in the ethical breeding community to help combat them.

I am also interested in (eventually) finding an ethical breeder. My searches online have been highly disappointing- I refuse to support any website like "nextdaypets" or puppymiller- and from what I have studied thus far, it seems that a majority of breeders only breed so called "pet quality" bassets. I am very interested in working with a dedicated ethical breeder, who excels in conformation, work, and does a series of health tests. I think that it would be lovely to do work and show with a basset-- but I am getting head of myself. First I would like to learn more!

If anyone has any helpful information I would be most appreciative if you could send it my way.

Thanks,

Aja

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hi, Aja and welcome to the forum. You are at the perfect place to find information about Bassets. Just read through the many posts already here and you can learn alot. Ask questions and many here are glad to help. Read the "Health and Genetics Forum" to see what type of problems you might encounter with a Basset.

A Basset isn't for everyone. They are stubborn; independent; some drool alot; they shed, and shed, and shed; they are bred to hunt rabbits and are scent hounds and their nose often gets them into trouble; they are pack anoimals and "you" become their pack; they have long backs and you need to be careful because of that on stairs and jumping off furniture, etc.; you have to watch their weight, they are chow hounds and are food motivated; they are prone to ear infections, and you have to keep their ears clean; if you want a dog that is instantly obedient a Basset isn't for you; they are also hard to housetrain; have a deep resounding bark and melodious Aroooooo; and they are not a watch dog. They are also a "big" dog even though they are short and low to the ground. Many are 50 t0 60 pound dogs at maturity. Many end up in Shelters or Rescue because people can't handle these traits.

If you can handle all that, then you will be rewarded with a wonderful, loving companion, who will keep you laughing with their antics and clownish expressions. They are wonderful family dogs, love people, and children, and generally get along well with other pets and animals.
One good book to read is "A New Owners Guide to Basset Hounds" that you can fine at PetCo, on the internet, etc. I has good overall info. Also look up the breed on the AKC site for the breed standard and info.

Arooooos from Bogie.
You don't own a Basset, a Basset owns you!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome! You've come to the right place, people in this forum can answer a lot of question and lend support. I'm fairly new at basset-ownership myself yet, but I can vouch that there is a lot of wisdom and honesty to be found here.

I might add to Bubba Leroy's list, that bassets can be destructive--they love to get into trash and eat paper towels, toilet paper, chew up furniture--just about anything. (Which of course can make for more health issues--mouth injuries and stomach problems). But not all bassets are like that! In my experience, I do think they are a bit more destructive than other breeds. They like company, and it doesn't hurt for them to have plenty of toys to keep them busy, I have found.

Like any breed, bassets have their pros and cons that have to mesh with what the owner can tolerate. My #1 difficulty with my basset hound, Daisy Jayne, was house-breaking--she's 14 months old and still has the occasional accident, though she's getting a lot better. Not that I like her having accidents in the house, far from it, but I understand that that's the way the breed is, and that this will pass. She's gotten better and continues to improve, so I have faith in her.

The chewing is a nuisance but not a really huge issue for me--I have children who can destroy things just about as badly (if not worse), and I wouldn't give them up, LOL!

HOWEVER, the rewards of their love and companionship are endless and really makes all the difficulties of basset ownership a lot more bearable.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You sound like an experienced dog person; are you an owner of another breed, a breeder or someone who participates in conformation or performance events?

Here are the steps I would take:

1.Go to the Basset Hound Club of America Website where you will find links to: Basset Hound Publications and all sorts of valuable information about the breed.

2. Then I would go to a list of Member Clubs and find a Basset Hound Club in your area. Contact them and ask when their next event takes place. Great way to meet breeders and other basset hound owners.

3. I would also check out the BHCA Breeder Directory and see if there is a breeder that lives near you. Ask if you can meet them and their dogs.

4. I would also find AKC events in my area by doing an Events Search. You can search by dates, location and type of event.

As you have found the WWW is not the place to find a quality basset hound or a reputable breeder. Though reputable breeders do have websites they don't sell puppies online.

This should be a good start. Enjoy your hunt for basset hound information and Welcome to Cyberhound. If you have any questions I'm sure there's someone here who can help you out.

T

·
0 Posts
Good advice, as always, everyone. Welcome to the Boards, Aja.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm also a new bassett owner, and this site has been great for both serious subjects and for just knowing that no, you are not alone when your bassett is doing THAT.

One thing I'll add to the other great comments is that bassetts are a *talking* breed for the most part. My Sebastien keeps an almost constant commentary running, from mumbles & moos to 'singing' along to American Idol (he seems to like Taylor best). This can get tiresome at times, despite your love for them. Some people do not care for talky pets. We had a burmeese cat before, and so a yacky pet is something this household is just used to. And bassetts can also be drama queens - Sebi is well known for throwing himself down with a huge sigh if his whims are not given into, and that's just the start.

All that said, this is a wonderful, sweet, gentle and devoted breed. In addition to some more 'serious' reading, I recommend you leaf through a copy of "The Tao of Maggie' for a more personal and relaxed view of these dogs.

Oh, and they are attention getters of course. Be prepared to have many people approach you and coo over your bassett if you choose to get one!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everyone,

Thank you for all the helpful replies! I am currently in college and do not own a dog of my own, however I have grown up with an array of animals as my family is very actively involved in rescue. Currently I work for two different rescue groups that work with American Pit Bull Terriers. It is my love for that breed that made me so aware of the problems with breeding ethics, treatment of animals, and the pros and cons of the pure bred dog.

I have never done any show or work before, but I am very interested in learning more about it. As far as breeding goes- I have often said that I will not breed until there is no longer a population crisis- however, I could very well see myself years in the future to breeding a worthy dog. That is particularly why I am interested in the basset- I am familiar of some of the major health problems this breed faces like vWD and backyard breeder tendencies to overexaggerate ear and eye features, etc, and could possibly, far in the future, breed to eliminate or lessen these problems.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome everyone, I look forward to posting here!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts