Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...Firstly, I'm Brandon the proud owner of two bassets, Tucker and Bo. Tucker, the youngest at 8 months, has been having a hard time walking for the past week or so. He started out limping on the left hind leg but now he's having trouble putting weight on the front left leg as well. I took him to the vet this morning and they sent some blood work off thinking it may be Valley fever (we live in Phoenix) or tick fever. However, he doesn't display any other symptoms apart from the limping and maybe a mild lack of appetite. He hasn't lost any weight, he's actually gained three pounds since last month (he's 38 pounds now). He still plays and harasses Bo and eats and drinks water. No coughing or any lung symptoms. I'm keeping him in his crate for another couple of days per the vet and he's got some anti-inflammatories and some pain meds to take. Has anyone got any ideas here? He's gotten to where he can put weight on his back leg and sometimes he walks just fine. It's kinda weird.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Pano is a common cause of limping in young large breed dogs.Sometimes Vets can tell through x-rays,sometimes not.Crate rest is best,no walks ,or at least make them short walks.You just baby the symptoms ,as long as the other things have been ruled out. If it is pano it could end at anytime or go on for a long time.I had a 4 month old I did not put up for sale till she was 10 months old because that is how long she was limping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking after having read some of the other posts on here. I don't really think it's any kind of viral thing as he has no other symptoms other than the limping. That's for the reply! I'll be posting pics here soon and I'll be checking out the site regularly! Thanks!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I agree with Bubbad. My youngest pup Virga was limping about a week ago and the vet suggested crate rest and prescribed pain killers also. She's not limping anymore so just follow the vet's orders and he'll be fine. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did it it just happen all of a sudden? We left them with a friend of ours for a weekend about two weeks ago and then when we got home he was just limping. And this morning, he just all of a sudden started holding his front paw (same side) up like it was hurting too.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It came on gradually for us. One day early in the morning she was limping slightly and by then end of the day every time she'd sit she would hold her paw up. We don't know what she did to cause the limping. But she was fine after pain killers and crate rest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts