Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The kids are learning to play nice together and not get too rambunctious and I think George is used to having a sister now. Here they are having a game of bitey face -- and GEORGE started the game. We're making progress.

And here's His Royal Highness doing his best magazine cover smile:

And Princess Gigi's best cover girl pose:

George doing what he does best:

Gigi is learning to be a couch potato:

·
Registered
465 Posts
George is very handsome. Gigi has a beautiful coat now. She's so shiny. She's a lucky girl! :)
Right now, Captain is playing bitey face with Elmer, while Button watches from the arm of the sofa! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Good to see them getting along so well. Gigi seems to have made herself at home, she is a beautiful dog, very shiny coat and George of course is very handsome.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'm so glad things are working out, they look really good together. What did the vet say about GiGi? It looks likes she might have nursed a litter? I bet she is very happy to be off the streets!
Joan

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vet agrees that's she probably had at least one litter, which would explain her fascination with puppies -- she seems to be searching for her own, poor baby. He said she's between 2 and 4 and in good health other than her ears, which are almost healed now. We've got her on heartworm preventative and she'll be spayed next Monday.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If she could talk, I'd have an easier time housetraining her and would remind her, when she has Ballistic Lab Episodes, that she's lucky we took her in. :lol: "Hey, Gigi! You COULD still be out on the street or worse yet, in the pound. Work with me here, huh???? Please don't drive Mommy to drink!"

·
Registered
28 Posts
I missed the post where you described how you obtained GIGI, but from what I gather she is a stray you have adopted. I, too, have a chocolate lab, Sadie, in addition to my hounds. GIGI is a very pretty girl and if I were to guess her age I would guess closer to 2 yrs old than 4, judging from the gray hair and teeth. Sadie just turned 9 on Aug 31.
Sadie was not fully housetrained until she was around 8 months old, but once trained she was 100% accident free. She will not have an accident no matter what happens or how long she has to hold it, and trust me when it is raining outside she can hold it for a long, long time!
GIGI just needs more time, she’ll get it.

Roscoe and Elvis on the other hand will have accidents if we do not let them out within 5 minutes of them going to the back door.

Elvis loves his Sadie, and your first picture looks just like them (if you add 40 pounds to GIGI’s tummy and a little more gray around the muzzle, and then there is the missing tooth… oh, where have the 9 years gone?)

My wife has posted pictures of Sadie and the boys on the forum somewhere under the username Peachesndiesel.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A quick recap of how we became Lab parents: Gigi was hanging around the neighborhood but mostly our house for several days. She finally moved in under our deck and I started leaving food and water out for her but she wouldn't let us near. On Saturday, Aug. 19 (the day I've designated as her birthday since I don't know when it really is) I called her "G.G." (short for "good girl") and she suddenly popped up her head and got all excited and actually RAN to me to be petted. So we decided that must sound like whatever her name was before and we decided to call her Gigi. We talked her into coming into the house after much persuasion on the Sunday, and she immediately took over the couch, but we still haven't managed to get housetraining through her head, so we have lots of messes to clean up. We put her outside on the same schedule George has (we take turns since we only have one long lead and no fence) and we take them both for walks but when we put her out she mostly stands at the back door on her hind legs, peering through the glass at us and wanting back in, rather than going out in the yard and doing her business. On walks she usually stops once to pee, but rarely to poop, even with George setting the example. She seems to prefer doing THAT inside. Sigh.

For what it's worth, I think she's more like 2 also. She's still very puppyish in her behavior and doesn't seem to have quite grown into her feet.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Both dogs look healthy and happy...you are so great for taking Gigi in. She'll catch on to the training issue. If Moose can do it, anyone can. He's not quite playing with a full deck, if ya know what I mean! ;)

Sandy

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She's had pups, but not that recently, unless she'd been out on her own for several weeks before we got her, and she wasn't skinny enough for that and hadn't nursed recently. Our guess was that they took the pups away, probably too soon, and she either escaped to look for them or got dumped. She didn't belong to anyone in our neighborhood because we've been all over it and no one recognizes her.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts