Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the family recently procured an adorable lemon/cream basset puppy whom was born on 6/6/06 (an omen?) So we've decided to name him Einstein due to his bogglingly intelligent nature and curiousity (as well as penchant for mischief.)

So naturally given the newfound love for Basset Hounds the search went up for like-minded individuals.. hence bringing me and Einstein here. A few questions my four-legged cohort and I have is if it is normal for Basset puppies to seem incredibly thin for a few months, or should it be cause for worry? Furthermore the younger Basset ailment called Paneosteitis seems to be manifesting occasionally in his back hips. Should this also be cause for great concern or has any owner here had a hound that suffered from it? Last on my list of questions is have I forever lost the lions share of my bed to a snoring, dreaming Basset hound?

For all Einstein is worth, for being such a young and tender thing I could truly not have asked for a more unique dog. He's learned at a stunning rate many commands... although he continues to have issues with housebreaking, I read elsewhere on the forums they tend to be slower training in that department. I figure all the reading on Basset Hounds in the world doesn't give the full picture until I've interacted with owners of said canines.

So with that said, Einstein and I are new additions to these forums hopefully!

·
Registered
42 Posts
have I forever lost the lions share of my bed to a snoring, dreaming Basset hound?[/b]
I can answer YES, most definitely, to that one. :lol:

I've raised 3 bassets from puppyhood over the years and have never had a problem with any of them being too thin. Quite the opposite. I suppose that can vary with the individual dog, as bassets come in all shapes and sizes. Have you asked your vet about his weight? I'm afraid I don't have any experience with the Paneosteitis.

Congratulations on your new puppy!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
"O'er fields quite grand runs a slobbery beast over the land.
Ever baying and tromping, the oaf roams a-stomping.
As I sit and see every personality facet, I cannot help but smile and cherish my Basset"

What a great poem!

I'd check with your vet about the weight and pano-Murray suffered with it for a short time in his front legs when he was very young, I can't remember his age at the time exactly- your vet can advise you best as to what you can do to help him-

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My boy Lightning was thin as a puppy, and I wondered if he'd ever be a normal weight. He was healthy as a horse, just couldn't eat enough to keep his weight up. Boy has that changed! He's about 7 now and has been on diet food for several years. He'll eat anything not nailed down. Also, I've found Lightning very easy to train, as long as there's something in it for him (this is where his love of food comes in really handy). Just the other night I "taught" him to crawl across the floor (I was trying to get him to stretch out). As long as I had kibble in my hand, he was a willing student. As soon as I ran out of food he was done.

I love the name Einstein and can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*smiles warmly to everyone*

Thankee all for the kind welcomes! Einstein is quite the active and rambunctious little thing. Thus far his favorite "toys" seem to be the broom and mop, he will happily race around the apartment for as long as someone is willing to drag it for him. He also cherishes his golf ball to no ends.

The missus and I were also wondering if anyone has any experience with scent training Bassets. He's got a powerful nose on him and we were wanting to see him utilize it to the best of his ability and provide a new game he can play. My idea was hide a treat or a bit of food in a sock, let him snuffle it for a bit and then stash it somewhere. But beyond that we have no way to really grab his attention and hold it in order for him to root it out.

As far as pictures go, rest assured there will be -plenty- as time goes by showing the different "evolutionary" stages Einstein goes through.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Your new pup sounds adorable! Can't wait to see pics. One word of advice, though - leave the sock out of the hide and seek with the kibble. Several Bassets I know have eaten socks and required surgery. Try putting the treats in a Kong or similar toy. Good luck with :) :) your baby!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts