Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have been reading online as much as possible about bassets-training, behaviors, what to expect, etc. I have a basset puppy picked out, he is only 5 weeks old so it will be a few weeks before I can get him though!

We obviously have never owned a basset. Until January, we were the very proud owners of a lovely male rottweiler. Unfortunately he became very ill and even with vet care, did not make it. He is greatly missed. My husband didn't want another pet. But my kids and I did-not so much to replace our beloved Rottie but because we did miss the companionship of having a dog home with us.

My husband kept looking at bassets on craigslist that people were rehoming. I wasn't sure at first, but then an aquaintence told me her dog had puppies-pure bred bassets. Well the husband jumped at that, so here we are!

The more I read about them, the more excited I get. Don't laugh-husband has decided to name ours Flash, from the dukes of hazard I guess. I named our cats so it is only fair ;) Sounds like bassets are about as opposite of a rottie as you can get, I am up for the challenge though.

anyway, enough rambling. My main question is this-what are some names of good pet insurance? And how can you tell if it is accepted by your vet (or if they accept the vet, not sure how it works?) After reading about possible spinal problems and other injuries, I want something there to help, if ever needed. We didn't have it with our rottie and we managed to be quite lucky with him being very healthy most of his life, but I know better than to push my luck!

Also, I keep reading about crate training. What length of crate do you all recommend? I currently have a 24 inch long one (which I know isn't going to be big enough). Is it possible Flash will fit in it at all in the beginning, or should I just go buy a new one? And do I want a 36 inch or 40 inch?

thanks for any help you can provide me. Sorry for any typos, it is only midnight!

If it works, I am trying to attach a semi current picture of Flash for you all, because everyone loves puppy pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Flash is definitely very cute!

I know not one thing about pet insurance so am no help there. I would imagine you could go to your vet, or call, and ask them if they have a preferential insurance company they work with.

As for the crate, Annie has been in one since I brought her home. I'll have to measure it to see what size it is. When she was a puppy I went about things all wrong with the crate thing LOL. I bought the one she has now and just let her have full reign of it. I should have used the partition that came with it to reduce the size. But she turned out ok so I guess I didn't permanently damage her psyche lol. But you can get a pretty good idea of what size Flash will be when full grown if you take a look at his parents.

Anyways, some pretty knowledgeable folks will be along shortly and they will have some better answers for you.

Welcome!!! And you're right, we love pictures :)

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
And how can you tell if it is accepted by your vet (or if they accept the vet, not sure how it works?)
many pet if not most work on a reinbursment principal very different then human heath insurance. in you have to pay up front submit claim to insurance compnay and they reinbursde you wha they will pay. As far as what the vet accepts the best thing is to contact your vet directly

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses. I am in a small town with larger cities about an hour either direction from me, so I am not sure if my vet has much clue about it! I know that he didn't recommend it when we originally got the rottie, but that was a long time ago. I guess I will add that to my list of errands to do tomorrow-call the vet!

Thanks again. And just for fun...here is a pic of him at not quite 2 weeks old.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
it possible Flash will fit in it at all in the beginning, or should I just go buy a new one? And do I want a 36 inch or 40 inch?
If you start with one that is adult size when the adust to that one you don't have to worry about what happen when you later swap the crate out some dog don't adjust that well to such a change. 36" works for most except the bigger dogs that like to sleep streched out instad of curled up If you have the space for a 40 -42 I would go with that there is rarely a problem wiht too big.

That said when using a crate to help house train then you do not whant the pup to have too much room in the crate. Rather than a den it can become a hous on corner is the kitchen another the bath room and a thrid a bedroom. Bany manufactures have ther own divider that can be used to make the interior of the creat smaller and by moving the diver exand the inside as the puppy grows. An aternitive if filling the inside with appropriate size boxes to take up the exess space.

Keep in mind there is a difference between crate training, teaching the dog to be comfortable when in a crate, then using the crate to assiste in house training which helps prevents accident when the puppy can;t be closely supervised and two teaches the puppy to hold it . It is best actual crat train the puppy first before using the crate a a house training tool.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Awww, Flash is adorable!

As for crate, I wish I had gotten a larger one from the beginning, now Boomer needs a bigger one. I plan on donating his old one to a local shelter, but I feel like I wasted my money not getting him the right size one in the beginning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
we just adopted a basset pup named flash as well!!!!! he is tan black and white!!! he seems to be very very smart! good luck with your pup!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awww, Flash is adorable!

As for crate, I wish I had gotten a larger one from the beginning, now Boomer needs a bigger one. I plan on donating his old one to a local shelter, but I feel like I wasted my money not getting him the right size one in the beginning.
This is what I am worried about. This crate was basically given to me, so i took it (it was five bucks lmao) I figure if nothing else, I can put the cats in it at the same time. So not a huge waste. I have been looking at wire kennels (that is what this is, btw) the only one really available without an hour drive doesn't have a divider-BUT! it is at walmart and my husband gets a discount there! He thinks this will work at first to buy us some time.

Now...since I have never owned a basset, what would you all, as experienced owners, like to offer as advice? We do not have a fenced yard, he may occasionally get tied out but mainly will be on leash at first. I know not to let him off leash (which is completely opposite of my rottie, he always stayed right with us no matter where we were!)

we basically live outside all summer long, unless I am at work of course. We go camping and fishing a lot, takes drives, etc. We plan on bringing him with us a good majority of the time. I love having doggies as companions :) My boys are very excited about getting him, my 9 year old hasn't seen him yet except in pictures and my 4 year old got to hold him at 2 weeks old, when we picked him out. they both were great with the rottie so I don't really foresee any problems with a basset, at least I hope not!

Any ideas on introducing the puppy to our cats? One is an 11 year old cat, I got her from the pound when she was young enough to be bottlefed still. Then last year we acquired a stray cat, approx 6 months old, that had frostbite and resp. issues. She never did like our dog, would literally tip toe around the dog. the older cat would just walk by like she owned him-but she basically did. When we first got him, she clawed his nose numerous times and he learned that cats are NOT a chew toy fast. It was amusing to see a 150 lb rottie scared of cats I will say!

I guess I worry that since flash will seem smaller than taz was, that my cats will hurt him. Do I let them just "fight" it out like we did before, or do I lock up either the cats or the dog to introduce them, any suggestions?

sorry, i will be asking a million questions for awhile. If I ask too many, tell me to shush....I will try to listen ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we just adopted a basset pup named flash as well!!!!! he is tan black and white!!! he seems to be very very smart! good luck with your pup!
Awww! Another flash! Hubby said that flash on dukes of hazard was a tricolor female. But instead we have a brown and white male-he still insists on that name though. So flash it is!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have been looking at wire kennels
Having just got our Chuck a few short months ago, I would recommend a plastic one. Bassets are harder to potty train than other breeds I've had in the past. If they have an accident in a wire kennel while you are away, you're flooring is going to get damaged. With the plastic one you can just take it outside and hose it out.

My boys are very excited about getting him, my 9 year old hasn't seen him yet except in pictures and my 4 year old got to hold him at 2 weeks old, when we picked him out. they both were great with the rottie so I don't really foresee any problems with a basset, at least I hope not!
Chuck is great with our 5 year old, my nieces and my step kids. He just LOVES everyone (including the cat)!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy! He's adorable! As for the crate, when we first got Doppler, we used the wire kennel my parents gave me. It's about 30in long. He quickly got too big for it so my in-laws bought him his first plastic kennel. It's about 36in long. When we got Virga, we started her out in the wire kennel and thought she would stay in that for the rest of her life. But we realized Doppler's kennel was too short for him so my in-laws bought him his 42in long kennel and we moved Virga into the 36in long plastic crate. That's what they're still in to this day. They both sleep different ways. Doppler likes to sleep stretched out so he needed a longer crate. But Virga sleeps curled up so it really doesn't matter what size her crate is but we think she likes her big den.

As for introducing your puppy to the cats, it might be best to crate the puppy and let the cats sniff at their leisure. It'll make the cats feel more secure I think. After a few minutes, you could probably let Flash out. Make sure the cats have somewhere they can escape from the puppy. A baby gate would work. Also, make sure the cats' food is up and the puppy can't get to it. My mom's dog loves to eat the cat's food back home.

And please please please post more pictures when you get the chance!!! Baby bassets are always enjoyed around here. Looking forward to hearing stories when you get Flash home. Good luck! And any questions you have we'll do our best to answer!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
When puppies are introduced to cat the cat ussually put then in their place and the relationship remains on that footing from there in. Especial cats that have dog experience.

Indroducing dog and cats

How to Introduce a Puppy to the Resident Cat

to different approaches with dog savey cats and puppies IMHO you do not need to be as cautiious as in other combinations. A dog savey cat will stand up to the puppy.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I can't say enough good things about Petplan for your insurance question. Petplan accepts all treatment from any certified vet in the US. It is a reimbursement type system. So you take a form with you to the vet and have them fill it out when something happens (it's only 1 page long). You pay your bill. Then you send in your receipt and your dog's records and they send you a check. How much depends on the plan you choose.

We have the 100% after $200 plan. So for example Anabelle had a neck injury a month or so back and our bill was about $300. So we had the vet fill out the form, we paid the $300, faxed the form + her records to Petplan, and within about a week we got a check for $100, the difference between our deductible and the bill amount. If we were to go back for a return visit for the same problem, that would be covered entirely because we'd already paid our deductible for that illness/accident. It's a very easy process and I'm honestly surprised there aren't more people who do it.

Routine visits and dental is not covered so you have to budget that separately. It is just for unexpected illnesses and accidents, though they do cover genetic defects and long term illnesses for life, including cancer, which many insurance companies exclude.

Like any other insurance you lose money if nothing happens.

My policy number is ALZ1000195-00.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After reading about bassets and the problems they could possibly have (spinal injuries, eye issues, etc), I thought it was a good idea to get the insurance. My husband on the other hand, thinks it isn't cost effective. The most we paid on one animal in a year was just over 200 bucks on a cat with respiratory issues and frostbite and scarring in her eye-and that 200 or so included getting her spayed, vaccinated, etc.

So based on our experiences, it sounds like we would lose money. BUT if something did happen, we just don't have that kind of money laying around. Sure, I will probably be able to "borrow" the money from my dad, but if it is a large amount (like for a surgery-which would require going out of town btw) then he probably wouldn't do it, knowing it would take awhile to repay him.

Ugh, I am just frustrated. I want to do it, DH says no. I see it all the time in my parenting message board about how much pet insurance has helped and allowed them to do what was needed. I need to price them again, ones I googled last night were like 50 and 60 a month-that is about what shots run total in my little town.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats on Flash! We adopted a basset named Flash years ago and lost him to cancer. He got our family hooked on the breed. We just recently adopted Fred, another amazing, loving basset.
Best of luck to you and the family with him!
As for pet insurance....I recommend it. Bassets tend to have back and joint problems, sometimes requiring pricey surgeries (but well worth it, if you ask me!). God forbid anything happened to him and you couldn't help him out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Having just got our Chuck a few short months ago, I would recommend a plastic one. Bassets are harder to potty train than other breeds I've had in the past. If they have an accident in a wire kennel while you are away, you're flooring is going to get damaged. With the plastic one you can just take it outside and hose it out.

Chuck is great with our 5 year old, my nieces and my step kids. He just LOVES everyone (including the cat)!
For the most part, he is going to be with us except for things like grocery shopping. But there is only about a 2 hour window (and not even that long, that would be the longest) he will ever really be home "alone". I am not too worried, but I do plan on possibly buying some puppy pads (or using old towels) to set the kennel on just in case.

It sounds as if I may get him in approx. 2 weeks. All the pups are eating puppy food now. she said the vet only wants one to leave at a time, so that the mama's milk supply basically does not go crazy? I have never had a dog who had puppies, so no clue on that one. Otherwise she would have given him to me next week she said :( I know it is better to be with mama and litter mates but I can't help but want him right now...I wonder where my kids' get their lack of patience from???

Oh! Another questions (I warned everyone!) What kind of puppy food do you recommend? I believe they are on puppy chow now and I am willing to keep with that but thought i would see if there is anything better to slowly switch him to? My rottie did amazingly well on Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul dog food. He filled out but didn't get fat, looked good, soft shiny coat. So I thought about that for him (if there is an appropriate puppy formula).

·
Registered
761 Posts
Our dogs were on IAMS puppy food. They did well on it. It's not too expensive and can be found at WalMart. They're coats are shiny and smooth too. Virga is getting moved up to adult food :(. She's not really a puppy anymore!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
even the wire ones come with the little tray inserts for underneath tho dont they?
Welcome, Charady!

yeah, Esther's right-- we have a wire one & there is a plastic tray. *knock on wood* Worm's never had an accident there (that we know of-- suppose it's possible he could've eaten the evidence... gross thought!!)

we continued him on his breeder's puppy food. at about 6-7 months, per breeder, we changed him to adult dog food.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Ugh, I am just frustrated. I want to do it, DH says no. I see it all the time in my parenting message board about how much pet insurance has helped and allowed them to do what was needed. I need to price them again, ones I googled last night were like 50 and 60 a month-that is about what shots run total in my little town.
at 5,000 a year you might want to consider the alternitive to insurance which is becoming some what self insured you could put aside the mony you would pay for insurance into a seperate accounbt for pet bill andemergency bill when you get 5-10,OOO you would then have the safety margin you desire. while at the same time not spending an fatting the pockets of the insurance company. at 50-60 a month it wold take only a year or two to accomplish. Long term seem like a better deal. and meet you and your husbands needs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts